The Official Interlink Mail & News Discussion Thread

Former board for discussion of BinOC Applications and Extensions using the Unified XUL Platform.
For historical reference.

Moderator: athenian200

Forum rules
If you are interested in forking any BinOC project and want to coordinate such an effort through the forum, please use viewforum.php?f=69
Attronarch
Moonbather
Moonbather

Re: The Official Interlink Mail & News Discussion Thread

Unread post by Attronarch » 2020-07-17, 17:01

I've been using Interlink Mail & News client for seven months now, and it works perfectly.

In some regards it's faster than Thunderbird (e.g. yearly view in calendar).

New Tobin Paradigm, thank you for all the great work.

racorbin2010

Unread post by racorbin2010 » 2020-07-18, 15:57

I have been frozen at Thunderbird 52.9.1 for a LONG time. A gentleman on the ghacks forum recommended I try Interlink, which I did. It was very impressive and I would love to switch over, but I was stopped cold because: One of my absolute required extensions (Manually Sort Folders), while installable in Interlink, doesn't work properly in one aspect. I need Local Folders to be at the top of the list on the left panel. There may be other issues, but that stopped me cold. At some release later than my Thunderbird version 52.9.1 that part of the extension stopped working (and the author of the extension admitted as much and apparently had no plans to investigate).

I went no further and sadly went back to Thunderbird.

This absolutely not a complaint or a criticism. Interlink appears to be a wonderful product; it just doesn't meet my particular needs. And I cannot criticize the author of Manually Sort Folders because he got tired of coding to a changing target. I suppose it is Mozilla that deserves the criticism for what it did to both Firefox and Thunderbird. (I switched to Pale Moon years ago and never looked back.)

Attronarch
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Attronarch » 2020-07-18, 17:46

Have you tried with Manually sort folders 1.1.1? That's the one I have and it works perfectly fine.

racorbin2010

Unread post by racorbin2010 » 2020-07-20, 19:14

Attronarch,

I have tried for over an hour to get the Local Folders to be the Top account before my three email account. Can you do that? Or is it something I have hosed up in my Interlink configuration? Thanks in advance. Richard

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-07-20, 19:41

From behavior it seems that selecting the First account in the folder pane will not work if it is Local Folders. Local Folders can't BE the default account and Local Folders them selves isn't an account.. Not really. It may be fall out from a series of patches that basically made Interlink not fail without a default account. I don't know. Does it work on Thunderbird 52?

In any event, this extension seems like it really needs to be updated to target Interlink specifically AND it WILL stop working in the future as it uses ancient "STEEL" code. Which is first bullshit attempt by Mozilla to make extension building "easier" which Thunderbird copied. This is slated for removal.

racorbin2010

Unread post by racorbin2010 » 2020-07-20, 23:11

Mr. Tobin,

Thanks for quick response. It works in Thunderbird 52.9.1, even though Local isn't really an account as you correctly state. A pox on Mozilla. Thanks again!

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-07-20, 23:17

I cannot promise anything but I will look into seeing if I can make Local Folders always be the first item in the tree maybe by pref.

Old school tree items can be tricky.

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2020-07-21, 15:02

... been using Interlink Mail & News client for seven months now, and it works perfectly. New Tobin Paradigm, thank you for all the great work.
Seconded! Big fan here.

bawldiggle
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by bawldiggle » 2020-07-23, 10:39

What is the maximum size of an attachement I can send ?
I have about 30 MB of various files to send (.zip)
Or is it more complicated than that, I have considered TinyUrls
New experience for me

Thank you :)
Win-7 PRO 64-bit
Palemoon; auto updates current version (32-bit)

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2020-07-23, 11:01

bawldiggle wrote:
2020-07-23, 10:39
What is the maximum size of an attachement I can send ?
I have about 30 MB of various files to send (.zip)
Or is it more complicated than that, I have considered TinyUrls
New experience for me

Thank you :)
I assume that this would be dictated by the sending and receiving servers, available memory and bandwidth, etc., not Interlink. It would be like if Pale Moon limited the size of files you could download from a server - it doesn't, because the server should handle that.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

racorbin2010

Unread post by racorbin2010 » 2020-07-25, 19:22

Mr. Tobin, Per your comment that you might look into giving an option of making Local Folders the top "account" in the Account Panel, I understand that this is no commitment of any sort, and I appreciate very much that when/if you get time, you will look into it. I only ask that if you do, you post a notice here or wherever appropriate, so I can switch from Thunderbird to Interlink.

On another blog I have found out that Mozilla has started making political statements. Whether I agree or disagree with the statements is irrelevant, the fact is that I find it outrageous for them to do so. Long ago I have dropped Firefox for Pale Moon because of other reasons, but I have another reason now to sever any usage of Mozilla's products (viz. Thunderbird) and as far as I can tell the Local Folder issue is the only issue remaining preventing my switching.

Thanks again, Richard (racorbin2010@vivaldi.net is my preferred email these days).

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-07-25, 19:28

I am not apolitical by any means but that hardly affects my software, site, or services.. Or maybe it does.. But then again, if it does it must be appealing to some people as it facilitates them being able to continue to have what they want. So I dunno.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-07-26, 03:24

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-07-25, 19:28
I am not apolitical by any means but that hardly affects my software, site, or services.. Or maybe it does.. But then again, if it does it must be appealing to some people as it facilitates them being able to continue to have what they want. So I dunno.
Off-topic:
Software ought to be seen for what it is - a tool. Yet now we have progressives infiltrating many popular open source projects either pushing their irrelevant diversity/inclusivity crap over plain competence in programming, or trying to dictate what users can and cannot do with their software.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-07-27, 23:23

racorbin2010 wrote:
2020-07-25, 19:22
Mr. Tobin, Per your comment that you might look into giving an option of making Local Folders the top "account" in the Account Panel, I understand that this is no commitment of any sort, and I appreciate very much that when/if you get time, you will look into it. I only ask that if you do, you post a notice here or wherever appropriate, so I can switch from Thunderbird to Interlink.
Check these commits out... Will be in the next version of Interlink.. Of course, while this technologically obsoletes the extension, there of course is no UI. I can't integrate code form the extension due to licensing conflicts.. Also, of course to fully take effect a restart of the application will be required.

https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/UXP/commit/39be34c06f9dc980a7ea11576365733fb83c342c
https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/UXP/commit/9ac440aa71abf4357acea2efee1a26904468ea62
https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/UXP/commit/15ed0691f6fe6e558c7e733af9fca0586c4d554b

e9e78c84-42f7-4d98-9d56-9d4591fe91a0.jpg

R3n_001
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by R3n_001 » 2020-07-28, 06:56

I wish this had a dark theme. I can't find any dark themes on the Interlink addons site, and I tried force installing Dark Moon from Pale Moon, since most of the themes looked like Pale Moon ports, but it didn't install.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-07-28, 07:27

Of course it wouldn't. Please learn a thing or two about themes before you post again.

Trapper
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trapper » 2020-07-28, 16:11

R3n_001 wrote:
2020-07-28, 06:56
I wish this had a dark theme. I can't find any dark themes on the Interlink addons site
TT DeepDark theme works for me.

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=22240&start=100#p182533

racorbin2010

Unread post by racorbin2010 » 2020-07-28, 17:39

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-07-27, 23:23
racorbin2010 wrote:
2020-07-25, 19:22
Check these commits out... Will be in the next version of Interlink.. Of course, while this technologically obsoletes the extension, there of course is no UI. I can't integrate code form the extension due to licensing conflicts.. Also, of course to fully take effect a restart of the application will be required.

https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/UXP/commit/39be34c06f9dc980a7ea11576365733fb83c342c
https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/UXP/commit/9ac440aa71abf4357acea2efee1a26904468ea62
https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/UXP/commit/15ed0691f6fe6e558c7e733af9fca0586c4d554b

e9e78c84-42f7-4d98-9d56-9d4591fe91a0.jpg
Mr. Tobin,

Many thanks!! I am embarrassed to tell you that I haven't a clue how to use these links to try out what you have so kindly done. And you don't need to waste your time giving me a tutorial on how to utilize the links; it is my issue, not yours. I am perfectly willing to wait until the next release. Meantime, I have been using Interlink as a replacement for Thunderbird for about three days, living with the Manually Sort Folders issue. All my other old extensions seem to work perfectly, one or two with minuscule tweaks.

So I am very pleased!

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-07-28, 18:10

They are just the changes that were made to make it possible.

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2020-07-30, 18:32

What setting or Add-on can be used to standardize the default font size for displaying HTML-formatted email messages? This applies to both the Preview pane and the Message window.

The variety of font sizes specified in different messages means - to make reading useful, I need to keep the Zoom In/Out keystrokes at the ready. The problem with this is, the zoom setting persists when navigating from one message to another; it does not auto-reset to a default when moving to the next message. Manually re-zooming on even a few messages prevents the reading session from settling in to a flow state. This situation was somehow not a problem under Thunderbird 64 through 66.

Edit -> Preferences -> Display -> Formatting -> Default Font Size does yes seem to affect the displayed font size when View -> Message Body As is set to Plain Text... but then HTML messages become unreadable. Not sure if it affects the size when View -> Message Body As is set to Original HTML, because the formatting tags in the HTML override it so easily and strongly.

When heavily-formatted messages are zoomed in to large enough for comfortable reading, lightly-formatted messages are displayed too big.
When lightly-formatted messages are zoomed out to small enough , heavily-formatted messages are displayed too small.

Thus the wish to override the "base/default" font size in heavily-formatted messages, so that they preserve their internal relative fontsize changes, but are still displayed with basically the same overall font size as lightly-formatted messages. Any suggestions?