Nice gift for Christmas, thanks Mozilla :(

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

buggy

Nice gift for Christmas, thanks Mozilla :(

Unread post by buggy » 2013-12-11, 11:11

Hello

To take precautions in advance i just wanted to know if with the next major version of Palemoon you are going to ruine all the download addons like Mozilla have made with the v26 supposedly only for security like for this one: https://addons.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/a ... statusbar/ or this one for example: https://addons.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/a ... ger-tweak/

The last changes also seem to affect other addons like All-in-one Sidebar, Status-4-evar and LightShot...

Thanks for your response in advance.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Nice gift for Christmas, thanks Mozilla :(

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-12-11, 12:12

I guess by the time there is a new major update, the add-ons will have updated accordingly?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2013-12-11, 12:23

Have you tried an ESR (Extended Support Release) version of Firefox which uses the Windows, Mac OS X and Linux operating systems? These versions are slightly different than the regular versions of Firefox and what you want, which is broken in version 26 of Firefox, just might work in these newest ESR versions which began with 24.0 of Firefox.

I use the newest ESR version of Firefox as my backup browser to Pale Moon. These versions of Firefox only get security fixes and usually addons which worked in version 24 and 25 of regular Firefox, won't be broken or changed like they are now in version 26 of Firefox.

The newest ESR version of Firefox is 24.2.0 (I use this one) which is equivalent to the regular Firefox 26.0 "security wise" and it comes in many different foreign languages. Keep in mind the link below is for the 32-bit ESR version of Firefox. Since you're from France, try the French one.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/or ... s/all.html
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

buggy

Unread post by buggy » 2013-12-11, 13:41

Moonchild wrote:I guess by the time there is a new major update, the add-ons will have updated accordingly?
Don't know really... for Download Status Bar the last update was in 2011, since several months we need to make changes in about:config otherwise it do not work, the dev do not talk and he promised a v2 since more than one year so i have a big doubt for this one...
I found this one in replacement in case... but missing the options for the moment: http://www.dnubs.com/

For the indispensable All-in-one Sidebar please read here, now for update long wait in perspective i guess: http://firefox.exxile.net/forum_new/vie ... 6&t=174408

With Status-4-evar the dev is still active so probably an update soon but for the moment all features to control the new f.....' download manager are broken for me. That's why i asked what you envisage with your next major version, now with these addons much more problems in perspective you can be sure, and they are essentials...
Night Wing wrote:Have you tried an ESR (Extended Support Release) version of Firefox which uses the Windows, Mac OS X and Linux operating systems? These versions are slightly different than the regular versions of Firefox and what you want, which is broken in version 26 of Firefox, just might work in these newest ESR versions which began with 24.0 of Firefox.

I use the newest ESR version of Firefox as my backup browser to Pale Moon. These versions of Firefox only get security fixes and usually addons which worked in version 24 and 25 of regular Firefox, won't be broken or changed like they are now in version 26 of Firefox.

The newest ESR version of Firefox is 24.2.0 (I use this one) which is equivalent to the regular Firefox 26.0 "security wise" and it comes in many different foreign languages. Keep in mind the link below is for the 32-bit ESR version of Firefox. Since you're from France, try the French one.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/or ... s/all.html
I did not know this version, i'll try it pronto and i'll give you the feedback, thanks.

Edit: just tried it, all is well with this version, even DSB! thank you so much :-)

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2013-12-11, 16:31

Buggy,

When the regular (stable) Firefox 27.0 version is released on February 4th, 2014; the next ESR equivalent version of Firefox will be 24.3.0 and it will be released sometime later on that same day.

The addon's which are working for you now in 24.2.0 ESR should work in 24.3.0 ESR as well.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

buggy

Unread post by buggy » 2013-12-11, 18:12

Okthanks for infos. Now i hope Moonchild with the next update will find a solution for Palemoon because i need it! :D

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-12-12, 00:44

The current Pale Moon versions are based on major version 24 of the Gecko engine and feature set, and will remain on this code base for a while yet. I have no intention to switch code base any time soon, since I don't want to have to deal with having to manually revert all this pre-australis feature-removal madness and resulting general UI/API changes that are a headache.

As long as add-ons are compatible with the Firefox 24 branch (which add-on developers would be wise to maintain, considering the ESR version of Firefox will be used by many people), they will remain compatible with Pale Moon as long as I stay on this code base. Major changes in the UI/API/feature set of Firefox 25, 26, 27, ... will not find their way into Pale Moon unless I specifically port them over.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite