Cart on musiciansfriend.com Will Not Work Topic is solved

For support with specific websites

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
Please always mention the name/domain of the website in question in your topic title.
Please one website per topic thread (to help keep things organized). While behavior on different sites might at first glance seem similar, they are not necessarily caused by the same.

Please try to include any relevant output from the Toolkit Error Console or the Developer Tools Web Console using the following procedure:
  1. Clear any current output
  2. Navigate or refresh the page in question
  3. Copy and paste Errors or seemingly relevant Warnings into a single [ code ] block.
davesnothere
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Cart on musiciansfriend.com Will Not Work

Unread post by davesnothere » 2021-02-23, 05:48

Hi,

I've been to musiciansfriend.com plenty of times in the past, but only browsing the site, so I don't know when the site began this [mis]behaviour.

Recently, I tried to put something into the cart to figure out shipping costs etc., and the cart shows as still empty, only offering to let me continue shopping.

I am currently trying this on a Windows 7 PC with a fresh install of Pale Moon 29.0.1 and no extensions added, because another install on a different PC had extensions, and I wanted to eliminate them from blame.

In comparison, the current Chromium-based Edge works properly with this site on the same Win 7 PC, and so does FireFox 78.7.1 esr, but I would rather not use those browsers if possible, for a variety of reasons.

For several other unrelated sites on various versions of Pale Moon, I have had success at overcoming issues by adding a user agent override string in about:config, but this site has not responded to anything which I've tried.

Does anyone know of a string which will fix the site's cart and checkout functionalities, or any other setting changes which I might need to make ?

Thanks. :)

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Cart on musiciansfriend.com Will Not Work

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-02-23, 06:09

Clear the error console (tools-web developer-error console, and press clear), reload the page in question and see if there are any error messages shown.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

davesnothere
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by davesnothere » 2021-02-23, 17:38

Thanks for the repy.

I get the below new error after clearing the console and reloading a product page.

Timestamp: 02-23-2021 12:33:19 PM
Error: ReferenceError: customElements is not defined
Source File: https://static.musiciansfriend.com/cmn/ ... 20.0d&cb=2
Line: 642

The page looks as it should, but the cart not working persists when I try to use it, with no additional errors logged.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-02-23, 19:12

Well that is your answer.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-02-23, 19:24

Maybe they should read: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24004
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

davesnothere
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by davesnothere » 2021-02-23, 23:16

Very terse answers, but thanks.

Tobin, the trouble is that I do not understand enough of the code which I see at the linked page of the console error message.

Moonchild, based upon the post at your linked page, it seems that the gist of what you are saying is that the site is using a customized element on the page, and that this is breaking how Pale Moon deals with the page.

My remaining question is :

Is there a way to make Pale Moon fully work with the page/site, or not ?

A useragent override, such as you include in PM for a number of other sites, and update every time the browser is updated, is what I was hoping would be possible.

I have successfully applied such patches myself for several sites in the recent past, and when they do work, they work VERY well.

Or if anything else can be adjusted in PM, please tell me.

Thanks.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-02-24, 00:36

davesnothere wrote:
2021-02-23, 23:16
Is there a way to make Pale Moon fully work with the page/site, or not ?
You have it reverse. The question is: Is there a way to make the page/site work fully in Pale Moon?

No, not at this time. CustomElements (which is a specific specification, not a descriptive expression) is part of Google WebComponents. Because of the way the WebComponents specification is designed it is an all-or-nothing specification and while we have a majority of the needed code implemented, it makes little difference as long as we don't have exactly all of it.
So the only way the site as it is now is going to work is by either providing fallback code for browser that do not implement CustomElements, or providing a polyfill or shim to fill in what the site requires to work fully.

A useragent override only changes the way the browser identifies itself to websites (to trigger specific fallback code if present, as is common practice on many websites but not all); it doesn't magically provide nonexistant functionality out of thin air. So unless there is actual fallback code the website provides (which would be good practice!) changing the identification will not do anything.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

davesnothere
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by davesnothere » 2021-02-26, 01:28

Thanks for the detailed followup.

You even answered some questions which I had not directly asked.

That said, you had me at 'Google'. :lol: :roll:

Unfortunately, they are behind a lot of unpleasantries these days.

As the site in question is in business to sell merchandise, I guess that one next step would be for people like me to let them know that they are losing business, by allowing web designers to deliver to them sites/pages which do not let significant groups of customers BUY anything.

And there are other sites which carry most of the items which they do, often for competitive prices.

Cheers !