Ebay reCAPTCHA

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
puppyX
Fanatic
Fanatic

Ebay reCAPTCHA

Unread post by puppyX » 2020-07-28, 11:18

Linux Trisquel, Pale Moon (32bit)
While in my ebay account I clicked to check a couple of account settings regarding my phone number. The recaptcha bot sprang forth and it took 7 or 8 attempts to get to the next level. This has never taken a long time but today was endless clicking of traffic lights and crosswalks (US).

I couldn't tell if this was the browser being targetted or if ebay have changed a code.

I wouldn't be at all suprised if a pop up appeared ordering me to hop on one leg 33 times before being allowed to enter my own account next time.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Ebay reCAPTCHA

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-07-28, 11:19

It's the browser being targeted.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Lunokhod
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Lunokhod » 2020-07-28, 19:46

Today the eBay sell an item and drafts page did not load fully and didn't work. Then I remembered clearing the cache and recent history recently, which can cause this type of problem, so I cleared all the eBay cookies which fixed it. But when I logged in again I was asked for my username, whereas usually eBay knows who I am, and I had to solve a captcha after entering my password. So clearing cookies can trigger captchas it seems.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been...

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2020-07-29, 02:29

Those Google captchas are great! Does a pedestrian signal count as a traffic light? Does that little two pixel signal you can barely see count as a light? Does a vacationer's motor home count as a bus? (yes) That hydrant has one pixel cross over into the next square--do I click it?

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2020-07-29, 04:22

Echoing steve's emotions, I've always felt Google captcha difficult (now I avoid such sites altogether). It is not easy for humans to solve, on top of that equally time consuming and frustrating.

It's designed the other way around.

hidden
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by hidden » 2020-07-29, 05:48

Yesterday I made a purchase and to make the payment through paypal I had to change my browser.

I tried it several times during the day in case it was from Ebay.

I do not know what may have been, Pale Moon never gave me problems but yesterday I did.

99HVYSK
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by 99HVYSK » 2020-07-29, 06:28

hidden wrote:
2020-07-29, 05:48
Yesterday I made a purchase and to make the payment through paypal I had to change my browser.
I tried it several times during the day in case it was from Ebay.
I do not know what may have been, Pale Moon never gave me problems but yesterday I did.
try to override UA for ebay. viewtopic.php?f=29&t=24827#p194861
Pale Moon v29, pentadactyl, eMatrix, Arch Linux, twelve years old ThinkPad X200

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2020-07-29, 08:31

I have been getting their own version of a "captcha" every time I login for months. I only had a Google captcha once. Thankfully their own captcha or what ever company they are using is just a puzzle piece you slide into position. But, I may be suspect to them as being a bot since I have certain things set in the browser that would indicate perhaps that's the case. Sure as shit I'm not changing my privacy settings to satisfy a company.

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2020-07-29, 12:10

John connor wrote:
2020-07-29, 08:31
I have been getting their own version of a "captcha" every time I login for months.
If you're using EasyPrivacy, it happens because it blocks this script:

Code: Select all

https://www.ebay.com/nkfytkqtoxtljvzb.js
The captcha that we have to solve is very simple, and personally I find it reasuring, knowing that at least one small part of their nasty tracking schemes has failed! :)

BTW; eBay even runs a port scan, if you allow them to!:
https://www.ghacks.net/2020/05/25/ebay- ... e-webpage/

Lunokhod
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Lunokhod » 2020-07-29, 13:56

stevepusser wrote:
2020-07-29, 02:29
Those Google captchas are great! Does a pedestrian signal count as a traffic light? Does that little two pixel signal you can barely see count as a light? Does a vacationer's motor home count as a bus? (yes) That hydrant has one pixel cross over into the next square--do I click it?
Having also noted captcha logic vs precise intepretation of the question, I wonder if they are asking you to prove you are human not by getting it right, but by getting it slightly wrong - it checks for human error in your response. :)
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-07-29, 15:02

Tomaso wrote:
2020-07-29, 12:10
Can you please stop mislabeling what they do? They are not portscanning in the normal sense of the term (which would be scanning ports from remote servers to your system, and that is considered bad behavior by most standards because it would be intrusion attempts). What they do is they check (if they have reason to suspect issues) is if you locally have things listening on ports that are dedicated to remote control and could be an indicator of a compromised system.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tomaso » 2020-07-29, 15:28

Moonchild wrote:
2020-07-29, 15:02
What they do is they check (if they have reason to suspect issues) is if you locally have things listening on ports that are dedicated to remote control and could be an indicator of a compromised system.
This is pointed out in the article, which I linked to.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-07-29, 16:18

'port scan' generally refers to scanning another host on the network, not your own. The headline makes it sound as though ebay.com is running a port scan on your computer when it's a locally downloaded script that attempts opening sockets on select suspicious ports on localhost.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-07-29, 17:29

Tomaso wrote:
2020-07-29, 15:28
This is pointed out in the article, which I linked to.
But still calling it a portscan.
NO it is NOT. the article is wrong. You repeating the article error is also wrong. And I'm pretty sure you are active enough on this forum to have already seen the previous discussion on the topic, where it was also pointed out that it's wrong.

So you should know better than to just ape it.

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2020-07-30, 09:38

Tomaso wrote:
John connor wrote:
2020-07-29, 08:31
I have been getting their own version of a "captcha" every time I login for months.
If you're using EasyPrivacy, it happens because it blocks this script:

Code: Select all

https://www.ebay.com/nkfytkqtoxtljvzb.js
The captcha that we have to solve is very simple, and personally I find it reasuring, knowing that at least one small part of their nasty tracking schemes has failed! :)
Yep, I am in fact using EasyPrivacy. Could have swore I disabled those filters in an effort to mitigate website breakage. Oh well, URL whitelisted. We shall see if this fixes the need to solve a captcha.
Tomaso wrote:
Know all about it. I made a topic about this in the Off Topic subforum some time back.

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2020-07-30, 09:42

Lunokhod wrote:
2020-07-29, 13:56
stevepusser wrote:
2020-07-29, 02:29
Having also noted captcha logic vs precise intepretation of the question, I wonder if they are asking you to prove you are human not by getting it right, but by getting it slightly wrong - it checks for human error in your response. :)
:D I like your Sigmund Freud like thinking. :lol:

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2020-07-30, 09:55

About the "port scan" crap. I'm personally not in the businesses nor do I own stock in the semantics department. Whether it can be defined as an actual port scan as it pertains to Nmap or Zenmap, etc, the fact is the website checks for open ports, i.e a "port scan" so to speak.

As to whether I agree with its intended purpose or not, I'll just quote ol' horny Ben Franklin instead and let you make up your mind. "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Now I already know the context of the quote as it pertains to taxes, but my use here is to make a point.

All websites should check for open ports anyway. After all, Windows 10 is already up the populace's ass anyway, right?
Last edited by John connor on 2020-07-30, 09:57, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-07-30, 09:57

You can't redefine established terminology as you see fit for your particular use of the day.
It's not a port scan. period.
You don't have to own stock in the semantics department to understand that some words mean specific things and not something else. If that's too difficult for you then you shall henceforth be a banana.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-07-30, 09:59

Off-topic:
Moonchild wrote:
2020-07-30, 09:57
You don't have to own stock in the semantics department to understand that some words mean specific things and not something else. If that's too difficult for you then you shall henceforth be a banana.
That would mean he is under my authority since I am the Master Banana!

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2020-07-30, 09:59

Moonchild wrote:
2020-07-30, 09:57
If that's too difficult for you then you shall henceforth be a banana.
Well that sucks because bananas are on the extinction list. :lol:

tenor.gif
tenor.gif (34.16 KiB) Viewed 754 times