Borealis Navigator Pre-Release Thread

Former board for discussion of BinOC Applications and Extensions using the Unified XUL Platform.
For historical reference.

Moderator: athenian200

Forum rules
If you are interested in forking any BinOC project and want to coordinate such an effort through the forum, please use viewforum.php?f=69
Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Borealis Navigator Pre-Release Thread

Unread post by Moonraker » 2020-08-04, 09:37

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-08-04, 08:36
There are a few legit reasons to still produce a 32bit build for Windows. An obscure 32bit npapi plugin.. Some 64bit graphics drivers don't play well with us with 64bit code but they seem fine on 32bit builds. That and lots of lots of 32bit Windows users. A fuck ton more that Linux 32bit.

Regardless, this is irrelevant to my projects. I won't support Linux 32bit, period. Please do not bring it up again.
I have used pale moon for a very long time and by the sound of it the linux32bit version will be unsupported after november...this has left me in an awkward position as i have no 64bit machine (not yet.).
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2020-08-04, 10:23

Moonraker wrote:
2020-08-04, 08:24
Same argument must apply for 32bit windows.
old.?
Most linux distros 32bit are up to date .

any excuse just to toss 32bit on the shitpile and say ta da.
No, actually, it's very easy to cross-compile a 32-bit Windows application on 64-bit Windows. The same is not true for 32-bit Linux.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2020-08-04, 11:48

Isengrim wrote:
2020-08-04, 10:23
Moonraker wrote:
2020-08-04, 08:24
Same argument must apply for 32bit windows.
old.?
Most linux distros 32bit are up to date .

any excuse just to toss 32bit on the shitpile and say ta da.
No, actually, it's very easy to cross-compile a 32-bit Windows application on 64-bit Windows. The same is not true for 32-bit Linux.
well i do not fancy the prospect of using another browser after november..this 32bit machine works just fine for my needs .I could just use palemoon as long as i can before it goes pop in the future.

If push comes to shove then i would have to reluctantly use firefox but it would be reluctantly.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-08-04, 16:16

And it is still being brought up. Look, as you are WELL AWARE, the timetable for not producing PALE MOON linux 32 bit binaries has been laid out and the reasons for them and the discussion surrounding it are all in different posts and have nothing to do with BinOC Projects.

Binary Outcast had never had a 32bit linux build released for any of the projects.

For further discussion, which will not change anything including the reality and details please see the relevant posts elsewhere.

This board is for BinOC Projects that is Borealis, Interlink, some extensions, and php written web software created and maintained by Binary Outcast. Not Pale Moon, or Basilisk or anything else created by Moonchild Productions (with the exception of UXP its self but only insofar as it relates to BinOC).

So please go elsewhere on the forum. Also, thank you btw for effectively burying my latest ON-TOPIC project status update.

See that news here: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=22241&start=40#p196288

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-08-08, 09:00

Another update on Borealis development...

So, like with the last update.. I am trying to update some of the User Experience stuff to make it more classy and more importantly much more consistent. Here is what I have done today!

09591118-4941-41a1-9d68-541678da6d7c.jpg

The Password Manager will be next to achieve a similar consistent style. Also, I have removed the current implementation of the Shell Service and Windows NSIS Installer code. In doing so I will force my self to ACTUALLY GET IT REPLACED WHICH IS THE CURRENT MAJOR BLOCKER. So that shall happen soon.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-08-08, 20:59

And there we go.. The managers are all sorted! Password Manager looking pretty good and the Cookie Manager has folder icons now on the Modern Theme!

Image1.png

[ghost]

Unread post by [ghost] » 2020-08-10, 00:40

2020-08-08, 20:59
And there we go.. The managers are all sorted! Password Manager looking pretty good and the Cookie Manager has folder icons now on the Modern Theme!

Image1.png
Better change that google icon to the duck!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-08-10, 06:13

Maybe he'd want to use https://www.dogpile.com/ instead? I dunno. His browser navigator, his choices :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2020-08-10, 06:34

techboyg5 wrote:
2020-08-10, 00:40
Better change that google icon to the duck!
Off-topic:
I'm not sure if Tobin's usage of Google is more out of long term habit (believable), or if it is because he feels that DuckDuckGo is subpar (also believable).

I say that with all due respect, mind you. That was just one thing that I never understood. He seems to still use Google for his search engine.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-08-10, 09:31

I am not happy with any search engine these days. To be honest I really don't even use a search engine for very much. I don't search very much at all because I am pretty disgusted with "The Open Web". There is one thing I do search for.. Bugzilla bugs. And Google's search engine is second to none on giving me the best chance to find what I am looking for on Mozilla's Bugzilla. Sure ain't Bugzilla's own search.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2020-08-10, 09:38

2020-08-10, 09:31
Sure ain't Bugzilla's own search.
Off-topic:
BMO search has always been ass. I'm amazed anyone actually uses it.

I've had decent luck with DDG by prefixing my search with site:bugzilla.mozilla.org, but I I haven't really compared it to Google's results.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-08-18, 21:34

Well, another progress update on Borealis! I have enhanced the functional and visual status of secure connections for the location bar and the security status bar panel. Including displaying of punycode domains.

Too tired to tl;dr the entire thing atm.. But here is a screenshot, enjoy!

6d785671-79a5-4962-ab60-27b05950b26b.jpg

As an aside, any of the relative crazies who actually plan to use Borealis can turn off the Location Bar highlighting with the pref browser.urlbar.highlight.secure just in case the colors are too distracting for you. However, I am not providing any preferences to control the Security Status Bar Panel as I feel this is relevant info that should be there at a glance. After all, it is a STATUS bar.

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by fatboy » 2020-08-19, 13:37

Looking good!
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2020-08-19, 13:59

When Borealis Navigator is publicly released and if there will be a linux version, I'll take it for a "test drive".
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-08-19, 20:38

There will be a Linux version.. GTK2 and 3.

Anyway, I have FINALLY started on the replace/revamp of the Shell Service and NSIS Windows Installer code.. I got the installer working and Shell Service is in and building. Though the FE needs to be adjusted for it. First order of business was Set as Wallpaper.. Which is now fully working and even redesigned somewhat. Check it out.

f5de9bb7-0094-41e6-8c0c-4163e2edc1da.jpg

So I spent about 4 hours on the NSIS Installer, 4 hours on collecting and getting the Shell Service to build, and 4 hours on getting set wallpaper working and redesigned. I think I am done for today.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-08-20, 10:17

So I figured it might be helpful to post an application overview screenshot akin to one of the earliest ones but with all the modifications to date.

9d557faa-6eaa-48fb-85b4-54de1b764d4f.jpg

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2020-08-20, 12:50

So, finally I gave it a try yesterday to see how's the experience. I must say I'm happily surprised with the result. Due to current circumstances, I spend most of my time on Mac now so I had to build it myself as binaries are not available yet for this platform. Honestly, I was hoping for the build to fail but to my surprise it succeeded in the first try (obviously by commenting out "shell" in one of the build files; but it has been fixed by Tobin since then). Also the build took significantly lesser time compared to Pale Moon. Below are some of my observations:
  • Object directory sits at 900 MB. Compare that to 6.5 GB for Pale Moon. Largest component was dom with 220 MB which for Pale Moon is whopping 2.8 GB. WOW!
    I think it has to do with lesser stuff (bloat?) in Borealis and components' inter-dependencies coming into play.
  • I really like the UI and how everything in arranged, very happy to see a lot of useful options in the Settings.
  • One of the things that stands out for me is the Online/Offline indicator in the status bar. It can be toggled with a click. Some extra points for that. Also good to see that settings have an option to disable JavaScript which is not found anywhere else.
  • It may be placebo but I think it was more snappier in general browsing, considering no content was blocked including ads. I felt YouTube to be slightly more responsive.
There is a platform specific thing that the fonts are not crisp. It may have something to do with font rendering and anti-aliasing. The solutions online all talk about Windows font configuration and stuff like that so I couldn't find a way to tell it to display fonts better. Here's a screenshot showing how fonts look on my system:
Screenshot 2020-08-20 at 2.35.39 PM.png
Very happy overall!

Since I do not use a lot of extensions and considering I'm too happy with it UX wise, I think it is a solid contender to be my preferred browser. Let's see.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-08-20, 13:02

adesh wrote:
2020-08-20, 12:50
Since I do not use a lot of extensions
All of mine work on it - PermissionsPlus, PMPlayer, Pure URL, RecordRewind and TextFX :)

Would appreciate feedback on these in case you do use it as a daily driver.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-08-20, 13:03

If you want please see if set wallpaper works on mac.. I am not sure about it since I don't have some of the Phoenix extra bobs so I had to guess on mac specific stuff.. In fact once I get shellservice fully hooked back up it would be great if you tested it for default browser, file assoc.. That shit.

BTW, I can't explain the discrepancy of the objdir size comparison.. Thanks for testing tho!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-08-20, 14:03

I just checked my own objdir with pale moon-unstable, dom is 1.5GB there, of which the largest sub is dom/media at a little over 300 MB. That is on Windows, though, so probably apples and oranges.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite