"Pale Moon can't find the file"

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
moonbob69
Moon lover
Moon lover

"Pale Moon can't find the file"

Unread post by moonbob69 » 2020-12-04, 07:47

My PM16.0 on Xenialpup reports "Pale Moon can't find the file..." for a file it itself opened using the File|OpenFile menu item. This is an Epson user manual saved locally by PM as File|SavePageAs using WebPageComplete (an .htm file and a PM-created directory at the same level).

The page would appear to have 2 frames, probably TOC and text content, as a similar message appears on both left & right sides of the screen.

On the left frame, the actual message refers to a nonexistant file "blank.htm" in nonexistant directories "/common/html/".

In the right frame, the message refers to the nonexistant file "blank.htm" in the PM-created "WebPageComplete" directory which does exist.

I find no reference to "blank.htm" when looking at the code of the main .htm file as text,

I can't believe this is an actual bug (either the saving or loading) but find no other posts.

Even if the saving was confused somehow, or some elements missed, I would like to see what exactly was saved. Is there a way to display what it has?

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: "Pale Moon can't find the file"

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2020-12-04, 08:11

PM 16.0 is extremely out of date.
Please upgrade.
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-12-04, 10:08

Saved web pages do not always work, especially if they use relative paths that refer to specific structures on the server and/or that create content through scripting.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-12-04, 10:43

Extensions and tools to save webpages are a throwback to when the web was actually made up of pages of static content, not everything generated by tons of Javascript and trying to be an 'app'. Given that even ordinary websites that don't need all this garbage still continue to use it, there's very few that will work offline let alone survive attempts to save them locally.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

moonbob69
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by moonbob69 » 2020-12-05, 05:33

Pentium4User, sorry. I meant PM 28.16.0.

The "<script>" elements mentioned on the primary page were all saved,
as were secondary .html files named as sources of frames listed in the frameset element of the primary page.

But "blank.htm" is the source of a sub-frame mentioned in a frameset element in those secondary .html files. Without those sub-frames, you get no actual content.

Although there are add-ons or applications that perform "save web site complete", it is tricky how many levels down constitutes the "complete web site"; interactive "ask user" would seem to be a good idea for each level, if someone was thinking of putting that into PM's File menu

In the case of frames, though, in order to display the main page content, it seems necessary to recurse the secondary .html files until actual frame content begins just to show the single "page complete".

When I posted this question, I thought that there must be a way to show the content without the missing stuff. Now it appears that there nothing in the frames (due to missing files) but nothing outside them either.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-12-05, 10:56

The function is called "save page" for a reason. A multi-nested frameset isn't a "page", it's a set of pages. If you want to attempt to save something like that you'll have to use a more advanced tool than a browser, that recurses framesets and nesting more than one level deep.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite