Newly installed Pale Moon does not recognise 4 out of 5 plugins availiable from Mozilla Firefox Topic is solved

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Lurker_01
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Newly installed Pale Moon does not recognise 4 out of 5 plugins availiable from Mozilla Firefox

Unread post by Lurker_01 » 2020-11-21, 18:30

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-11-21, 10:07
Do NOT do this. Anything in the program directory could be clobbered at any time.
Including the browser itself by your words ("anything")... why we are installing it in the program directory by default then? (if you are saying that the browser may unexpectedly clobber it's own directory, that is fine but a really strange behaviour.
Off-topic:
Speaking seriously i have investigated this claim and found that yes, stuff get's deleted in program files directory but only on windows updates(if the user doesn't indicate that the data should be saved) or due to bugs.
I have tested creating the plugins location under the browser folder and unfortunately the browser didn't find the plugin, probably a change in Pale Moon vs Firefox.
2020-11-21, 10:07
Moonbat, you're starting to pull non-solutions and incorrect conclusions out of your ass again. Please stop.
Moonbat solution should have worked, and if this is one of the browser changes that was done to prevent this, and you knew about it (seems like you do based on your claims), you could have politely told about the new correct location in this case. (I couldn't find an official Moonchild post or any information about this (there were some discussions for Linux but nothing for Windows AFAIK))
------------------------
Anon27 wrote:
2020-11-20, 00:23
how do I install it? As in, which files do I have to download, and where should I download them? Do I have to run anything or just download it?
During my search i have found a solution that is working for Pale Moon and opens pdf's in browser (for me at least). [edit: unfortunately is only per profile based with unknown system location for the browser]
1. You need to download the correct plugins folder for your current Pale Moon architecture 32/64 bit.
2. Rename the folder to "plugins" (without quotes)
3. Find your current Pale Moon profile. Usually under C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles\RANDOM NUMBERS AND LETTERS
4. Paste the plugins folder under the Pale Moon profile directory
5. Start/Restart the browser
6. In about:addons under plugins check that SumatraPDF Browser Plugin has appeared (it will only appear/work under your current profile since it is installed inside your profile directly)
7. Check that the plugin is set as always enabled, if it set as on demand and you directly open a pdf file/page you may see a white screen and would need to allow the plugin via permissions or other methods.
Last edited by Lurker_01 on 2020-11-21, 19:54, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Newly installed Pale Moon does not recognise 4 out of 5 plugins availiable from Mozilla Firefox

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-11-21, 19:25

This is ridiculous. Pale Moon will pick up and standard location npapi plugins installed but only those that match the binary architecture. 32bit Pale Moon will only load 32bit npapi plugins and 64bit will only load 64bit.

Most npapi plugins except the top popular ones like Flash, siverlight, java are more than likely 32bit because Mozilla dragged their feet on 64bit Firefox for half a decade after it was proven stable to produce a 64bit build on Windows officially and by then Google had already started become the supreme arbitor of web technology and their clone then kill plan for plugins was well underway.

As for items in the program directory of Pale Moon you shouldn't add/remove/change anything in there because it can get clobbered on upgrade of the application.. Same reason you shouldn't dump search engine xml files in there.

Do not ever assume I mean more or less or some other alterior implication of what I am saying. I mean precisely what and how I say something. You can ask for clarification but do not assume nor attempt to reinterprete my words because you will almost certainly be wrong.

Lurker_01
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Lurker_01 » 2020-11-21, 19:45

2020-11-21, 19:25
This is ridiculous. Pale Moon will pick up and standard location npapi plugins installed but only those that match the binary architecture. 32bit Pale Moon will only load 32bit npapi plugins and 64bit will only load 64bit.
Could you please clarify what is that standard location? like "C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash" for flash?
As for items in the program directory of Pale Moon you shouldn't add/remove/change anything in there because it can get clobbered on upgrade of the application.. Same reason you shouldn't dump search engine xml files in there.
Thank you for the clarification

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-11-21, 19:48

No because it is irrelevant.

Anon27
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Anon27 » 2020-11-21, 20:09

Lurker_01 wrote:
2020-11-21, 18:30
During my search i have found a solution that is working for Pale Moon and opens pdf's in browser (for me at least). [edit: unfortunately is only per profile based with unknown system location for the browser]
1. You need to download the correct plugins folder for your current Pale Moon architecture 32/64 bit.
2. Rename the folder to "plugins" (without quotes)
3. Find your current Pale Moon profile. Usually under C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles\RANDOM NUMBERS AND LETTERS
4. Paste the plugins folder under the Pale Moon profile directory
5. Start/Restart the browser
6. In about:addons under plugins check that SumatraPDF Browser Plugin has appeared (it will only appear/work under your current profile since it is installed inside your profile directly)
7. Check that the plugin is set as always enabled, if it set as on demand and you directly open a pdf file/page you may see a white screen and would need to allow the plugin via permissions or other methods.
Following these instructions (I now realise the other interpretations were just dumb kkkk obviously you meant just the "PluginsXX" folder, where XX is 32 or 64 depending on my browser architecture, that's exactly what you said) successfully installed the SumatraPDF plug-in on my x64 Pale Moon browser. Thank you very much, @Lurker_01.

Most npapi plugins except the top popular ones like Flash, siverlight, java are more than likely 32bit because Mozilla dragged their feet on 64bit Firefox for half a decade after it was proven stable to produce a 64bit build on Windows officially and by then Google had already started become the supreme arbitor of web technology and their clone then kill plan for plugins was well underway.

This is very helpful, thank you.
Last edited by Anon27 on 2020-11-21, 21:09, edited 2 times in total.

Lurker_01
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Lurker_01 » 2020-11-21, 20:26

Anon27 wrote:
2020-11-21, 20:09
You're saying that I should
  1. Download everything except the folder "Plugins32" into a folder "plugins" (without quotes),
  2. Download only the folder "Plugins64" and rename it "plugins" (without quotes), or
  3. Download only "npPdfViewer.dll" into a folder "plugins" (without quotes)?
I did some further testing and having only npPdfViewer.dll inside the plugins folder is enough for it to work.

So to answer your question:
If your Pale Moon is x32 (32bit) then download only npPdfViewer.dll from the Plugins32 and put it into a folder "plugins" (without quotes)
If your Pale Moon is x64 (64bit) then download only npPdfViewer.dll from the Plugins64 and put it into a folder "plugins" (without quotes)

Anon27
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Anon27 » 2020-11-21, 20:53

[please delete/ignore this post]
Last edited by Anon27 on 2020-11-21, 21:10, edited 3 times in total.

Суки читают

Unread post by Суки читают » 2020-11-21, 21:14

Having used Firefox 22 up until now, why not give 32bit Pale Moon a try? You would still have all plugins you had in Firefox. If you face any performance issues, you can always switch back to the 64bit version.

Anon27
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Anon27 » 2020-11-21, 22:22

I was told x86 was not recommended for compulsive tab hoarders. Can I install x86 without uninstalling x64 to try it out? I've already installed and customised x64, so uninstalling it now would seem like a loss of days of work =(

Lurker_01
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Lurker_01 » 2020-11-22, 00:32

Anon27 wrote:
2020-11-21, 22:22
I was told x86 was not recommended for compulsive tab hoarders. Can I install x86 without uninstalling x64 to try it out? I've already installed and customised x64, so uninstalling it now would seem like a loss of days of work =(
x64 is much better on memory department and doesn't choke as much on media heavy sites and/or having multiple tabs.

Unfortunately is not possible to have both installed at the same time, through the profile is compatible between both. (always make backups, just in case)
For this you would need to uninstall Pale Moon 64-bit from Programs and Features; then install Pale Moon 32-bit with the downloaded 32-bit installer and make sure to don't delete your data during uninstall.

In your current situation through i would recommend for you to download a portable x32 to test it out.
Download the x32 portable build http://www.palemoon.org/download.shtml#Portable_versions and check if your other plugins get detected, you can also copy the contents of your profile to the portable folder "User\Palemoon\Profiles\Default" (clear the folder first) to use your profile there (through this is an unsupported action, temporally is okay, the correct way would be to import your bookmarks/cookies/passwords/etc to this profile)
Do note that since this is a copy your changes will not be saved on the other profile that is for the installed version and is best to not to use the portable profile as your main one afterwards.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-11-22, 02:11

Do not listen to these people, they are attempting to (most likely unintentionally) confuse you with poor recollection of old and incorrect conclusions.

Tell me, and only me, what is more important to you? 32bit plugins or using massive amounts of ram for hundreds of tabs you never close cause bookmarking things isn't a concept you consider as a workflow option.

That will determin what you need. It doesn't require a big ass unformatted convoluted mess of intructions and counter justifications. Just a simple statement of what you need.

Anon27
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Anon27 » 2020-11-22, 02:44

2020-11-22, 02:11
Tell me, and only me, what is more important to you? 32bit plugins or using massive amounts of ram for hundreds of tabs you never close cause bookmarking things isn't a concept you consider as a workflow option.

That will determin what you need. It doesn't require a big ass unformatted convoluted mess of intructions and counter justifications. Just a simple statement of what you need.
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk I think I can manage fine the way I've configured my PMx64 so far; massive amounts of RAM for dozens of tabs (not hundreds — I'm trying to control my hoarding kkkk) is more important to me than compatibility to my original plug-ins. That said, if I could have both, I'd take it. FF22 x86 handled my compulsive tab hoarding just fine back when I had around a hundred tabs open on my laptop, so I doubt PM28 x86 couldn't handle it at least as efficiently, especially if I try that JustOff add-on that is supposed to save memory by unloading unused tabs (still not clear what that means). Do you honestly think PMx86 can't handle five or six dozen tabs simultaneously?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-11-22, 02:54

Several dozen sure unless there is a leaky site with bad js. When someone says hording tabs we normally are talking hundreds if not thousands of tabs.

The leaky js sites are more of the realm of facebook, google, twitter, mainstream news sites or any site that constantly swaps out and loads new content in while just sitting there doing apperently nothing.

Kendo

Unread post by Kendo » 2020-11-22, 04:48

Lurker_01 wrote:
2020-11-21, 19:45
Could you please clarify what is that standard location? like "C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash" for flash?
NPAPI plugins distributed for Mozilla browsers, when they all used to support them, could be located by each browser by checking the registry and looking for the application's association. Consequently Firefox could find plugins installed for Safari and Pale Moon could find plugins installed for Firefox. This still works and if a plugin is not found in PM's browser/plugins folder PM will still find its location if it has been added to the registry.

For example...
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, "SOFTWARE\\MozillaPlugins\\@domain.com/My App\\MimeTypes\\application/x-brand-appname"

So if PM is only finding 4 out of 5 plugins, perhaps it is because it has not been added to the registry (correctly?) and they are relying on Firefox finding it in its own plugins folder.

Anon27
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by Anon27 » 2020-11-22, 06:22

While attempting to manually update a different software I've just inadvertently installed the x64 version without uninstalling the x86 version (I thought the one I already had was x64), and now I have the two versions running side by side and both appear to be functioning properly. Does that mean I could install Pale Moon x86 without uninstalling Pale Moon x64 to try it out and see how it goes?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-11-22, 07:50

You can but it isn't recommended and you may only run any one specific profile in one instance and only one version as your default browser. It could be a confusing problem having both installed.