Crashing PM in Puppylinux

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
doffen

Crashing PM in Puppylinux

Unread post by doffen » 2020-08-21, 20:45

Hi, I am currently using a 64-bit PM 28.12.0 in Puppylinux tahr64_6.0.6. When I use it to browse the local site finn.no, similar to craigslist.com, I experience frequent crashes with PM. It happens usually when browsing entries in gallery mode, i.e. lots of small pics. This has happened with all PMs I have used since the 27. version series, and is very annoying. It sometimes happens after only a few minutes, sometimes after 15-20 minutes, sometimes not at all.
When I start PM from a terminal window, I get no messages other than PM don't find flashplayer.so, which doesn't bother me. When I close PM, I get the message below in the terminal. Does this message influence the way PM works, and cause the crashes? Is this something I can modify?
palemoon.jpg

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Crashing PM in Puppylinux

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2020-08-21, 22:14

You probably meant to post in the Linux board
(rather than in the mostly retired Android board).

doffen

Unread post by doffen » 2020-08-22, 11:39

Sorry, my mistake, I thought I did! :o
Thank you for moving it.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-08-23, 01:06

Unfortunately I can't help with the crash, but I can at least say that the messages you get from the terminal are unrelated.
Maybe try to generate a core dump or run it in gdb to check if the crash happens in the browser or in a third party library.
Even if there are no debug symbols, gdb should be able to tell if the crash happens within the application or outside of it.

doffen

Unread post by doffen » 2020-08-23, 02:27

Thank you.

Mike_Walsh
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Mike_Walsh » 2020-08-23, 12:23

@ doffen :-

Few questions for ya. This could be related to the fact that Tahr64's deps/etc are getting rather long in the tooth now....

How is Puppy installed? Full install, or frugal?

If frugal, do you use a save file, or a save-directory?

How did you install Pale Moon itself?

I've been running multiple Puppies for several years now; this could be Puppy-related, and not an issue with Pale Moon at all. Or it could just be a bad download. Could be any one of a number of issues....

Mike. ;)
Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2020-08-23, 20:24

I have been using puppy linux for years with absolutely no issues.I would tend to agree that tahrpup even though is functional is quite old now.Xenialpup is what i use but bionicpup or maybe another pup may be beneficial.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

doffen

Unread post by doffen » 2020-08-28, 11:27

I usually install PM from the latest tarball, my tahr64 is a frugal installation with a save directory. My first frugal, I usually run a live Puppy from a multisession CD or DVD, and load PM from the HDD, to avoid a frequent upgrade of the CD/DVD.
I have a laptop with a live EasyPup 2.3.3 on a DVD-R, but I have only used PM sporadic in that one, yet. I'll test PM some more and report back. BTW; BarryK's EasyPup, based on the latest Debian Buster, feels just like the old Puppys. It has all the goodies, and multisession DVD-R works perfectly. Recommended!
Mike, greetings from Norway, my usual username was already taken in this forum.
Yours, Olaf

doffen

Unread post by doffen » 2020-09-11, 18:25

Will these two cache settings in about:config contribute to the crashes?
Because, I have not set them! :shock: But, PM seems to think so, and mark them as user set in about:config.
The situation in about:config is normally as seen in the picture below.
If I now reset the 'browser.disk.capacity' in about:config, it will be reset to 250Mb. As soon as I close about:config and opens a new url, I can see that it is switched back by itself to 320Mb in preferences, and the entry in about.config is marked as user set, even if I haven't touched it.
I don't know what 'browser.cache.disk.smart_size-first_run' does, but I have not set it in about:config, even if it is marked as user set.
If I toggle it back to true, it switches back to 'user set as false by itself, when I open a new url.
What is happening?
about-config-settings.jpg
prefs-settings.jpg

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-09-11, 18:31

cache v2 and its cache settings have not been touched for a long while and is (very) stable code. FTR it does set some non-default prefs as part of normal operation (so do other components!) -- there's a reason why about:config has a warning screen when opened. That includes touching prefs that were system-set.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

doffen

Unread post by doffen » 2020-09-11, 20:46

moonchild wrote: -- there's a reason why about:config has a warning screen when opened. That includes touching prefs that were system-set.
Sorry, moonchild, no disrespect, but you totally miss my point.

1) According to about:config, there are two options marked user set, which I - the user - haven't set.
2) And if I set them back to the default setting, i.e. such that they are marked default, they set themselves back to user set.
What do these setting actually do?
Will these settings have anything to do to PM crash when I open the site mention, and scroll down the page while it is in so called 'gallery mode', with 2-3-4 pics on each line, as shown below?
Edited: I have not limited the cache in preferences, so if that option is available, but doesn't work, is that an indication of something else?
finn-gallery.jpg
Last edited by doffen on 2020-09-11, 20:55, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-09-11, 20:53

No I didn't miss your point at all. "user set" just means "not default". that can either be set by you, yourself, or set by an extension, or set by the browser.
And touching those you don't know what they do even if they weren't set by you, yourself, is still bound to get your ass singed.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

doffen

Unread post by doffen » 2020-09-11, 21:01

I have no extensions, or any kind of additions, I don't use bookmarks or history, and I have set the preferences to clear everything when I close PM, and I close PM between subjects browsed.
Why is the cache capacity set to 320Mb, without any interaction from me, when it defaults to 250Mb?
When I browse the about:config settings, I usually get an answer to what they do and how they behave. Not so this time, that is why I ask.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2020-09-12, 03:33

doffen, those preferences are set by the browser itself. The specific value of preferred cache size is determined by the available disk space on your computer, probably along with some other factors too. This happens on browser start and is part of Smart Cache or, as Moonchild said, Cache v2 browser component.

Also in this specific case, these preferences shouldn't cause a crash or other major problems.

doffen

Unread post by doffen » 2020-09-13, 03:23

Thank you, adesh. That was the answer I was looking for. :thumbup:

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2020-09-17, 15:23

Off-topic:
This issue sounds a bit... rrruff!
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

doffen

Unread post by doffen » 2020-11-11, 14:46

I am not sure if I break the forum rules by bringing up this thread again, but I still have the same problems. I have updated the PM, I am currently using the latest 28.15.0, but there is no change. I also have a portable version (3.1.1929.34) of the Vivaldi browser, and I can browse the same site there, whitout experiencing any problems. It seems that the problem may be related to using Palemoon.

Are there any suggestions at all, to what may cause the problems?