additional gear icon instead of palemoon icon as active for palemoon under ubuntu mate dock panel

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
pepok

additional gear icon instead of palemoon icon as active for palemoon under ubuntu mate dock panel

Unread post by pepok » 2020-12-05, 12:23

Hello,
ma OS is ubuntu mate 20.4, where I am using mate dock panel.
I have pinned palemoon launcher - the upper icon. See screenshot!
For the very first time, when I clicked on launcher icon to start palemoon, a new icon appeared for the started palemoon - the below icon.

Later now I have another strange behaviour ...
When I click on palemoon launcher to start it ...
Then I still get 2nd icon, but now not a palemoon icon is used, but some strange gears icon. Is totally confusing!
When I click 2nd time on the upper palemoon launcher icon, then a 2nd instance of palemoon starts - once again only as gear icon.

On Firefox it does not create a 2nd icon, it uses the launcher icon, as it should be.
How to set it the same way on palemoon? I do not want the palemoon icon twice there.

I tried to get support on the mate dock applet forum, but no help was possible.
https://github.com/ubuntu-mate/mate-dock-applet/issues/200

thanks in advance
regards
peter

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: additional gear icon instead of palemoon icon as active for palemoon under ubuntu mate dock panel

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-12-05, 12:47

I doubt there's anything we can do about this on the browser side, this seems to be specific for the way the dock is implemented.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

mr tribute
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: additional gear icon instead of palemoon icon as active for palemoon under ubuntu mate dock panel

Unread post by mr tribute » 2020-12-05, 15:52

pepok wrote:
2020-12-05, 12:23
Hello,
ma OS is ubuntu mate 20.4, where I am using mate dock panel.
Did you have the same behavior with Ubuntu MATE 18.04 (or 16.04)?

Since Gnome is actively pulling the Linux desktop apart there will be a point where "workarounds" are needed for different window managers. MATE (Marco window manager) should be conservative/old-school assuming you are using Marco. Another component is the Plank dock.

See this thread if you can find clues, because someone clearly took the time to study this subject:
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=25497&p=202378
With the quotes removed and correct letter case applied for StartupWMclass, this will provide better integration with the GNOME desktop. A concern of this however is how other desktops might react to this change? Would any of you here in the Linux board have some additional insight if this would be a welcomed change or perhaps something that could cause havoc? So far I've tested this without issue from MATE, KDE, XFCE, Cinnamon, and GNOME.

One more thing to note, the freedesktop project has described a standard for the desktop entry specification, however it is up to the desktop environments as to whether or not they should follow that standard. (A distributions adherence of the spec would be dependent upon the desktop(s) they have chosen.)

From my own experience, most of the Linux desktop environments I've seen are XDG compliant; XDG being "X Desktop Group" which was the former name of the Freedesktop project. This is all likely to change as well with the advent of Wayland in the near future.

pepok

Unread post by pepok » 2021-01-02, 20:38

I tried the advice here:
viewtopic.php?p=200804#p200804
- and this made the trick.
Now is it working like it should.
It appears to be the problem in the installation files, in desktop file, there are either a few typos or it is not suitable enough for the mate dock applet and also not for the plank.

Thank you in advance for setting this up correctly at next palemoon update.

regards

Peter