Release Notes Banner

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

MoonPower

Release Notes Banner

Unread post by MoonPower » 2020-10-29, 07:39

I just saw the top banner for the Release Notes page. There's something kinda strange on it. I understand the Halloween theme with the werewolf, drippy lettering and general horror features, but what's with the three crosses next to the moon? Isn't that more of a Good Friday motif?

Im' not complaining about crosses. (Especially not THE cross, and the Sacrifice it symbolizes.) It just seems like an odd mix. :?

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Release Notes Banner

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-29, 08:23

You know, the halloween theme is a fun little Pale Moon tradition that fell by the wayside a few years ago but I convinced Moonchild to bring it back.

But picking it apart and such kinda ruins the fun.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-29, 09:29

One of the things about Hallowe'en is graveyards. What do you find in graveyards? Crosses. That's all.
What's next, I can't have skulls or trees or the moon because someone might take offence? XD
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2020-10-29, 15:48

(Thanks Tobin for convincing, & Moonchild for doing. I like it :-) :boo:.)

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2020-10-29, 18:15

I am atheist in my religious view so crosses are just symbols of graveyard's and old hammer films.
halloween or samhain or all hallowes eve or whatever it may be called is something which is bizarrely "celebrated" here in the uk,what the hell we are celebrating i am not sure.

it will be soon november the 5th and here in the uk we celebrate an attempt to blow up parliament by catesby and co-conspirators.
funny lot here in the uk lol.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

MoonPower

Unread post by MoonPower » 2020-10-31, 06:07

Moonchild wrote:
2020-10-29, 09:29
One of the things about Hallowe'en is graveyards. What do you find in graveyards? Crosses. That's all.
The crosses in the banner aren't the kind found in graveyards, like what would be found on tomb stones. The banner has three crosses of crucifixion proportions, the type associated with the crucifixion of Christ, arranged in a pattern that clearly suggests the event. Very odd for a Halloween motif.

I didn't tell anyone what to do, I was just curious as to the reason for it so I asked about it. That's allowed, innit?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-31, 08:15

The crosses in the banner aren't the kind found in graveyards
Never visited a poorer graveyard then?
wood-crosses-in-taos-cemetery-elizabeth-rose.jpg
Stop arguing about it.

I'm not going to change the header just because you happen to think it looks like the classical 3-crosses-crucifiction cliché.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-31, 08:38

All I can say is I don't wanna be buried in a Pet Sematary.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-31, 10:04

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-10-31, 08:38
All I can say is I don't wanna be buried in a Pet Sematary.
I don't want you to be buried there either. You coming back from the dead with a 100 times worse disposition? No thank you, I don't want any.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2020-10-31, 10:23

MoonPower wrote:
2020-10-31, 06:07
Moonchild wrote:
2020-10-29, 09:29
The crosses in the banner aren't the kind found in graveyards, like what would be found on tomb stones. The banner has three crosses of crucifixion proportions, the type associated with the crucifixion of Christ, arranged in a pattern that clearly suggests the event. Very odd for a Halloween motif.

I didn't tell anyone what to do, I was just curious as to the reason for it so I asked about it. That's allowed, innit?
Yes but that is a "graven" image in itself.

maybe we should have a shootout like clint,lee,and eli...and guess where that ended...a cross with unknown on it. :crazy:
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-11-01, 00:21

@Moonchild copyright issues aside, I love the Halloween theme on the site and I think it would be awesome to have an official full theme for Pale Moon on similar lines, maybe werewolf themed or something with your artwork. Which is quite fantastic.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-11-01, 10:21

I honestly have little experience designing a full theme from scratch (especially a dark one which has extra pitfalls). Unless there's a template I could use, there's just not going to be enough time. I've had a wonderful idea for a full theme for over a year now but just no opportunity to even begin on it.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-11-01, 12:06

Maybe Lootyhoof or FranklinDM can help if you provide the images?
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

MoonPower

Unread post by MoonPower » 2020-11-02, 02:31

Moonchild wrote:
2020-10-31, 08:15
Stop arguing about it.
I'm not going to change the header just because you happen to think it looks like the classical 3-crosses-crucifiction cliché.
I never asked for--let alone demanded--any changes to the banner or anything else. I just made an observation and posed a question.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-11-02, 05:57

Learn to quote, please.
MoonPower wrote:
2020-11-02, 02:31
I never asked for--let alone demanded--any changes to the banner or anything else.
No, you merely heavily implied it in your original post, that it was "an odd mix", and argued that it didn't belong with Halloween but rather Easter...
That looks like a complaint to me, but maybe I misunderstood the common phrasing used.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-11-02, 13:15

I think this entire thread just shows how anything special is just bitched about because people have become so over triggered by symbols and either forgot or was never taught how critical thinking and contextual association works.
Special Little Snowflake wrote:Crosses mean religion and mainstream news says religion is bad and religion is bad because that is the popular opinion because social media says so and you used bad symbols so you are bad and I am triggered by you being bad because crosses mean religion and everyone knows religion is bad cause I saw it on social media when mainstream news reported on it.
Pure mental illness. Of course my natural response to that insanity is to suggest we need more crosses on the site because that kind of insanity MUST be confronted and triggered people should be triggered unrelentingly for their bullshit. Only way to get them to piss off to their safe space OR hopefully get them to snap out of their trigger trance autopilot.

Anyway, since halloween is over I think we are done here till next year. Though this may have crushed next halloween's enthusiasm. Guess we should all be glad Pale Moon doesn't do anything for Christmas. We'd really be in the shit for that. BinOC on the other hand.. 8-)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-11-02, 14:34

I'm certainly not very motivated to do anything else in the future if it just nets me bitching.
Enjoy the same boring site 24/7/365

tijara
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by tijara » 2020-11-02, 18:51

I really liked the Halloween theme, for what it's worth.

Tohuwabohuix

Unread post by Tohuwabohuix » 2020-11-02, 19:40

Moonchild wrote:
2020-11-02, 14:34
I'm certainly not very motivated to do anything else in the future if it just nets me bitching.
Enjoy the same boring site 24/7/365
Please don't let a tiny handful of political correctness-exaggerators stop you.

Maybe it would be best to respond to such nonsense according to the motto "Don't feed the trolls overdoers" - and now let us do even more with special banners!

How about a special banner on "Fanatics Day" (hm, we could proclaim that day ... for the day after helloween)

I love these particular banners :thumbup:
Last edited by Tohuwabohuix on 2020-11-02, 22:52, edited 3 times in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-11-02, 20:51

The day after Halloween is the day of the dead. Let us all hear from the corpses of all those people who were banned. *checks reddit* Welp. Guess they have nothing to say! Carry on!