The Official Interlink Mail & News Discussion Thread

Former board for discussion of BinOC Applications and Extensions using the Unified XUL Platform.
For historical reference.

Moderator: athenian200

Forum rules
If you are interested in forking any BinOC project and want to coordinate such an effort through the forum, please use viewforum.php?f=69
Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: The Official Interlink Mail & News Discussion Thread

Unread post by Isengrim » 2020-10-06, 14:09

There's a file here for Unix integration, with a few references to a tray but nothing I can really make sense of. I think you're right though, it probably used to be supported and got broken somewhere along the line. Whatever used to be there might not even work anymore if it's really old.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Tohuwabohuix
Banned user
Banned user

Re: Problem with trying to update to Interlink 52.9.7577

Unread post by Tohuwabohuix » 2020-10-06, 21:33

I experienced a strange problem with Interlink 52.9.7577 win32 (Windows 7 starter):

I hadn't installed it yet because of the false positive tests on VirusTotal.

Now I wanted to update v52.9.7521 to the newest version in the way I have always done successfully so far:
I started Interlink as administrator and let it check for updates. It found v52.9.7577 and I let it download and update. Until Interlink asked to restart, everything seemed to be working normally. Interlink closed for the restart - but then nothing went on. In the task-manager Interlink was only with an au_.exe with constantly 64 K and this au_exe didn't close. From now on nothing changed anymore.

I tried to start Interlink but it didn't work - not even after a PC restart. I tried to uninstall Interlink, but it was impossible - in the task-manager there were 2 files from Interlink: helper.exe and another one, which I don't remember exactly (maybe it was a au.exe). After restarting my PC in safe mode, I was able to uninstall Interlink.

But then the strangest things happened: after PC-restart my firewall stopped starting and the PC stopped connecting to the internet. not even after several PC restarts.

Again I had to do a system restore and everything worked as always with older Interlink 52.9.7521. I now tested to uninstall old 52.9.7521 and reinstall it - not the slightest problem arose as often as I repeated this.

I repeated the whole described procedure from the start with updating - again the same whole mess.

After doing another system restore, I uninstalled 52.9.7521 and then installed 52.9.7577 with the .exe - it seemed to work, but an attempt to uninstall 52.9.7577 failed and the whole mess started all over again.

Now I am at the end of this game and I will not try it again. After a repeated system restore I only have the choice to stick with old 52.9.7521 or to switch to Thunderbird until the next version of Interlink.

I will not do further time wasting tests without clear indications on how to fix this.

But well, it would be best if this problem was known and there was a solution for.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-06, 22:50

Well maybe you should start by getting a REAL sku of Windows 7. Starter is crippled and I don't consider it valid.

Tohuwabohuix
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by Tohuwabohuix » 2020-10-08, 19:25

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-10-06, 22:50
Well maybe you should start by getting a REAL sku of Windows 7. Starter is crippled and I don't consider it valid.
Off-topic:
On 32 bit systems there are no big differences between Starter and Home Premium. Only in Pro and Enterprise you did get really a bit more.

Since obviously no one had the problem I described I did further time wasting tests who the culprit is and on how to fix the problem. My memory hit me suddenly and screamed: AVAST!

Of course, Interlink is not the bad guy, not even Win 7 starter - it was Avast with the best of intentions but clumsy implementation. :crazy:

I did a research now since Avast was so naughty on several occasions. I checked it's settings and lo and behold, the dog was buried here: automatic blocking and uploading of files that Avast has never sniffed out and then no barking about Avast's evil deed.

They changed their CyberCapture feature and gave no longer any information when they blocked a file and sent it to Thread Lab. Because of this [irony on]tremendous communicative improvement[/irony off] of Avast, I did not notice that "interlink.exe" and "helper.exe" were temporarily blocked by Avast's CyberCapture.

Now everything is OK again! Interlink is working flawlessly without a vicious watchdog standing in between.

However, I cannot and will not do without Avast, otherwise it might have turned out badly on July 1919 (Sure You remember) .

This post is just for the record - maybe other Interlink users will experience these troubles with an AntiVirus program one day (especially with Avast). :coffee:

petercooperjr
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by petercooperjr » 2020-10-13, 18:23

Using Interlink 52.9.7577 (64-bit) on Windows 10 Enterprise Version 1909 build 18363.1082.

Is there some way to look at the certificate and TLS connection details of the IMAP & SMTP connection to my mail server, similar to what one can do in Pale Moon (and other browsers) by clicking on the lock in the address bar? There is a lock icon on the account in the folder list, but there doesn't seem to be any security information available by clicking on it, and there's no address bar equivalent that I can see.

For some background, I also run my own mail server, and when the TLS certificate is renewed I'd like to be able to easily double-check that the new certificate is being used. I can do testing with openssl s_client and the like to get the certificate being sent by the mail server, and look in the mail server logs for other connection details, but an easy button or dialog or something would be convenient. And if I were using a mail server that I didn't control it'd be even more helpful to ensure that I was connecting to the server that I thought I was. It seems to me that being able to look at the details of one's mail server connection (and confirm the TLS version, cipher, certificate, and so forth) would be at least as useful as being able to look at the details of one's web server connection, so I thought that maybe there was some way to do this built in that I just hadn't stumbled upon yet? Or maybe it's an extension somewhere?

Thanks.

hujan86
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by hujan86 » 2020-10-22, 16:03

False positive by Microsoft's AV just now. Don't panic if you happen to use MSE or Windows Defender.

Avatar's Source: yereverluvinuncleber

Tohuwabohuix
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by Tohuwabohuix » 2020-10-23, 01:45

hujan86 wrote:
2020-10-22, 16:03
False positive by Microsoft's AV just now. Don't panic if you happen to use MSE or Windows Defender.
In my experience, the geniuses at Microsoft are world champions in false positives:
"Hm, could that be something bad? We have no idea, so let's invent a dangerous-sounding name for it."

TrendMicro's guessing game is just as laughable: they are represented with 2 engines on VirusTotal: TrendMicro describes "52.9.7577.win32.installer.exe" as bad evil and TrendMicro HouseCall says "I know NOTHING".

They're just playing a pretty ridiculous antivirus game!

There are certainly good'n'useful players such as BitDefender, Kaspersky or Avast as "Free Antivirus" - with the latter, I actually had almost always good experiences, with one exception regarding a (meanwhile fixed) bug in Avast's CyberCapture notification system.

I think it won't go well without an antivirus program. "MS Security Essentials" I shoved off of the disk but I still use free Avast that puts only little strain on the system - and it rightly warned me of a malware in July 1919 (sure some here remember).

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-10-23, 02:07

Tohuwabohuix wrote:
2020-10-23, 01:45
it rightly warned me of a malware in July 1919
Found the time traveler :P
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

hujan86
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by hujan86 » 2020-10-23, 02:16

Tohuwabohuix wrote:
2020-10-23, 01:45
VirusTotal
"PUA:Win32/Presenoker" huh... In my case, it was detected as a Trojan ("Win32/Zpevdo.B")
Avatar's Source: yereverluvinuncleber

Tohuwabohuix
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by Tohuwabohuix » 2020-10-23, 15:56

hujan86 wrote:
2020-10-23, 02:16
"PUA:Win32/Presenoker" huh... In my case, it was detected as a Trojan ("Win32/Zpevdo.B")
Off-topic:
Ha! It's simple :idea: I imagine it this way:

Different name inventors at MS are simply having fun with the various MS antivirus scanner engines.

The one for VirusTotal's Microsoft antivirus scanner may have had a boy next door named Presenoker who kept beating this nerd up when he was a kid. As a revenge, he now creates the virus name "PUA:Win32/Presenoker".

Another one, in charge of MS Defender may have a wicked mother-in-law named Zpevdo (who had put on him his domineering wife) and now trojan name "Win32/Zpevdo.B" is his pretty revenge. :lol: :angel:

hitokage
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by hitokage » 2020-10-25, 03:17

I want to make a request to Tobin to consider OAuth2Providers.jsm be updated. Some other providers are pushing OAuth2, most recently Yahoo. Apparently there are a few ISPs that use them for e-mail.

Personally the account I have with them is a hold over from way back when I had a GeoCities page. These days I just use it as a junk e-mail address that I don't pay too much attention to, and just used their workaround of generating a special password for Interlink to use.

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2020-10-25, 03:31

Off-topic:
Hey, Charmander:

Neocities is where the cool kids hang. 8-)

They also hang out in #binaryoutcast, but that's beside the point.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-25, 06:43

Unlike the MSFN Hacker Group I can't just leech new oauth keys from Thunderbird development. I really need to replace the Google key as well but Google keeps making it harder and harder to get through their process of issuing one. So I been dragging my feet on it. As for Yahoo and others I may not be able to get one at all.

Given this I am not very keen to adding support for these other services using this locked down illegitimate web technology for imap authentication.

It is one thing to find out after the fact that you are using someone elses key but it is quite another to go out in search for more keys that you shouldn't be nor are allowed to use.

Make no mistake, the new keys in roytam's builds are stolen and as for the Google key that was hard coded in the source I inherited that I am still using it needs replaced as well.

Not to mention a method of providing the keys at build time NOT hardcoding needs to be addressed so when I get new keys they aren't just stolen by roytam and his technothieves.

hitokage
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by hitokage » 2020-10-26, 07:30

Yahoo's OAuth2 developer documentation is here.

AOL also just made the OAuth2 change. I have family members that have old accounts that used to be netscape.net e-mail addresses - I've also got them set-up with the "less secure" sign-on method.

I only made my request because I'm sure it's only at matter of time before the force you to use it - you know, for your own protection.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-26, 07:44

I think Interlink users need to resist this power grab and continued webification by mainstream media companies of email services.

You know the next step will be picking and choosing of which email clients will be allowed to access services finally ending with web-only email outside of approved mobile apps.

R3n_001
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by R3n_001 » 2020-10-29, 17:45

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-10-25, 06:43
Unlike the MSFN Hacker Group I can't just leech new oauth keys from Thunderbird development. I really need to replace the Google key as well but Google keeps making it harder and harder to get through their process of issuing one. So I been dragging my feet on it. As for Yahoo and others I may not be able to get one at all.

Given this I am not very keen to adding support for these other services using this locked down illegitimate web technology for imap authentication.

It is one thing to find out after the fact that you are using someone elses key but it is quite another to go out in search for more keys that you shouldn't be nor are allowed to use.

Make no mistake, the new keys in roytam's builds are stolen and as for the Google key that was hard coded in the source I inherited that I am still using it needs replaced as well.

Not to mention a method of providing the keys at build time NOT hardcoding needs to be addressed so when I get new keys they aren't just stolen by roytam and his technothieves.
Interlink is somewhat of a Thunderbird fork, so you should be able to grab a key without issue.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-29, 20:05

R3n_001 wrote:
2020-10-29, 17:45
Interlink is somewhat of a Thunderbird fork, so you should be able to grab a key without issue.
You don't "grab" keys, they will be issued to you by the oauth provder(s) on request if they agree with your use.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-29, 20:24

I have requested an OAuth2 key from Verizon Media which would cover AOL and Yahoo. It is up to them to issue it. If they do not then well.. We simply won't have it but I am NOT going to STEAL the keys from Thunderbird nor keep using the Google and Yandex ones that were hardcoded in mailnews core forever. It just ain't proper.

mr tribute
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mr tribute » 2020-11-01, 16:06

A little curiosity. Windows popped up while using Interlink (first time ever). Was I hacked by CIA? Covid?
First this window appeared. Then I clicked View... button.
First this window appeared. Then I clicked View... button.
Then this window appeared. I closed these two windows.
Then this window appeared. I closed these two windows.
Then this window appeared again.
Then this window appeared again.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-11-01, 16:12

They fucked up but the cert seems legit just not the right one for the sub-domain. Tell them about it.

I don't know why you censored bits tho.