Download of new Palemoon - Ubuntu system missing

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Lins31

Download of new Palemoon - Ubuntu system missing

Unread post by Lins31 » 2021-01-24, 17:34

Download of new Palemoon - Ubuntu system missing :crazy:

Webpage - https://software.opensuse.org/download. ... e=palemoon

Ubuntu 16.4 - Xenial - Mint 18 series - ok
Ubuntu 18.4 - Bionic - Mint 19 series - ok
Ubuntu 20.4 = Ubuntu 19.4 - Eoan :?:
Ubuntu 20.10 = Ubuntu 19.10 - Focal - Mint series 20 :?:

Ubuntu 20 is not yet available / written :shock: - Typo fairies at work in repositories :roll:

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Download of new Palemoon - Ubuntu system missing

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2021-01-24, 18:35

Please understand the Ubuntu versioning system.

XX.YY is the version, where XX is the year (e.g. 18 for 2018) and YY is the month (e.g. 04 for April, 10 for October).
There are 2 releases per year, for 2020 there is 20.04 and 20.10, next release will be 21.04, there is no Ubuntu 20.

Please run

Code: Select all

lsb_release -a
and post the output here in the forum.
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

The Squash

Unread post by The Squash » 2021-01-24, 18:36

Actually, both 20.04 and 20.10 are available and have been available for some time. It's Ubuntu 21.04 which is only in beta testing right now. In fact, I'm test-driving Ubuntu MATE 21.04 Beta right as I type this.

EDIT:
Oops, Pentium4User! I tried to post at the same time that you did!

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2021-01-24, 18:45

Did you click on the Ubuntu logo? If you did you would have seen two categories. One is "Add Repositories and install manually" and the other is "Grab binary packages directly".

So if you left clicked on either of those two choices, another context window is displayed for each of them with information.

The easiest, in my opinion, is the one that says "Grab binary packages directly" because they are deb packages and if you have Gdebi Package Installer installed in your choice of distro, Gdebi will install the packages for you.

And the binary packages listed are: xUbuntu 20.10, xUbuntu (20.04).
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2021-01-24, 18:48

Night Wing wrote:
2021-01-24, 18:45
Did you click on the Ubuntu logo? If you did you would have seen two categories. One is "Add Repositories and install manually" and the other is "Grab binary packages directly".

So if you left clicked on either of those two choices, another context window is displayed for each of them with information.

The easiest, in my opinion, is the one that says "Grab binary packages directly" because they are deb packages and if you have Gdebi Package Installer installed in your choice of distro, Gdebi will install the packages for you.

And the binary packages listed are: xUbuntu 20.10, xUbuntu (20.04).
Do the binary packages enable a repo in their install scripts?
If not, you have to update it manually every time a package is released. If you do nut update, you have a high security risk.
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2021-01-24, 19:26

Pentium4User wrote:
2021-01-24, 18:48
Do the binary packages enable a repo in their install scripts?
If not, you have to update it manually every time a package is released. If you do nut update, you have a high security risk.
Off-topic:
Below is what I do when I have an existing old version of Pale Moon and want to run the newest version of Pale Moon.

My linux Pale Moon is "not" installed in Mint (20.1). Which means it is running from the executable file. This means I have to download the tarball from the link below.

http://linux.palemoon.org/download/mainline/

I download the tarball. Then I go to the folder where the old version of Pale Moon is and delete it. Then I extract the Pale Moon folder from the tarball, put it exactly back where the deleted old Pale Moon was, then get out of that window which takes me back to my Desktop. Then I left click on the Pale Moon launcher icon and the newest version of Pale Moon runs like an old fashioned swiss watch time piece.

Now, how long does this take me time wise? From start to finish, I'd say about 3 minutes of time. This way, I don't have to mess with the linux Terminal, which I'm no fan of and I don't have to mess with Gdbi either when it comes to installing Pale Moon.

I'm guessing I'm the only one on the Pale Moon Forum site whose linux Pale Moon is not installed in my linux distro of choice which is Mint. And way back in January of 2014, my way has worked in the distros of Linux Lite, Solyd X, Debian and much later for experimentation purposes, Manjaro.

And on a side note, if you go on the Linux Mint Forum site, there are quite a few users who use linux Pale Moon. "All" of them have linux Pale Moon installed in Mint...............except me. And I've continued doing it this way for the past 7 years (and counting).

BTW, when Mint 20.2 is released in late June or July of 2021, I will do the same thing only with 20.2, I'll have to create the Pale Moon launcher icon "one time only" and that takes about 2 minutes of time.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-01-25, 00:48

Doesn't the tarball version have the built-in updater component? I use Steve's repo on Mint 20.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Baloo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Baloo » 2021-01-26, 19:34

Yes it does. I am using the tarball version on Pop OS 20.10 and the built-in updater works.

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2021-01-30, 20:52

Off-topic:
Below is what I do when I have an existing old version of Pale Moon and want to run the newest version of Pale Moon.
This manual approach is the basis of my app system on Windows, where I can back off by one version, or switch between versions as needed,
using folder junctions aka directory hardlinks which are quick-controlled by a script and a file of linkages.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-01-30, 21:55

Off-topic:
Bilbo47 wrote:
2021-01-30, 20:52
This manual approach is the basis of my app system on Windows, where I can back off by one version, or switch between versions as needed,
using folder junctions aka directory hardlinks which are quick-controlled by a script and a file of linkages.
I hope you're not doing that with Pale Moon because if you are using the same profile and jumping back and forth between versions of the browser willy-nilly your profile will get corrupt.
Take note: http://developer.palemoon.org/docs/profile-migration/ -- especially the fact it's only supported ONE WAY. While we have not outright blocked it, be aware that Mozilla has, and for very good reason. Your eligibility for support by anyone (or drawing conclusions about the browser, for that matter) is pretty much nil.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2021-01-30, 23:31

Just for Pi owners, of which I am not, I have reports that the 32-bit armhf (aka armv71) build work a treat on the Pi 3 and 4. I have an armhf build system set up on my Intel-based laptop, but its QEMU emulation incurs a ten times speed overhead for the build, so I prefer to let the OBS do those in the cloud.

Also note that the developers do not officially support ARM packages, so the build may not work in the future. I just added the architectures since it's easy on the OBS.