Tough to Update!

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
GirishSharma

Tough to Update!

Unread post by GirishSharma » 2020-12-22, 05:41

I am on Ubuntu 20.10 and using PM 28.15.0 (64 bit). I am not asking rocket science question but really frustrated to change the behavior of updating the PM. Earlier I have updated the PM by sudo -H palemoon and then Help--About Pale Moon--Check for update, but I don't know whey you have removed the check for update option? Why you tech people change the way :oops: :oops:

Now, how I update it to latest version?

Life is already cumbersome, please don't make it more hardening!!

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Tough to Update!

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2020-12-22, 06:50

The tarball version of Pale Moon still includes the internal updater, the deb variant by Steve does not, because it is being updates via the package manager apt and not by the application itself.

Run

Code: Select all

dpkg -l |grep palemoon
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
and post the output in the forum.
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2020-12-22, 07:21

GirishSharma wrote:
2020-12-22, 05:41
but I don't know whey you have removed the check for update option? Why you tech people change the way :oops: :oops:
It has not been removed by the developers but by the person providing the package for your distribution (and that's how it should be). If you use the package manager to install, then internal updater is not needed anyway as updates should also be handled by the package manager.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-12-22, 09:44

It has been many versions since the about box had the check for updates feature in because the older menu item in the help menu was restored some time ago saving two clicks. This was specifically changed in 28.5.0 (2019-04-30). Of course that is if you are using the generic binary.

If it is from Steve's debian repo then it never had the internal updater at all as others explained.

So nothing has changed in this regard for over a year and a half which makes the details of your complaint highly suspect and even demonstratively false depending on specifics.