Exporting bookmarks

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
elmer

Exporting bookmarks

Unread post by elmer » 2020-10-26, 17:58

How can I export my Palemoon bookmarks to Firefox, or even Opera?

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Exporting bookmarks

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2020-10-26, 18:31

You may try out to export as HTML and then import it in the other browser.
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-26, 19:50

Wow, that didn't take long. Four posts and you're out huh? Well, hope you have fun!

elmer

Unread post by elmer » 2020-10-30, 13:52

Pentium4User wrote:
2020-10-26, 18:31
You may try out to export as HTML and then import it in the other browser.
Do I need an extension to do the export as HTML? I don't see it in the menu of LM 19.3.

elmer

Unread post by elmer » 2020-10-30, 14:11

Off-topic:
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-10-26, 19:50
Wow, that didn't take long. Four posts and you're out huh? Well, hope you have fun!
I've been using Palemoon for several years and I like it. However, for the past few months it has been randomly consuming cpu usage and as a result it slows to a crawl. I have noticed that it initially did this on a couple of websites (ebay.com, kijiji.ca, craigslist) but lately it has 'turtled out' right after hibernation. Here is a screen shot of a typical turtle out:
download/file.php?mode=view&id=15253
download/file.php?mode=view&id=15254

I've tried to duplicate this slow down in Firefox at those same websites, and others, but there is no problem there. Hence the reason for checking out other options.
Attachments
Selection_050.jpg
Selection_051.jpg

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2020-10-30, 15:32

elmer wrote:
2020-10-30, 13:52

Do I need an extension to do the export as HTML? I don't see it in the menu of LM 19.3.
If you been using linux Pale Moon for a few years like you stated, you should already know how to turn your bookmarks into a json or HTML file for exporting and importing into another browser.

So I find your comments of not knowing how, to be a little "hard to swallow". But I'll play along.

To create a HTML file for your bookmarks for export, it is done in the Pale Moon browser itself. Not in Linux Mint (19.3). No extensions needed. I use the Menu Bar in Pale Moon (if you know what that is) so follow along. Click on:

Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks > Import and Backup > Export Bookmarks to HTML

And then tell Pale Moon to put them where you want to. In my case, I tell Pale Moon to put my files on the Desktop. Then I use a flash/thumb drive to add those files from my Desktop to the flash/thumb drive.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

elmer

Exporting bookmarks[SOLVED]

Unread post by elmer » 2020-10-30, 18:27

Night Wing wrote:
2020-10-30, 15:32

If you been using linux Pale Moon for a few years like you stated, you should already know how to turn your bookmarks into a json or HTML file for exporting and importing into another browser.

So I find your comments of not knowing how, to be a little "hard to swallow". But I'll play along.
I guess that I have been over using the tab features in Palemoon, and so when I lost over 100 tabs a month ago I finally decided to try bookmarks. I know, I'm slow and certainly not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
Thank you for your explanations.

tommy

Unread post by tommy » 2020-12-08, 01:32

I have been trying to export bookmarks, history and saved passwords...

Checked the entries above, but all that ends up in the HTML file is the directory names. Not one bookmark.

Tried using the SQLCipher progream mentioned in the EXPORTING HISTORY post series.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=25424&sid=1a08b2e2 ... 976c758117

Same thing. Just a few fields of the history.

Tried exporting bookmarks as a JSON file. Again, just the header/directory information.

TRied copying using FEBE, again to no avail.

Where is bookmarks.html that used to have all this stuff?

I lost the ability to type an address into the URLBAR and have it acted upon with one version upgrade. Finally got it to work, but lost all history, bookmarks, and passwords.

I wouldn't bother asking, but having several machines, it is difficult to keep up with who/what/when/where, and these things help a lot.
tom

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2020-12-09, 08:33

tommy wrote:
2020-12-08, 01:32
I wouldn't bother asking, but having several machines, it is difficult to keep up with who/what/when/where, and these things help a lot.
Consider using sync if you want same data to be available on multiple machines.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-12-09, 11:40

adesh wrote:
2020-12-09, 08:33
tommy wrote:
2020-12-08, 01:32
Consider using sync if you want same data to be available on multiple machines.
^this.

Pale Moon Sync is offered for exactly this reason. It will take the who/what/where out of the equation, and only leaves the "when" which in general is "all the time" ;-)
The only thing you may not find immediately is tabs on other devices because you have to specifically select which tab(s) opened on another device you want to open from Sync. Some people expect it to make it "as if it's the same browser instance" but that's not how it works. history/bookmarks/passwords/settings will be automatically synchronized though.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

tommy

Unread post by tommy » 2021-04-23, 19:27

I just signed up for 'sync', but still cannot export bookmarks.

I thought I could enter a URL into the bar, and press ENTER or click the ARROW, and would have the page load. Well, it worked for a while, and now does not.
I can use a bookmark or 'most visited' or entries on the bookmarks toolbar, but not the URL bar.
Is it possible there is something in bookmarks that messes with the URL bar field? Something in history?
I will try turning those two off in config so they are not queried as I type in a URL.
I can cut and paste a URL into the URL bar, and it absolutely will not do anything. I have cleared the console, typed and pressed ENTER and nothing on the Browser Console.
I really don't want to waste anyone's time, and have tried starting in SAFE mode with no effect. I tend to stay a release or two behind the 'latest and greatest', and when I updated, pow biff, it hit me in the kisser.
I have resorted to making entries in the bookmarks and then using those entries to go to specific URLs.
I really do not want to go to Chrome or Edge, but hotmail sure flies in Edge, and is a lot slower in PM.
I used to run SV Unix boxes for Long Lines, but am out of the biz for about 20 years. Started in computers at Purdue back in 1967 using Fortran on a 7094 and continued in USN, and Ma Bell until they told me to go home.
tom
Vertical and above ground works for me