About using Firefox extensions on Pale Moon (discussion)

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: About using Firefox extensions on Pale Moon (discussion)

Unread post by Isengrim » 2020-10-02, 14:18

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-10-02, 11:53
It may help to start small.. You can't just jump in and go crazy.
Off-topic:
Well, you can, if you're also crazy... :angel:
Drugwash wrote:
2020-10-01, 19:42
(BTW, what's the difference between Steve's builds and Trava90's? :? ).
Steven Pusser's build is for distribution through a repository so that it can be updated with the system's package manager. Travis' build does not integrate with the package manager and instead uses Pale Moon's own updater. Otherwise the two builds are equivalent.
Drugwash wrote:
2020-10-02, 11:42
Should we download and install an alpha to work with? Would that affect the current profile? Is there a portable alpha that would use its own profile?
Where should we look for errors? What kind of errors should be targeted first? Are there any page templates for testing purposes? Are there any specific tools to use?
For add-on development and testing I usually make a new profile, which you can do with the profile manager (run palemoon --no-remote --profilemanager from the terminal). That way you don't risk damage to your current profile.

There's a lot of scattered documentation and resources out there. The only tools you really need are a text editor and a zip tool. For hunting down errors, the browser console is likely the best place, but it will also display webpage errors (which can be quite numerous), so you kinda have to know what you're looking for.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-10-02, 14:29

Isengrim wrote:
2020-10-02, 14:18
the browser console is likely the best place, but it will also display webpage errors (which can be quite numerous), so you kinda have to know what you're looking for.
It shows the URL of the script where the error originated, so you can figure out if it was from your extension or elsewhere.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-10-02, 14:36

Drugwash wrote:
2020-10-02, 13:21
I'll need a Linux alpha
You don't. I develop on Pale Moon stable and the only real issue is that when the next milestone is out, the extension will not be immediately compatible (though it could likely be usable anyway, save from huge changes or strict compatibility settings.)
Drugwash wrote:
How to find out whose blame is exactly, are there any specific tools for that?
Error messages are informative. They do contain the location in the source code.
Drugwash wrote:
It may be trial and error more than anything.
Literally what everyone does.
Anyway I'm not telling you to actually work on things yourself (though it'd be appreciated, especially if you were to share), but you are putting the cart before the horses with all these questions.

Drugwash
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Drugwash » 2020-10-02, 15:24

Isengrim wrote:
Well, you can, if you're also crazy... :angel:
Off-topic:
Crazy seems to be the new normal so dunno what I am anymore: a crazy normal or a normal crazy. :lol:
Thanks for clarifying things about the two builds. Too bad there's no portable alpha with a standalone profile. Hopefully I won't botch my daily profile. :oops:
Isengrim wrote:
run palemoon --no-remote --profilemanager from the terminal
Will have to do that from inside the alpha folder otherwise it'd launch the stable build.
There used to be a command line parameter to launch a specific profile but I forgot how it goes. Should be some info around.
Isengrim wrote:
you kinda have to know what you're looking for.
That's the catch.
moonbat wrote:
2020-10-02, 14:29
It shows the URL of the script where the error originated, so you can figure out if it was from your extension or elsewhere.
And that's the cure. ;)
Isengrim wrote:
The only tools you really need are a text editor and a zip tool.
You'll laugh but even in Linux I still find Total Commander (under Wine) the best all-in-one tool (when using a good assortment of plug-ins, of course). Select the xpi, press Ctrl+PgDown, select desired file, click Edit (or press F4) and you're on. When finished editing save file, close editor, and TotCmd will automatically repack the xpi. No need for manual extraction, copying, editing, overwriting, repacking through external tools. 8-)
vannilla wrote:
2020-10-02, 14:36
the only real issue is that when the next milestone is out, the extension will not be immediately compatible
Well that's precisely what I'm trying to avoid, hence working with the alpha to catch and fix - if possible - all issues before the stable gets released.
vannilla wrote:
2020-10-02, 14:36
you are putting the cart before the horses with all these questions.
Just trying to cover all the bases. We'll see if I actually manage to get something done.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-02, 18:06

I keep reading your username as "dogwash" for some reason.

MGB1971
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by MGB1971 » 2020-10-02, 18:30

Here we go again.

Someone is interested in modifying an Extension (so they have read and understood the dire warnings about the future) and they come to this Forum for advice.

The reaction from the experts? Do not expect us to help you, find out yourself. Oh and by the way things are going to change very soon but we can't possibly go into any details.

Are the developers so unconcerned about getting Extensions rejigged for Pale Moon? It certainly seems so.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-02, 19:21

Don't like it? Leave. No one is forcing you to be on this forum.

For the record though my last post was just an aside. I am sure lots of people misread something then they can't unsee it even if they know better. Anyway, we ARE trying to be helpful. But they also have to want that help and proceed down a logical path. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither were the 19 thousand Firefox Extensions.

If he is truly serious then we have already started this journey with him if not then we are wasting our time. BUT that is OUR choice and OUR time to waste. I remain hopeful. That is why the tone shifted. Perhaps you should look past your anti-Tobinism for a second and consider context and stated intent before making a sub-reddit class comment condemning us.

Is that understood, insect?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-02, 19:43

MGB1971 wrote:
2020-10-02, 18:30
Here we go again.
Don't make me have to ban your ass.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2020-10-03, 04:20

Drugwash wrote:
2020-10-02, 15:24
Will have to do that from inside the alpha folder otherwise it'd launch the stable build.
There used to be a command line parameter to launch a specific profile but I forgot how it goes. Should be some info around.
That would be palemoon --no-remote -p <profile_name>.
MGB1971 wrote:
2020-10-02, 18:30
The reaction from the experts? Do not expect us to help you, find out yourself.
Without a central repository of knowledge, it's rather time consuming for us to repeat the same advice over and over, and isn't really worth it if the other person decides to give up part way through. My time at least is limited, so it's easier for me to let new folks go out on their own and give them pointers when they need it. But I'm absolutely willing to help those who are in turn willing to help themselves, so to speak.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Drugwash
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Drugwash » 2020-10-03, 09:20

Guys, please, there's no need for hostility here.
Isengrim wrote:
2020-10-03, 04:20
That would be palemoon --no-remote -p <profile_name>.
Thank you so much.
Isengrim wrote:
2020-10-03, 04:20
Without a central repository of knowledge, it's rather time consuming for us to repeat the same advice over and over
Indeed. There are a few posts that hold some collection of links, maybe all those links could be aggregated into a sticky or something. Unfortunately not all sites are stable, information tends to be deleted when deemed obsolete, links become useless, and people start asking again. I've been through this years ago, just that nowadays changes are happening much faster and not necessarily for good reason. It's hard to keep up, for both users and helpers. We all do what we can given the circumstances.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-03, 09:29

So everyone here is spending hours writing posts complaining about stuff that isn't written up, while they could be spending that time writing up things... :think:
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Drugwash
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Drugwash » 2020-10-03, 09:51

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-10-02, 18:06
I keep reading your username as "dogwash" for some reason.
Maybe last paragraph in this post would help.
Moonchild wrote:
2020-10-03, 09:29
So everyone here is spending hours writing posts complaining about stuff that isn't written up, while they could be spending that time writing up things... :think:
Dunno how to take this so I better stay silent than add to the confusion.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-03, 10:08

Drugwash wrote:
2020-10-03, 09:51
Dunno how to take this
You can take this any way you like. Just a thought in my head. Sorry for sharing. I won't do it again.

MGB1971
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by MGB1971 » 2020-10-04, 13:19

Sorry my sincerely held views provoked such a reaction. Amazing - and worrying.