gtk2, gtk3, gtk4

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
micwoj92
Fanatic
Fanatic

gtk2, gtk3, gtk4

Unread post by micwoj92 » 2021-01-10, 23:59

I've found one post on forum saying that with Pale Moon 29 there will be gtk3 build. With gtk2 now being EOL, more and more Linux distributions (especially rolling release) will be without gtk2.
Apparently Flash on Linux needs gtk2, so my first question is: does that mean that if Pale Moon eventually switched to only gtk3, NPAPI plugin support will be ended?
I do not have problem with this but it might upset some people.
And my second question: with PM 29 will there be initial start on gtk4 support?

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: gtk2, gtk3, gtk4

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-01-11, 04:55

As you should have read, we are going to keep gtk2 builds around till at least the EOL of CentOS 7. Also, I am not sure how Flash plugin's dependance on GTK2 is related to our widget support of GTK2 if it is at all. Even if it is as it is external to us we can't do shit about a dead plugin requiring a dep on something a distro may not have in the future.

As for GTK4 of course we would want it. If it happends depends entirely on community development and contribution. Like many things do.

micwoj92
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by micwoj92 » 2021-01-11, 09:25

As you should have read, we are going to keep gtk2 builds around till at least the EOL of CentOS 7.
Yes, from this post by you.

In that reply to that post I linked earlier you also wrote " Future Linux 64bit GTK3 Version / EL 8 build env / GCC 8+ / GTK 3.22 / Minimum glibc 2.28 / Ends whenever EL 8 does"

The problem now is that CentOS 8 will be EOL this December due to Redhat's decision (but quite frankly I think it was IBM). I think that the post that I linked earlier "Current State of Pale Moon for Linux and the Future" deserves an update due to GTK4 release and that Redhat's change.

Also, I am not sure how Flash plugin's dependance on GTK2 is related to our widget support of GTK2 if it is at all.
Firefox dropped GTK2 toolkit with version 59, but still needs it to build due to flash. I think I should have worded my question a bit different there.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-01-11, 10:00

So this is why GTK2 bits are needed on a GTK3 build. Well that is solved.

However, I am well aware of the CentOS 8 situation it currently has no barring on us at this time. Remember, we are gonna keep a GTK2 build going until CentOS 7 ends of life. I am sure we will run into issues from distros where GTK2 may start to not be available for install and we will have to deal with those as it comes up. But as long as it exists in the distro then building GTK3 (with the gtk2 bits for flash) will be available. Though this has nothing specifically to do with NPAPI technology but Flash (and other older plugins) and it is something we cannot control.

We should still work on decoupling the GTK2 bits as an option when building GTK3. Issue #1638 (UXP) is tracking this already. I am keeping an eye on stuff but I also rely on what the community has seen to get a complete picture and be able to make a decision in my capacity as the Unified XUL Platform Coordinator.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2021-01-14, 21:32

Ummm---are you aware that Firefox now blocks Flash completely, since it has been killed by Adobe?

micwoj92
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by micwoj92 » 2021-01-14, 21:44

stevepusser wrote:
2021-01-14, 21:32
Ummm---are you aware that Firefox now blocks Flash completely, since it has been killed by Adobe?
Yes I am, but this post is more about gtk versions building and potential gtk2 dependency needed for flash (as some people said in linked Bugzilla ticket) than about whether it works or not.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-01-14, 23:30

Guess we will find out in the fullness of devtime.

francesco bat

Unread post by francesco bat » 2021-02-02, 20:34

Is it possible to hope in a continuation of gtk2 ?
I know your hard work and i don't want criticize the choice, but i say this because i hope in PaleMoon continue in gtk2 :(
Bye
Francesco bat

micwoj92
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by micwoj92 » 2021-02-02, 22:45

You have more than 3 years at this point for official releases, and even then, there could still be unofficial builds using gtk2 after that date. You can always build it yourself, not that hard but takes a bit of time.