Updating Pale Moon in Puppy Linux

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
MGB1971
Moonbather
Moonbather

Updating Pale Moon in Puppy Linux

Unread post by MGB1971 » 2020-10-29, 15:27

Could someone advise, please?

I am trying out Puppy Linux BionicPup 32 and found Pale Moon 27.1.2 in the Update Manager. I downloaded it and it is running nicely but obviously it is an outdated version.

Along with Pale Moon itself there is something called Pale Moon installer, should this be used to attempt to update PM or are later versions of PM incompatible with later versions of Puppy Linux?

One other question - PM opens with the start.me screen. How do I switch to the 'blank' screen with DDG?
Thank you.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Updating Pale Moon in Puppy Linux

Unread post by Night Wing » 2020-10-29, 15:34

I'll answer one of your questions.

Is there a reason why you can't use the newest linux Pale Moon 28.15.0 for Puppy Linux found at the link below?

http://linux.palemoon.org/download/mainline/

On that page, it lists both 32 bit and 64 bit.

FWIW, the link above is where I get my linux Pale Moon so I can use it in 64 bit linux Mint. Have been doing it this way since January of 2014.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-29, 15:37

Can't help you with the puppy specific software management but you can switch to the standard "home" screen through preferences:
Preferences -> general -> Home page
Clear that field so there is no text, click OK.
Your home page is now the "classic" Firefox-alike home page with the logo and DDG search and a few options in the bottom bar.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2020-10-29, 16:16

I use xenialpup 7.5 32bit and have no problems with the latest pale moon.I removed the pre-installed pale moon and pale moon installer and downloaded the 32bit tarball and run it like that.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2020-10-30, 04:56

For the record, Pale Moon installer is discontinued.

MGB1971
Moonbather
Moonbather

Re: Updating Pale Moon in Puppy Linux [Solved]

Unread post by MGB1971 » 2020-10-30, 19:26

Well, a very big thank you to my respondents. A textbook example of a Forum, four replies, all positive, none overlapping and all most useful.

Night Wing - thank you for drawing my attention to the Linux down load site. I have not used Linux very much for a couple of years so was unaware of it. PM 28.15 now installed.
Moonchild - - done!
Moonraker - I followed your advice.
adesh - thank you for the confirmation.

Thank you again.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2020-10-30, 21:20

https://forum.puppylinux.com/

Check into the puppy linux forum..Good folks there and many pale moon users. :thumbup:
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1