Extremely Long boot-up time in Ubuntu

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Baloo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Extremely Long boot-up time in Ubuntu

Unread post by Baloo » 2020-10-22, 13:53

I have used both the tarball and Steve Pusser's PPA. I've noticed that Pale Moon is having outrageously long startup times on Pop! OS (Ubuntu 20.04). Not sure if my issue was that I migrated the profile wholesale by using the home folder from a previous install. I have attempted to start a fresh profile but am still seeing the same issues of a very, very long bootup time around 20 seconds or so. Not the same for Firefox. I wanted to make sure this wasn't an issue with my settings or something. After the browser loads, performance is fine. But there is a very noticeable delay on program startup.

Is anyone else having this issue?

The Squash

Re: Extremely Long boot-up time in Ubuntu

Unread post by The Squash » 2020-10-22, 15:20

While Pale Moon is starting up, do you see a lot of disk activity? Try using a system monitor program to see how much of the time the CPU is used.

Are you running Pale Moon from a live CD, perhaps? Those have very long seek times.

What kind of filesystem is Pale Moon on? Is it fragmented?

Baloo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Baloo » 2020-10-22, 17:03

No high CPU usage, I just built this PC which has a Ryzen 5 3600X CPU. CPU usage never goes above 3% during boot up of Pale Moon even with other programs and browsers running. System also has 32GB of RAM. I am not running Pale Moon from a Live CD, this is a full install of Pop OS on my NVME M.2 SSD. The file system is LUKS encrypted with Pop OS. This is the only install on this SSD, partitioned out only for this install. It was brand new and has not been used previously.

I am only having this issue with Pale Moon and no other browsers or programs with regard to bootup time.

The Squash

Unread post by The Squash » 2020-10-22, 22:00

Please launch Pale Moon from the command line (the command is 'palemoon') and tell me if any warnings or errors appear.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-22, 23:00

As if you know anything. Ignore him dude.

The Squash

Unread post by The Squash » 2020-10-22, 23:08

Off-topic:
Please don't make me respond to this B.S. again.

I'm not talking to you, Baloo.
Last edited by The Squash on 2020-10-22, 23:34, edited 1 time in total.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-10-22, 23:34

Do you have another GTK 2 application around? Possibly something big (maybe an old version of Firefox?)
If you do, try executing it and see if you notice slowdowns.
It's only to rule out the possibility that Ubuntu and GTK 2 are becoming incompatible.
It won't really be too strange, as many DE are transitioning towards Wayland and XWayland isn't like a pure X environment.

The Squash

Unread post by The Squash » 2020-10-22, 23:41

Maybe, but I'm both an occasional Ubuntu user and a guy who's read hundreds of thousands of lines of GTK+ code, so that sounds unlikely to me.

I wanted Baloo to check the error output of Pale Moon because it's most likely something dealing with a timeout of some sort.

@Baloo, I also want to know how much time is spent reading/writing from/to the SSD. I doubt it's significant, though.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-10-23, 00:06

Another option I just thought off, is to start without an internet connection: the browser checks for updates at startup and that can cause a delay.

Baloo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Baloo » 2020-10-23, 00:17

vannilla wrote:
2020-10-22, 23:34
Do you have another GTK 2 application around? Possibly something big (maybe an old version of Firefox?)
If you do, try executing it and see if you notice slowdowns.
It's only to rule out the possibility that Ubuntu and GTK 2 are becoming incompatible.
It won't really be too strange, as many DE are transitioning towards Wayland and XWayland isn't like a pure X environment.
An interesting theory, as the only other program I do have that is GTK2 is Interlink Mail & News which also has somewhat of a delay in start-up time. I had also previously had the .deb of Hexchat which I believe was GTK2 themed which also had a delay in startup time. However, I switched to the Flatpak version from the Pop OS repo and it no longer has the delay in bootup time. I am wondering if this is the main issue, that GTK2 programs are handicapped at startup.

Running Pale Moon from the command line gives no error outputs or discernible information.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-23, 03:54

Nor would it because The Squish doesn't know anything about UXP internals and his claims about reading thousands of lines of GTK2 code if even true doesn't mean he understand it or how UXP widget code interacts with it nor if gtk has anything to do with your issue BalooRJ.

uzver
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by uzver » 2020-11-09, 21:15

I'm confirm this issue. On Ubuntu 20.04 (Pop! Os) Palemoon starts with 26 seconds delay regardless of passed options, on my i7 cpu.
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1274371 ... ds-to-open

But I also tried Nitrux linux, based on Ubuntu 20.04 (this distro without systemd), and Palemoon starts up pretty fast there.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-11-09, 22:35

Well... I wouldn't rule out systemd's interference entirely, then.
That thing is almost as big as the browser (figuratively, I haven't acutally checked), so anything can happen here.

uzver
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by uzver » 2020-11-09, 23:34

vannilla wrote:
2020-11-09, 22:35
Well... I wouldn't rule out systemd's interference entirely, then.
That thing is almost as big as the browser (figuratively, I haven't acutally checked), so anything can happen here.
But in 18.04 it was ok with Ubuntu with systemd

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-11-10, 00:21

uzver wrote:
2020-11-09, 23:34
But in 18.04 it was ok with Ubuntu with systemd
Cann you in absolute confidence say that Ubuntu 18.04 has the same byte-for-byte programs that Ubuntu 20.04 has, including but not limited to systemd?
If your answer is no, then it's perfectly normal to see differences between Ubuntu 18.04 and Ubuntu 20.04, especially related to systemd.

Baloo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Baloo » 2020-11-11, 03:08

uzver wrote:
2020-11-09, 21:15
I'm confirm this issue. On Ubuntu 20.04 (Pop! Os) Palemoon starts with 26 seconds delay regardless of passed options, on my i7 cpu.
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1274371 ... ds-to-open

But I also tried Nitrux linux, based on Ubuntu 20.04 (this distro without systemd), and Palemoon starts up pretty fast there.
What is even odder is that when I upgraded to 20.10 Pop OS this went completely away. I've had no more 30 second delays when opening up GTK2 programs like Pale Moon, Interlink, and Hexchat. So I'm not sure if that's just a specific glitch for GTK2 programs in the 20.04 LTS version of Pop OS.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-11-11, 04:43

Which was completely expected and predicted by my self based on shit that was said and experience. So much for The Squish reading every line of the Communist Manifesto or whatever it was he read.

RESOLVED NO1CURR

uzver
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by uzver » 2020-11-12, 12:20

I found a workaround solution:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1184774 ... w-to-start
Looks like this bug comes from previous Ubuntu release. But it's not only Ubuntu bug. Arch too.

Code: Select all

dbus-launch --exit-with-session palemoon
dbus-launch --exit-with-session APPLICATION starts GTK2 apps without delay. But some integration to panel can be lost. And it leaves orphaned `dbus-daemon` processes running after each app closes, so i wrote a little script to avoid it:

#!/bin/bash

app="$1"
shift

dbus-launch --exit-with-session "$app" $@ & sleep 0.5 && pid=$!; export killme=$(pgrep -nx dbus-daemon); export killme2=$(pgrep -f "dbus-launch --exit-with-session $app"); wait $pid && kill $killme $killme2
Save it to your bin PATH, e.g. in `~/bin` directory, named `fastrun`, and run it like:

fastrun APPLICATION

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-11-12, 16:48

So effectively the GTK movement has now built-in a nag for all GTK2 applications?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite