useragent.override - warning missing?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
nostril

useragent.override - warning missing?

Unread post by nostril » 2020-12-18, 19:17

Updated to 28.17.0 with standalone tarball.

I've added the 'network.http.useragent.global_override' string in about:config with the value of my liking and it works like expected.

But reading the release notes ''As such, the browser will now warn you if the user-agent is globally overridden (in preferences) and allow you to easily reset that override and re-enable the various compatibility modes.'' I'm slightly confused.

There's no warning whatsoever nor an option in preferences to be found. Maybe I'm blind or have trouble understanding the release notes. Or drunk.
Cheers.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: useragent.override - warning missing?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-12-18, 19:51

if you've globally overridden despite the advice not to do this, preferences will, instead of the normal options to select UA compatibility (that are as a result defunct) show you a warning:
Warning shown
Warning shown
If you reset the pref manually or with the button, the normal options return:
Warning cleared
Warning cleared
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

nostril

Unread post by nostril » 2020-12-18, 20:08

Thanks, so Im not drunk.

There's no warning shown whatsoever. global_override string definitely added to about:config and it's working, just double checked.
Attachments
no_warning.png

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-12-18, 20:22

Are you absolutely sure you're running 28.17.0? Because O.S. should not matter - this is front-end, cross-platform code and any 28.17 version of Pale Moon should have this.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

nostril

Unread post by nostril » 2020-12-18, 20:40

Absolutely.
Attachments
pm_update_history.png
pm_update_history.png (32.72 KiB) Viewed 980 times

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-12-18, 20:46

hm.. weird that you have an updater history when you used the standalone tarball as you say.

Anyway I'll have a look myself once I get access to a Linux machine.

nostril

Unread post by nostril » 2020-12-18, 20:48

Good catch!

I've did the update again from a backup version just to be sure I've not missed something. Both update path with the same outcome.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-12-18, 20:53

Just made a tarball install from the downloaded 28.17.0 from linux.palemoon.org -> mainline

Everything works as it should (this is on Linux Mint)
Attachments
Screenshot at 2020-12-18 21-50-02.png

Galaxy
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Galaxy » 2020-12-19, 01:48

Moonchild wrote:
2020-12-18, 20:46
weird that you have an updater history when you used the standalone tarball as you say.
Not sure if it's related to the OP's issue, but why does the OP have a missing Sync option and an extra icon in the upper left hand corner as shown in the image below? Where did you get the tarball from?
Preferences.jpg

nostril

Unread post by nostril » 2020-12-19, 09:13

Good morning.

I checked with a fresh profile, '.moonchild productions' folder completely removed, and the expected warning does indeed show up correctly.
Once I use my own .prefs.js the warning is not shown anymore. So the oddity is on my side. Consider case closed.

I will eventually look into it which about:config settings causes that behaviour, but as the inner workings (seem to) behave as expected it'll take some time.

Re the extra icon top left. That's just Linux, a gazillion of varieties. In this case plain Openbox as window manager, slightly tweaked.
Re the missing Sync icon. As I have sync disabled, don't need it, I have that entry removed from preferences via userChrome.css
The many wonders of my oddball setup.

Thanks for looking into it and giving some valuable pointers.
Cheers

Iceberg
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Iceberg » 2020-12-19, 12:12

The warning does not appear to me either. I believe it depends on other personal settings.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-12-19, 13:15

I find that really strange -- I'd like to find out what causes this because literally all it does is check a preference and respond accordingly; can't be more straightforward than that.
Care to drop the output of Help -> Troubleshooting information in this thread?

Iceberg
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Iceberg » 2020-12-19, 14:00

It depends on the parameter: browser.cache.offline.enable
If this parameter is false the warning is not activated.
If its value is changed from true to false the warning disappears after a restart.

nostril

Unread post by nostril » 2020-12-19, 14:14

Iceberg wrote:
2020-12-19, 14:00
It depends on the parameter: browser.cache.offline.enable
I just checked your suggestion and it does not change a thing in my case. Yes I did restart the browser.

I meanwhile flipped all my personal about:config changes manually, one by one which did not make me any wiser.
As you suggest it might be a combination of presonal settings.

So far the warning shows only with a clean, default prefs.js

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-12-19, 14:16

Ah. OK I see what's going on.

Disabling that makes the initialization code for the advanced category of preferences error out (since it doesn't take into account that someone sets this pref to false) and as a result the warning is never displayed upon opening.

Code: Select all

15:14:16.058 [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80040111 (NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE) [nsIApplicationCacheService.getGroups]"  nsresult: "0x80040111 (NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE)"  location: "JS frame :: chrome://browser/content/preferences/advanced.js :: updateOfflineApps :: line 438"  data: no] 1 (unknown)
	updateOfflineApps chrome://browser/content/preferences/advanced.js:438:18
	init chrome://browser/content/preferences/advanced.js:45:5
	anonymous chrome://global/content/bindings/preferences.xml%20line%20772%20%3E%20Function:2:1
	_fireEvent chrome://global/content/bindings/preferences.xml:773:24
	observe chrome://global/content/bindings/preferences.xml:747:17
	openPreferences chrome://browser/content/utilityOverlay.js:690:10
	onclick chrome://browser/content/browser.xul:1:1

nostril

Unread post by nostril » 2020-12-19, 14:30

Thanks for pointing in the right direction Iceberg!

In my case it is a combination of 3 settings:

browser.cache.offline.enable -> must be true
browser.cache.offline.capacity -> must have some value higher than 0
browser.cache.memory.enable -> must be true

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-12-19, 14:41

Thanks to the both of you! Filed Issue #1854.