ARM-based Macs

Discussions about the development and maturation of the Unified XUL Platform (UXP).
Warning: may contain highly-technical topics.

Moderator: trava90

User avatar
New Tobin Paradigm
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side
Posts: 9263
Joined: 2012-10-09, 19:37
Location: Seriphia Galaxy

Re: ARM-based Macs

Post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-02-09, 03:42

Well derailed is a matter of perspective really the conversation lost focus the moment realityripple brought up raspberrypi and hackintosh so fourth or fifth post?

When we went from facts or condition planning and requirements and the reality of it to pulling idle speculation out of multiple asses.
You know I have the greatest enthusiasm possible for the mission.
Image

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 29657
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: Tranås, SE
Contact:

Re: ARM-based Macs

Post by Moonchild » 2021-02-09, 12:03

I'm guessing the question I posed will never really be answered here, then.
"Son, in life you do not fight battles because you expect to win, you fight them merely because they need to be fought." -- Snagglepuss
Image

User avatar
Baloo
Forum staff
Forum staff
Posts: 102
Joined: 2017-08-24, 15:02

Re: ARM-based Macs

Post by Baloo » 2021-02-09, 20:57

Alright let's get back on topic here.
Image
Image

User avatar
WiseWolf
Moonbather
Moonbather
Posts: 58
Joined: 2020-10-10, 06:13

Re: ARM-based Macs

Post by WiseWolf » 2021-02-14, 14:47

Moonchild wrote:
2021-02-09, 12:03
I'm guessing the question I posed will never really be answered here, then.
My bad, I will stop derailing this.

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to develop palemoon for arm in the long term. If that helps as an answer.

Tobin's last post btw was wise.

Well second to last I mean...

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 29657
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: Tranås, SE
Contact:

Re: ARM-based Macs

Post by Moonchild » 2021-02-14, 16:25

WiseWolf wrote:
2021-02-14, 14:47
I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to develop palemoon for arm in the long term. If that helps as an answer.
That wasn't really the question -- we already have ARM CPU support in our tree, but the Mac "ARM-based" SoCs (System-on-Chip) are not the same thing as a traditional ARM CPU.
"Son, in life you do not fight battles because you expect to win, you fight them merely because they need to be fought." -- Snagglepuss
Image

User avatar
WiseWolf
Moonbather
Moonbather
Posts: 58
Joined: 2020-10-10, 06:13

Re: ARM-based Macs

Post by WiseWolf » 2021-02-14, 16:27

Moonchild wrote:
2021-02-14, 16:25
WiseWolf wrote:
2021-02-14, 14:47
I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to develop palemoon for arm in the long term. If that helps as an answer.
That wasn't really the question -- we already have ARM CPU support in our tree, but the Mac "ARM-based" SoCs (System-on-Chip) are not the same thing as a traditional ARM CPU.
Yeah, I kind of realized that, but in the long term I don't see why it would be an issue. Think it depends on how badly people want it. Unless you know something I don't

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 29657
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: Tranås, SE
Contact:

Re: ARM-based Macs

Post by Moonchild » 2021-02-14, 16:45

"How badly people want it" I think remains to be seen. So far "how badly people want a Mac version" of Pale Moon seems to be directly related to how willing people are to actually build it. And that seems to fully preclude ever want to get officially supported build status because over the years, Intel Mac builds have never become official while I certainly hoped it would get at least ONE dedicated long-term maintainer. But that's all just been ad hoc.
Hence my question here -- if it requires more than casual building, because it requires actual hardware support to be developed, then what's the point of continuing Mac as a whole? Intel macs will be obsoleted by Apple. New Macs will have no support. It was never an officially supported O.S. in the end, ...
"Son, in life you do not fight battles because you expect to win, you fight them merely because they need to be fought." -- Snagglepuss
Image

User avatar
WiseWolf
Moonbather
Moonbather
Posts: 58
Joined: 2020-10-10, 06:13

Re: ARM-based Macs

Post by WiseWolf » 2021-02-14, 20:27

Moonchild wrote:
2021-02-14, 16:45
"How badly people want it" I think remains to be seen. So far "how badly people want a Mac version" of Pale Moon seems to be directly related to how willing people are to actually build it. And that seems to fully preclude ever want to get officially supported build status because over the years, Intel Mac builds have never become official while I certainly hoped it would get at least ONE dedicated long-term maintainer. But that's all just been ad hoc.
Hence my question here -- if it requires more than casual building, because it requires actual hardware support to be developed, then what's the point of continuing Mac as a whole? Intel macs will be obsoleted by Apple. New Macs will have no support. It was never an officially supported O.S. in the end, ...
Well, when I meant how badly people want it, I also meant people willing to maintain it too.

That being said, it does not matter to me much, but then again, maybe people willing to maintain it is few and far between.

I think?

KlarkKentThe3rd
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 444
Joined: 2018-04-20, 20:31

Re: ARM-based Macs

Post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2021-04-06, 05:50

To summarize in one sentence, someone will have to buy a new Mac, and dedicate several hours each day to build and maintain. So whoever needs Mac support continue into the future needs to throw money at someone.

User avatar
New Tobin Paradigm
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side
Posts: 9263
Joined: 2012-10-09, 19:37
Location: Seriphia Galaxy

Re: ARM-based Macs

Post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-06, 06:45

Maybe you didn't get the memo but Macintosh support has been dropped. But to respond to your incorrect statement of moronic ignorance: One would have to actually add the support and resolve all issues of getting it to WORK on ARM before any maintenance would need to be done. They would also have to likely have two Macs one Intel of sufficient hardware quality and class for building and the MacinArm to test on.
You know I have the greatest enthusiasm possible for the mission.
Image

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 29657
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: Tranås, SE
Contact:

Re: ARM-based Macs

Post by Moonchild » 2021-04-06, 12:16

Why was this thread revived?
"Son, in life you do not fight battles because you expect to win, you fight them merely because they need to be fought." -- Snagglepuss
Image

User avatar
New Tobin Paradigm
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side
Posts: 9263
Joined: 2012-10-09, 19:37
Location: Seriphia Galaxy

Re: ARM-based Macs

Post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-06, 12:19

Why is this thread here?
You know I have the greatest enthusiasm possible for the mission.
Image

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 29657
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: Tranås, SE
Contact:

Re: ARM-based Macs

Post by Moonchild » 2021-04-06, 13:32

Why are you post-date questioning things that were valid considerations at the time?
"Son, in life you do not fight battles because you expect to win, you fight them merely because they need to be fought." -- Snagglepuss
Image

User avatar
New Tobin Paradigm
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side
Posts: 9263
Joined: 2012-10-09, 19:37
Location: Seriphia Galaxy

Re: ARM-based Macs

Post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-06, 13:37

No idea, maybe because I should be sleeping and I'm not. Sorry.
You know I have the greatest enthusiasm possible for the mission.
Image

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 29657
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: Tranås, SE
Contact:

Re: ARM-based Macs

Post by Moonchild » 2021-04-06, 13:52

Go sleep. I'll put a lock and chain on this thread in the meantime.
"Son, in life you do not fight battles because you expect to win, you fight them merely because they need to be fought." -- Snagglepuss
Image

Locked