LInux Pale Moon & Completing eBay Purchases

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

LInux Pale Moon & Completing eBay Purchases

Unread post by Night Wing » 2020-07-30, 14:52

I am using my wife's laptop to make this post. Both of use linux Pale Moon. This is not really a bug in linux Pale Moon. More of user agent sniffing on eBay's part.

Yesterday, my wife had trouble completing a purchase for eBay using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.11.0 running in 64 bit linux Mint 20 (Ulyana) Xfce. She got the "Access Denied" prompt.

In order to complete the purchase, she had to switch over to her secondary browser which (at this time) is 64 bit linux Firefox 78.0.2 since eBay is discriminating against niche browser which eBay thinks Pale Moon is. I told her the next time she wants to make a purchase on eBay, to let me know and I will try to make an over ride user agent for 64 bit linux Pale Moon.

Long story short, my wife has a Watch List and a seller notified her by email she would give her a 27% discount for an item my wife has had her eye on for a long time. I made the over ride for linux Pale Moon and she tried it out.

My wife bought the item and completed the transaction using the codes below for 64 bit linux Pale Moon since I live in Texas in the United States.

The string is below for 64 bit linux Pale Moon for use on eBay to complete transactions for purchases.

Code: Select all

general.useragent.override.pay.ebay.com
And the user agent is next.

Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:79.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/79.0
So if anyone is using 64 bit linux Pale Moon, is having a problem and wants to complete a transaction for eBay, try the codes above.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Baloo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: LInux Pale Moon & Completing eBay Purchases

Unread post by Baloo » 2020-07-31, 00:17

I have had no problem currently with making purchases on eBay in Pale Moon have made many in the past few months. But thanks for this user agent string fix should the issue arise for me. I am using StevePusser's builds.