The Official Interlink Mail & News Discussion Thread

Former board for discussion of BinOC Applications and Extensions using the Unified XUL Platform.
For historical reference.

Moderator: athenian200

Forum rules
If you are interested in forking any BinOC project and want to coordinate such an effort through the forum, please use viewforum.php?f=69
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: The Official Interlink Mail & News Discussion Thread

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-09-26, 13:35

I just checked and can't seem to reproduce any issue with spellchecking.

Setting the non-English language from the context menu on the write window properly switches the language.
Setting the default language to non-English from preferences and opening a new compose window has the new default language selected.
(I tested with Swedish)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2020-09-26, 13:42

mr tribute wrote:
2020-09-23, 19:52
I noticed that Interlink doesn't work with non-English dictionaries anymore.
Did you get your dictionaries from here (Language Tools/Dictionaries) or are they Firefox/Thunderbird ones? If so, try uninstalling them and reinstall from provided link.

mr tribute
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mr tribute » 2020-09-26, 19:17

I tested with two new Interlink "installations". One in a VM and one on metal. I can't reproduce the issue either.

Something must have happened locally with my main Interlink instance. I will soon upgrade to newer Linux so it doesn't matter much. Thanks for your help! I thought maybe I wasn't the only one. I tested a couple of dictionaries (from binaryoutcast.com), but it seems it was just a local (but persistent) glitch.

I consider it solved unless I run into the same problem in the future.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-09-26, 19:55

Do let me know if it happens again and take special note of when and how it happens.

karlkracher
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by karlkracher » 2020-09-26, 22:08

Hi,

the lightning extension has a small error: The today pane doesn't show events if interlink was started during the first hour after midnight.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-09-27, 03:47

I can'r provide a whole lot of support for the calender extension. But you aready know that.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-09-27, 07:28

karlkracher wrote:
2020-09-26, 22:08
Hi,

the lightning extension has a small error: The today pane doesn't show events if interlink was started during the first hour after midnight.
Did you set your time zone correctly? It's in Edit -> Preferences -> Calendar -> General.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

mr tribute
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mr tribute » 2020-09-27, 12:21

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-09-26, 19:55
Do let me know if it happens again and take special note of when and how it happens.
OK, I will do that.

karlkracher
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by karlkracher » 2020-09-28, 12:59

Moonchild wrote:
2020-09-27, 07:28
Did you set your time zone correctly? It's in Edit -> Preferences -> Calendar -> General.
Thank you Moonchild :thumbup: last night it worked as expected. Wasn't enough to tell the os that i moved.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-09-28, 13:55

karlkracher wrote:
2020-09-28, 12:59
Wasn't enough to tell the os that i moved.
There's no reason to assume everyone would want to use whatever time zone is set in the OS as the time zone for your calendar :)

Tohuwabohuix

Re: interlink-52.9.7577.win32.installer is nasty according to confused VirusTotal

Unread post by Tohuwabohuix » 2020-10-04, 13:54

:shock:
What is this Google-Alphabet-Chronicle-VirusTotal-bullshit for?

When I check interlink-52.9.7577.win32.installer.exe on VirusTotal it says Microsoft would detect it as infected with Trojan:Win32/Wacatac.C!ml. In a second scan shortly afterwards, Microsoft is supposed to recognize it as "PUA:Win32/Presenoker" infected.

However, if I scan locally with my installed "Microsoft Security Essentials" (latest definitions), interlink-52.9.7577.win32.installer.exe is clean! Avast also recognizes it as clean.

If I now change the 7z.sfx interlink-52.9.7577.win32.installer.exe by adding any file and afterwards removing it again, VirusTotal does not detect an infection via Microsoft.

So VirusTotal's Microsoft scanner just complains about the 7z.sfx packaging. All other scan machines say there is no infection.

:crazy:

So, is this VirusTotal just hyped-up nonsense? :shh:

virustotal#1.jpg
virustotal#2.jpg
MSE#1.jpg
MSE#2.jpg

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-04, 15:38

The web scanners are flagging my files but you modify it and it suddenly says it is clean?

Sounds like someone is flagging and targeting my releases now.

Btw, my Windows releases lately are built on the same build server that Pale Moon and Basilisk releases are built on sitting in Moonchild's house and uploaded from there not touching my workstation.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-04, 15:55

Off-topic:
I guess to go right along with the persistent, coordinated, distributed hacking attempts on 3 of the Pale Moon servers. No that THOSE are getting anywhere :P

Tohuwabohuix

Unread post by Tohuwabohuix » 2020-10-04, 16:54

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-10-04, 15:38
The web scanners are flagging my files but you modify it and it suddenly says it is clean?
Same result when I un7zip interlink-52.9.7577.win32.installer.exe: VirusTotal says that file "setup.exe" and folder "core" are clean.
For me that means that VirusTotal's Microsoft engine only complains about the 7z.sfx packaging - and only the Microsoft scanner. The other sanners on VirusTotal say: clean!

But anyway: As I wrote, I don't trust in VirusTotal any longer.

Those were just curious tests and my post just for the record! :coffee:

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-04, 17:03

Well Icon and version metadata aside it is the same sfx that Pale Moon. So yeah, bs false positives are bs.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-04, 20:28

They are signature false positives on compressed data.
Just the unlucky occurrence of having a compressed data stream exactly match a known malware signature (= specific sequence of bytes). It doesn't have anything to do with the 7z sfx module, either. The act of decompressing and recompressing in "update" fashion will change the compressed data and therefore no longer match the signature they look for.

Andrew Herbert

Unread post by Andrew Herbert » 2020-10-06, 13:20

Does Interlink lack a notifications tray icon on Linux? :think:

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-06, 13:44

Linux tends to lack a proper system tray in modern Desktop Environments.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2020-10-06, 13:56

Many Linux DEs do have system trays, certainly anything derived from GNOME Desktop or KDE will. I thought there used to be a few cross-platform extensions for Thunderbird that added tray integration; if you can find one I'm sure it could be forked.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-06, 14:00

In Gnome there isn't be default any way to see "legacy" tray icons like for example for Pidgin without a shell extension or whatever Gnome calls them. If the functionality isn't in Interlink then it must have just been considered non-essential since we have to destroy anything useful. I want to say Thunderbird used to but I dunno when and I am not entirely sure it ever did but I want to SAY it did.