The Official Interlink Mail & News Discussion Thread

Former board for discussion of BinOC Applications and Extensions using the Unified XUL Platform.
For historical reference.

Moderator: athenian200

Forum rules
If you are interested in forking any BinOC project and want to coordinate such an effort through the forum, please use viewforum.php?f=69
Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: The Official Interlink Mail & News Discussion Thread

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2020-08-26, 05:17

This is determined by the server you are connecting to. IMAP servers can have a set of folders configured that you cannot unsubscribe from.
True; some of my mail providers *do* allow unsubscribing from some standard folders. Further, Interlink itself has some smarts along these lines. If you unsubscribe from a Drafts folder, regardless of its name, and then save a new message to it, Interlink automatically re-subscribes to the folder. That is perfectly reasonable.
[doing what you're asking] anyway would be breaking with the IMAP standard protocol.
Not sure of your meaning here. If that were true, then a fully-compliant client would get the list of whatever folders the server says must always be displayed, and grey-out the corresponding checkboxes, to prevent the UI from seeming to allow unsubscribing.

Still, it is client's job to add usability wherever the standard (or the server's implementations) fails in that regard. For example, hiding folders the user wants to never see, regardless of the standard, is a great reason for open-source software to exist. Users can always re-subscribe, or clients can auto-re-subscribe whenever it makes sense to. If clients were required to display whatever folder names the server decides, then that would look to me like a defect in the standard.

Testing against GMail is no good, because they do a lot of non-standard IMAP chicanery that confuses Interlink, resulting in duplicate-looking special folders at different levels of the IMAP hierarchy, among other unexpected behaviors. Of course the client is going to use only one of the duplicates. Even futzing around with Account Settings -> Copies & Folders does not help. The Ggl server tries to act like a client, so the user experience can't tell whether the client's or the server's designated names will be used for operations on the special folders. Interlink cannot rename folders while they are designated as special folders in this dialog; this makes sense.

My reading of the implementations in all good IMAP clients I've used leads me to believe that even "standard" or "special" folders are supposed to be renamable and un-subscribable, unless the server's configuration prohibits that. (Read: the server's software never bothered become compliant by moving the special folder names from the source code to client-controllable config files.) If the IMAP standard actually prohibited these actions, then the UI controls for performing the actions would not appear in every full-featured program I've used (desktop clients, mobile clients, web-based clients).

Testing against a compliant server shows that Interlink supports assigning the "Drafts", "Sent", and "Trash" functionalities to folders having non-standard names, even when the server prohibits renaming or deleting the built-in folders. These built-in folders can properly be un-subscribed. An exception is - the server places a copy of the message in "Sent" regardless of what the client does. Thus, when any folder is designated as "When sending messages, automatically Place a copy in", the account ends up with two copies of the message in different folders. All this is a win for Interlink's compliance to the standard.

The server that is failing me is Dovecot. I can see the changes it makes to its per-account 'subscribe' files, and the special folders do not appear in there. Not sure if the ISP provides other IMAP servers.

Browsing the Thunderbird-class source code gives me a headache. Are you aware of any relevant discussions in the Moz development forums? Or, where can I find the most current relevant RFCs?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-08-26, 06:27

Bilbo47 wrote:
2020-08-26, 05:17
Not sure of your meaning here. If that were true, then a fully-compliant client would get the list of whatever folders the server says must always be displayed, and grey-out the corresponding checkboxes, to prevent the UI from seeming to allow unsubscribing.
No, because that kind of meta information isn't communicated beforehand. Would be nice if it worked that way but it doesn't.
Your unsubscribe request is just that: a request. Whether the server follows up on that request is up to the server configuration and won't be communicated to the client (aside from the fact that the folder will be there or not).

There is no "compliant" server implementation with "always having folders x, y or z". That is not how IMAP works. IMAP is a protocol that reflects what is stored ON THE SERVER and by definition does not store mail locally. How the server structure is organized and what folders are communicated to the client or not is up to the server's configuration. that may be from nothing at all to everything, and anything in-between. How folders are named on the server is also not in any way standardized or set.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

docR11

Unread post by docR11 » 2020-08-26, 21:06

Apologies if this has been communicated before, it's a rather long thread and I haven't visited every post.

Bi-directional Google Calendar integration works great via Lightning (many thanks for porting Lightning to UXP), but to nobody's surprise there's some useragent sniffing at work. The Google login page to authenticate and select a calendar to sync turns up a white page. It functions after toggling

Code: Select all

general.useragent.compatMode.firefox
to true

I've seen reports of the same occurrence for Thunderbird as well, but I haven't seen any mention for Interlink. Not suggesting the UA/brand identity of the client be scrubbed over a predictable Google-y behavior, I just wanted to make this issue known for reference since I saw no other mention of it elsewhere.

Thanks

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-08-26, 22:56

I'll add it to the FAQ later on.

racorbin2010

Fixing Google Calendar Interface

Unread post by racorbin2010 » 2020-08-27, 01:55

docR11 wrote:
2020-08-26, 21:06
Apologies if this has been communicated before, it's a rather long thread and I haven't visited every post.

Bi-directional Google Calendar integration works great via Lightning (many thanks for porting Lightning to UXP), but to nobody's surprise there's some useragent sniffing at work. The Google login page to authenticate and select a calendar to sync turns up a white page. It functions after toggling

Code: Select all

general.useragent.compatMode.firefox
to true

I've seen reports of the same occurrence for Thunderbird as well, but I haven't seen any mention for Interlink. Not suggesting the UA/brand identity of the client be scrubbed over a predictable Google-y behavior, I just wanted to make this issue known for reference since I saw no other mention of it elsewhere.

Thanks
Many Thanks. This has solved a problem that had perplexed me for quite awhile. I was sure that Google was doing some funny business, but didn't know if there was a workaround.

docR11

Re: Fixing Google Calendar Interface

Unread post by docR11 » 2020-08-27, 02:20

racorbin2010 wrote:
2020-08-27, 01:55

Many Thanks. This has solved a problem that had perplexed me for quite awhile. I was sure that Google was doing some funny business, but didn't know if there was a workaround.
I was rather perplexed by it too, to say the least. Glad you too found it useful. I'm not fond of useragent-spoofing myself, it's rather crude. But if it works it works :coffee:
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-08-26, 22:56
I'll add it to the FAQ later on.
Much appreciated.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2020-08-29, 12:31

Does this article apply regarding Remote Content exceptions being stored in both content-prefs.sqlite and permissions.sqlite files? Can these be safely moved in different profiles in order to import/export these exceptions? Thanks.
article wrote:The permissions.sqlite and content-prefs.sqlite files store the permissions for what remote content can be displayed. This used to be stored in the address book.
Lightning also uses that file (permissions.sqlite)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-08-29, 13:38

Leave it alone.

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2020-08-30, 08:06

docR11 wrote:
2020-08-26, 21:06
Google Calendar integration
I wish that the Google Calendar extension was removable, rather than just able to be disabled. I know that I can manually remove the extension's file(s), but that is a bit of a hassle.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-08-30, 08:23

It's shipped by default since the integration matters to people who use the calendar feature - the extension file should be in the extensions/ directory under the interlink program directory.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-08-30, 08:50

Lightning is integrated because its binary components MUST MATCH the application it is used in. This was carefully considered and of the options available the current setup is the best compromise.
And you can disable Lightning and the provider for Google Calendar from the addons manager. No need to hack your application and/or profile.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-08-30, 14:32

By default they ARE disabled because of add-on location scope settings (the same thing that helps protect against automatically loading and enabling extensions that get injected by other software).

Lightning was repeatedly requested by the users so it is included on a "best effort" basis. I did not want it at all and if it breaks it can only be maintained with my best effort or community contribution. Now with the new status quo being that binoc-central repo being kept private contributions are more difficult.

Unless you become a member or trusted partner of Binary Outcast that is. As indicated elsewhere a totally open development scheme has breed massive abuse of intellectual property thus going forward only the covered code of an executable form released shall be disclosed and only by e-mail request as outlined in the BinOC EULA.

It is a real shame that it has come to this actually but I was left with few options. Regardless, all licences shall be followed to the letter and you, as users, must follow the EULA to use my software which includes the rights granted by open source licenses.

If you do request a copy of the source code form for covered code please specify the application and released version of the source you seek to obtain. Do note any proprietary elements will be filtered out and the result may not be something you can build into a complete functional executable. Keep in mind that the MPL is strictly file based unlike the GPL which is whole project based and assimilative.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2020-08-30, 21:21

Small error on the main page: "It available for Microsoft Windows and Linux"

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-08-30, 21:53

Have you got nothing better to do?

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2020-08-30, 22:00

Yes. Already doing it. Move on.

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2020-09-10, 11:00

I have searched this forum for a solution, but couldn't find it.
The chances are good that it has been solved/mentioned here before. So the issue I am having is Outlook meeting/event invites are broken. All I see is an outlook URL ( https://outlook.office365.com/owa/etc etc).

Is there an addon I need to install or workaround for this? A friend told me that Thunderbird parses them correctly, but who wants to use TB?
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

OrnamentalFireExtinguisher

Unread post by OrnamentalFireExtinguisher » 2020-09-21, 14:15

Posting to say thanks for all the work you've done.

I've been through so many mail clients, and I absolutely despise the new software trends. The always-on tracking of user behavior, desktop applications that are nothing more than a stylized web-browser that simultaneously manage to eat more ram than computers even had during the early 2000s, for the sake of reading email.

It's really refreshing to see a project that takes a piece of software like Thunderbird, and maintains the things that are great about it without chasing the trends of "Modern software".

So anyways, I'm really happy to have come across Interlink, you're all awesome.

racorbin2010

Unread post by racorbin2010 » 2020-09-21, 16:49

Exactly the way I feel! Well said!!

mr tribute
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mr tribute » 2020-09-23, 19:52

I noticed that Interlink doesn't work with non-English dictionaries anymore. It has been like that for a while (a couple of releases I guess). I use the latest version of Interlink.

It can be hard to replicate the problem, because sometimes dictionaries work right after changing language, but there seems to be a glitch in the spellchecking/dictionary setting in Write window.

Only English seems to work as default for spellcheck even if you set another dictionary/language as default.

Apart from this I'm very happy with Interlink. Spellcheck did work correctly before, meaning that if you set a language the spellchecker would recognize that language and it could even be used as default spellcheck language.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-09-26, 12:35

When did it stop working properly?