hanging on a session with too many tabs.

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
porotikos
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

hanging on a session with too many tabs.

Unread post by porotikos » 2021-02-19, 19:58

hello.
i have a ryzen 2600 pc with 16 gb of ram.
i always have many many tabs and windows open. around 20 windows and 450 tabs open in total.
That is a lot, but i use BarTabTycho, so not all tabs are actually loaded. and in task manager o always have enough ram.
But after a while (could be some hours), pale moon starts to show some freezes. it freezes, it unfreezes and so on.
if i exit pale moon and reload the session, everything is back to normal for some hours.
if there is a freeze that doesntr unfreeze and it crashes, i cant reload the session no matter what. i have to find an earlier session to restore.
This has been going on for a year.
i never reported anything because, i open 450 tabs. noone would take me seriously lol.

But i would like to ask, is there some setting i may change in order for pale moon to have enough resources to work well without freezes? any suggestions? thank you guys

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: hanging on a session with too many tabs.

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-02-19, 23:27

It also depends on which websites you visit.
While with the correct combination of extensions you can make do with a lot of tabs in a way or another, some websites are known for being absolutely disgusting and will cause problems no matter what.

porotikos
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by porotikos » 2021-02-20, 07:21

thank you for the reply my friend.
in any case, is there some parameter i can adjust - increase, in pale moon settings, that perhaps could help? even if there will be eventually some problems due to specific sites etc?
cheers

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-02-20, 09:03

I'm afraid that aside from the fact that some websites can cause content retention issues (i.e. not properly cleaning up after themselves), your use is simply pushing the administrative limits of the browser.
Every tab you have opened has to internally be administered and handled for every window -- especially when using BarTab, you may end up with a lot of overhead for each tab that all adds up and contributes to the slowdown, as I think it hooks into progress listeners, web navigation and the session manager in every tab opened.

I'm actually working on a replacement extension at the moment that should work better for your use, but you're still pushing the limits of the browser's design with your current use so try to make more use of bookmarks and less of volatile open tabs (as there is the constant risk you will lose all of it if something goes awry with your session).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

porotikos
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by porotikos » 2021-02-20, 09:19

Thank you so much for your answer. i hear you. and i never complained about pale moon, because i understand that i am pushing it beyond its limits, and my use is not typical, therefore all the blame is to me.
Thank you for the updated app you are working on.
I understand my risks. thats why i use session manager, to have some sort of session lifesaver.
Thank you again. i will patiently wait for the new addon.
Take care

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2021-02-21, 05:57

I usually use Pale Moon in the same manner like you, at least 15 windows with an average of 200 tabs open. There is no problem except using pages like Facebook, wich when they reach 1800-2000 MB -memory, become slow and is slowing the browser (profile). My advice is for such a pages to use a separate profile.
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64

porotikos
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by porotikos » 2021-02-21, 12:52

thank you friend. i could try that. cheers

Kendo

Unread post by Kendo » 2021-02-21, 19:26

badnick wrote:
2021-02-21, 05:57
at least 15 windows with an average of 200 tabs open
Wow! I don't get anything like that before it stops responding. Had the same problem with the 64-bit version so switched to 32-bit hoping that it would use less memory but it makes little difference.

I usually only have 3-4 tabs open to minimize consumption and have been running PM alongside Firefox (Dev) with the same tabs, namely a freelancer site and a live chat support window with Task Manager monitoring performance and CPU/ram consumption, and what I have noticed is that on launch PM consumes 290 MB and FF 466 MB which looks good for PM until more tabs are opened. New tabs like Facebook or online shopping sites in PM cost 150-200 MB each.

Closing tabs one would expect to regain memory and FF does but PM never fully recovers. If I run PM with my usual 2 tabs plus Facebook, within 3-4 hours memory consumption reaches 1.4 GB and more. When shopping online with 10 or more tabs open it soon becomes unresponsive... hyperlinks not working and typing in web forms most tedious with letters appearing a long time later.

I am running Win10 Pro, i9 with 64 GB ram and the only way I can get through the day is by restarting.

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2021-02-21, 20:03

Kendo wrote:
2021-02-21, 19:26
I am running Win10 Pro, i9 with 64 GB ram and the only way I can get through the day is by restarting.
Waw! You have I9 /64 G-Ram and you can't drive more than few tabs? Something is wrong with your system.
My system is only I3/16 G -Ram, and I have permanently 3 Pale Moon profiles open.
How I said I am running separate profile for Facebook and I have made some settings for a litle visible improvement on Facebook navigation.
PM last/64

Kendo

Unread post by Kendo » 2021-02-22, 00:15

badnick wrote:
2021-02-21, 20:03
Waw! You have I9 /64 G-Ram and you can't drive more than few tabs
Yes. I have been watching this phenomenon for a while using different systems. This time around there should be no excuse.

All this morning I sat here with only my usual 2 tabs running after checking a couple of news sites and Facebook which upped my consumption to 1.4 GB memory usage. Since all other tabs except my usual 2 tabs. consumption is still at 1.4 GB and this where I suspect the problem lies... these 2 tabs usually run at 323 Mb, so that suggests that memory is not being cleared/released. Firefox does its housework and returns to original usage (sometimes less).

Even if I start with those 2 tabs and nothing else, it might start at 323 Mb but the longer I leave it usage continually increases. If I leave it overnight those 2 tabs can be consuming 1.3 GB... or something is (?).

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2021-02-22, 02:30

badnick wrote:
2021-02-21, 05:57
My advice is for such a pages to use a separate profile.
I wouldn't recommend that. According to Tobin here:
New Tobin Paradigm wrote: By abusing the profile feature for something it really isn't intended for, namely half-assed e10s emulation. It will wreak havoc with the ShellService and your OS's ability to send links to the application.

Kendo wrote:
2021-02-21, 19:26
Closing tabs one would expect to regain memory and FF does but PM never fully recovers. If I run PM with my usual 2 tabs plus Facebook, within 3-4 hours memory consumption reaches 1.4 GB and more.
This seems relevant:
New Tobin Paradigm wrote: Now there is a known but unsolved issue of some sites, mostly google/youtube/github/twitter that can cause a pile up of ghost windows leading to eventual memory usage that won't ever be released or may take even longer before it gets forced out of memory but after a few days you can just close and reopen the application.

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

Kendo

Unread post by Kendo » 2021-02-23, 09:45

Great! The previous post was totally unrelated to the problem.

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2021-02-23, 10:47

Yeah, "memory usage that won't ever be released or may take even longer before it gets forced out of memory" is totally unrelated to your problem. I definitely can see it.

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2021-02-23, 11:18

Kendo wrote:
2021-02-23, 09:45
Great! The previous post was totally unrelated to the problem.
I don't know if it helps but try disabling some useless Windows services (including google update). I have made this long time ago -I disabled about 18 services.
Set your PC for best performances (programms)
PM last/64

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2021-02-23, 19:48

What have you people got against bookmarks? They are very easy to back up, so you do not have to worry about losing them if you do that.

Psycho-A
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Psycho-A » 2021-02-24, 12:03

I would add to this topic from myself:

Often I encounter growing CPU load (to 50%) with hanging some script on some tabs if many tabs are opened and browser wasn't used some time (runs minimized). I can't figure out what tabs does this because all tabs keep working (but browser gets really slow). But when I'm trying to reload PM after it happened, it just hangs in Windows processes with the same 50% CPU load, and I only need to kill it manually. There were already some times I missed my sessions this way (now using Session manager).
Goodydino wrote:
2021-02-23, 19:48
What have you people got against bookmarks? They are very easy to back up, so you do not have to worry about losing them if you do that.
I think it's because shitty modern sites are too slow to open them each time and wait they're loaded. I didn't use many tabs too at the times when Internet had the human face...

Kris_88
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Kris_88 » 2021-02-24, 12:17

It looks like a memory leak.
Too many objects are accumulating and the garbage collector is trying to free them.
The garbage collector takes up the CPU.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-02-24, 16:47

And happening all at once. The modern web is damned broken. Even Chromium is shit at it and these sites are specifically designed for it. Just the issue manifests differently on em and sometimes they are obscured but happen never the less.

Kendo

Unread post by Kendo » 2021-02-24, 22:16

badnick wrote:
2021-02-23, 11:18
I don't know if it helps but try disabling some useless Windows services (including google update).
Only essential services running. No Google stuff has ever been on this PC. I'll just have to restart every now and then to clear memory.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-02-25, 00:53

Kendo wrote:
2021-02-24, 22:16
I'll just have to restart every now and then to clear memory.
Or get into the habit of closing tabs when you're done with them, and use Suspender.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX