FossaMail

For discussions about side projects, potential future projects or helper applications for Pale Moon.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

FossaMail

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-11-24, 14:32

Hi folks!

At long last Ive had time to revisit Thunderbird again and build a new mail/news/chat client.
Since the program is currently in early beta stage with the completely new code base and re-branding, use of this is at your own risk.

Of note:
  • The client requires Windows Vista or above. It doesn't run on Windows XP.
  • Optimizations are similar to Pale Moon, built with VS2012.
  • The client will use its own profile/mail folders.
  • The user interface is more standard than recent Thunderbird versions (menu bar, standard window UI, tabs only shown if there are multiple, etc.)
  • The logo and name are © Moonchild Productions. Logo designed by Jaime Udager by commission.
  • This is a reconfigured rebuild of Thunderbird with own branding - no source code changes were made; as such, the source code can be found on the Mozilla servers.
You can grab a copy here: http://ge.tt/6Nxpw021?c
Currently ZIP packaged only, no installer, and x86 only for the time being.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: FossaMail

Unread post by back2themoon » 2013-11-24, 16:29

Great news, thanks. Can we import/copy our Thunderbird profile? If so, where's it's supposed to go?
Every time I open FM, I get the System Integration window - "always perform this check..." is unchecked, and I press Skip Integration.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2013-11-24, 17:14

You can copy your thunderbird folder and then it works, yes :)

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2013-11-24, 17:17

Thanks, but exactly which folder and where to put it? I tried a couple of variations but it didn't work.

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2013-11-24, 17:47

Copy Thunderbird: C:\Users\YourWindowsUsername\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\Randomvalue.default
to FossaMail: C:\Users\YourWindowsUsername\AppData\Roaming\FossaMail\Profiles\

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2013-11-24, 17:57

Ah ok, I thought it was a portable version. I now get: Profile Missing: Your FM profile cannot be loaded. It maybe missing or inaccessible.
Another question: what's the meaning of the "Fossa" part? :)

Rohugh

Unread post by Rohugh » 2013-11-24, 17:58

Is there a delay between receipt of message and task bar/pop-up notification as it seems my notifications are about 1 minute behind receipt. If so is there a setting that can be adjusted?

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2013-11-24, 18:16

back2themoon wrote:Ah ok, I thought it was a portable version. I now get: Profile Missing: Your FM profile cannot be loaded. It maybe missing or inaccessible.
Another question: what's the meaning of the "Fossa" part? :)
FOSSA = Free Open Source Software A, don't know what A is for.

Maybe, Free Open Source Software Alternative?

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2013-11-24, 18:27

@back2themoon: If you just copy the folder instead of the folderfiles to the fossa mail folder, then you need to edit the C:\Users\YourWindowsUsername\AppData\Roaming\FossaMail\Profiles\profiles.ini
Just change the Path= line

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-11-24, 19:06

FOSS = Free and Open Source Software
Fossa = a type of animal. I chose it as the name/mascot because of the match with FOSS ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-11-24, 19:08

If you want to use Thunderbird's profile location, you should be able to do so by changing application.ini in the program's folder.
Change the Name= line to read Name=Thunderbird

Be careful doing this. If something happens to your profile because of FossaMail, it will happen to your mail in Thunderbird as well. This is why I separated it for this beta.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2013-11-24, 19:10

Perfect, works fine now, thanks. Didn't notice any problems at all, apart from an issue also in Thunderbird, which considers all mail in one of my POP incoming subfolders, as draft messages.

What I always wanted from TB is a way to resize (=reduce) the size of the New Mail alert box, and the ability to respect the EXIF rotation tag in pictures. All iPhone pics for example, are not displayed correctly. I didn't use TB's location, just changed profiles.ini. I think what you do with PM is correct - keep profiles always separate. I hope you do this in the final version, too.

Cool name, it just struck me a bit due to its Italian meaning.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-11-24, 19:20

back2themoon wrote:Cool name, it just struck me a bit due to its Italian meaning.
Haha, I see ;)

Well, no, it's got nothing to do with that, and everything to do with these fellows:
(Photo: Ran Kirlian)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fossa_%28animal%29

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-11-26, 01:39

I've now added installers as well as 64-bit versions and the lightning (calendar/events) add-on to http://ge.tt/6Nxpw021

Please let me know if this works for you or not. This is still in beta, and I'll probably not have much time the rest of this week to add more to it or fix things, but getting feedback is important regardless. Give me a to-do list with bugs? ;)

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2013-11-26, 08:52

Thanks. I've never used Lightning, but when I go to its options via the Add-on Manager (the links there are dead btw), the FossaMail (x64) options come up. Is that normal?

edit: oh, I see there's a new Calendar entry to the right, it just wasn't auto-selected .

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2013-11-26, 09:05

FM x64 seems to always set itself as the default mail application. Pressing the E-Mail button on my Logitech keyboard, will launch FM even though TB is set to open in Logitech SetPoint, and set as default in Windows.

Right-clicking on a file and Send to:mail recipient seems to open FM and crash it immediately. I got a Windows error report the first time, and then nothing. When TB is reopened, it asks to be set as default again.

eskaton
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by eskaton » 2013-11-28, 14:21

It's been quite some time since I used Thunderbird. I can't remember what features it previously had and what's changed in the interim, but is there any way to have either the taskbar or system tray icon show the unread email count? I know an addon is required to minimize the program to the system tray, but I couldn't find anything to show the unread count.

Rohugh

Unread post by Rohugh » 2013-11-28, 15:05

I had this problem but was told about the New Mail Attention addon. It works fine but I don't like the delay between a mail arriving and the notification showing, you will also need the Minimize to Tray Revived add-on as well.

akhna+3n

Unread post by akhna+3n » 2013-11-28, 22:56

Guys,

I dont like this name. In Portuguese the meaning of fossa is "a place full of shit or excrement". I think you should make a change.

Thanks,
Akhna+h3n

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-11-28, 23:49

But even in Portuguese it's also the name of the animal. (As well as meaning "sink" and "gully")
I'm sure "mail" in other languages can also mean something "bad" ;)

Sorry that you don't like the name, but it's not going to change.