Adding a helper file so PM shows up in default XFCE browser selection

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Adding a helper file so PM shows up in default XFCE browser selection

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2020-08-26, 02:31

I had a fellow MX developer send this palemoon.desktop to me for the next revision, to be installed into /usr/share/xfce4/helpers:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Icon=palemoon
Name=Pale Moon
NoDisplay=true
StartupNotify=false
Terminal=false
Type=X-XFCE-Helper
X-XFCE-Binaries=palemoon;
X-XFCE-Category=WebBrowser
X-XFCE-Commands=%B;
X-XFCE-CommandsWithParameter=%B "%s";
I hope that there won't be any objections to this for the MX and OBS repo builds that we do? Let me know if there are.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Adding a helper file so PM shows up in default XFCE browser selection

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-08-26, 06:19

If it helps Pale Moon integration in the DE, then I don't see why there would be any objections.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

bgstack15
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by bgstack15 » 2020-08-26, 11:54

Does Xfce not parse the .desktop files in /usr/share/applications for all the mimetypes that each .desktop file handles? I realize this file is in a separate spot, but not everybody has Xfce installed. Would making this change to the /usr/share/applications/palemoon.desktop file itself work for your integration purpose?

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2020-08-28, 05:57

As I understand it, the "Preferred Applications" in the XFCE settings uses that particular file to add Pale Moon to the list of browsers. Right now, PM doesn't appear in that list--I just confirmed it in in my installs.

I could try a temporary edited palemoon.desktop file in ~/.local/share/applications to see if adding those couple of lines would work to add it to the XFCE settings, but I'm kind of doubtful.

A little more research shows that the main set of "helpers" in /usr/share/xfce4/helpers is installed by the libexo-helpers package, which is part of XFCE, so the other option is for me to create and maintain a patched version of that package which adds the palemoon.desktop file.

bgstack15
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by bgstack15 » 2020-08-28, 17:19

stevepusser wrote:
2020-08-28, 05:57
the other option is for me to create and maintain a patched version of that package which adds the palemoon.desktop file.
Oh, don't do that! You'll have to maintain such a fork forever which is way too much to commit to. Just add a new file to your palemoon dpkg that you publish. My first reaction was not very important and was more of just a thought.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-08-28, 17:26

Please stop trying to interfere in the legitimate activities of trusted Pale Moon packagers.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-08-28, 18:39

Please stop trying to distract the activities of trusted Pale Moon packagers when they have simple solutions already!
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2020-08-29, 02:15

No, I don't mind at all! bgstack has helped me solve several issues with building on the OBS.

The best solution would be for the upstream exo package to support palemoon with all the other browsers, but until then, I think adding the helper file with the browser package itself will have to do, even if the user isn't running XFCE.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-08-29, 08:13

Okay then. I'll let you channel your own distractions ;-)

IIUC The file won't hurt anything if present when people aren't running XFCE, and since Linux is Linux, we're just going to have to deal with 5 steering wheels in many places, so, yes. supply it, up until the other package maintainers decide they will add Pale Moon to their curated list of "common" software.

Baloo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Baloo » 2020-08-29, 12:47

This change is much appreciated! This has been bothering me for a little bit. Glad to see it is being remedied! :thumbup:

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2020-08-31, 04:00

Baloo wrote:
2020-08-29, 12:47
This change is much appreciated! This has been bothering me for a little bit. Glad to see it is being remedied! :thumbup:
It will also work if you create and add the file manually as shown in my first post. I'm waiting for the next PM update to add it.