Flash Plug-in

Add-ons for Pale Moon and other applications
General discussion, compatibility, contributed extensions, themes, plugins, and more.

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Satai Delenn
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Re: Flash Plug-in

Unread post by Satai Delenn » 2020-07-24, 02:21

OK, thank you. There were two folders which came out of that. One is the debugger thing. You said to not use that. So, if I ever need the flashplayer again, I want the other one? Otherwise, I can just leave them there since my flash player is currently working perfectly fine? And do I just delete the debugger folder?

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2020-07-24, 03:41

Satai Delenn wrote:
2020-07-24, 02:21
There were two folders which came out of that. One is the debugger thing. You said to not use that. So, if I ever need the flashplayer again, I want the other one?
Correct.

Btw, I suggest that you save the .zip folder itself, because at the end of the year Adobe will likely take them down.

Satai Delenn
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Satai Delenn » 2020-07-24, 07:50

coffeebreak wrote:
2020-07-24, 03:41
Satai Delenn wrote:
2020-07-24, 02:21
There were two folders which came out of that. One is the debugger thing. You said to not use that. So, if I ever need the flashplayer again, I want the other one?
Correct.

Btw, I suggest that you save the .zip folder itself, because at the end of the year Adobe will likely take them down.
Yeah, the zip folder is in my download folder so I was just going to leave it there. Will I ever need the debugger thing?

And thank you for your help!

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2020-07-24, 08:00

Satai Delenn wrote:
2020-07-24, 07:50
Will I ever need the debugger thing?
Probably not.
But if for some reason in future you want it, you can always extract the files from the zipped folder again to get a copy.

Off-topic:
BTW, please be aware that it's not necessary (or desired) to quote entire posts. You can just select the part of a post that is relevant, then click the quote marks in the upper right corner of that post to quote only what was selected.

Clasof56
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Re: Flash Plug-in - gone

Unread post by Clasof56 » 2020-09-27, 13:41

just checked the adobe site and the flash player archive is gone.
The Flash Player archive page has been decommissioned. Customers requiring Flash Player can visit our download page for the latest available version

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Flash Plug-in - gone

Unread post by Tharthan » 2020-09-27, 14:47

Clasof56 wrote:
2020-09-27, 13:41
Customers requiring Flash Player can visit our download page for the latest available version
'...which we will soon also be discontinuing.'

Remember, everyone: only you can stop company strongarming.

If people in general refused to put up with companies strongarming them like this, there would be a whole lot less strongarming.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-09-28, 01:08

Tharthan wrote:
2020-09-27, 14:47
Remember, everyone: only you can stop company strongarming.

If people in general refused to put up with companies strongarming them like this, there would be a whole lot less strongarming.
How? Your choices are exactly restricted to take it or leave it. Companies just continue to do as they please. Not like there is any alternative to Flash if you didn't already download and save a backup of the software before they get rid of it.

The vast majority of passive sheep will just use whatever is given, which is how Google got to take over the net in the first place. Nobody gives a crap about privacy or open standards as long as they can keep swiping on their phones.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2020-09-28, 03:08

moonbat wrote:
2020-09-28, 01:08
How?
One can be assured that nothing will change if one doesn't push back against strongarming tactics. If enough other people also push back, there is a chance (however slim) that something might change.

But if one does nothing, one can be more or less assured that nothing will change.
moonbat wrote:
2020-09-28, 01:08
The vast majority of passive sheep will just use whatever is given
And that is the largest element of the problem. Hence why I said:
Tharthan wrote:
2020-09-27, 14:47
If people in general refused to put up with companies strongarming
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-09-28, 03:59

I was literally asking how you plan to 'strongarm' a business that's the exclusive provider of what you want - write a change.org petition that nobody bothers about anyway? It's not like you can hold the CEO at gunpoint and make him reverse the decision.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2020-09-28, 04:22

Keep in mind that this would require people in general to be on board with this, not just some small group somewhere:

I was thinking that a combination of sending them angry e-mails (related to the matter, of course. Not just random angry e-mails), people calling the company offices and leave messages detailing similar information as the e-mails, people who might have media jobs could write negative opinion pieces on the company, calling them out for their bad practices. If the executives happen to take media questions on something or another that the company is doing, those with media jobs could throw out a question like "Given all of the backlash that you have received after your decision to discontinue and stop distribution of Adobe Flash Player, are you considering opening up the ability for Adobe Flash Player to be downloaded legitimately again in the future?", people could threaten to boycott Adobe products (and actually boycott them if they still ignore the concerns of their users), etc.

And, yes. Tacking on a change.org petition wouldn't hurt either. Though that isn't anywhere near the first thing that comes to mind when I thing of pushing back against strongarming.

It is not in any way guaranteed to work, but it at least creates the possibility that there might be less strongarming by that company.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-09-28, 05:09

Tharthan wrote:
2020-09-28, 04:22
Keep in mind that this would require people in general to be on board with this, not just some small group somewhere:
That never happens where any such online cause is concerned.
Regarding Flash, they've probably already retired whatever was used to author content for it (which was what people paid for), so they really don't care about a plugin that was anyway free to use.
It isn't open source either that one could fork it and continue, so we're stuck with holding onto our older saved copies of the installer for as long as possible.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-09-28, 09:41

moonbat wrote:
2020-09-28, 05:09
It isn't open source either that one could fork it and continue
It really should be made Open Source. If Adobe really doesn't care about continuing support for Flash and effectively is going to deny access to decades of creative material to users, then that would be the correct thing to do out of respect for the creators who have made them rich. They wouldn't exist in their current state without the creators paying for Flash authoring tools. The least they can do is make sure that the creative content can be enjoyed by those to come.

If I had enough clout I'd try and push this idea, but I don't.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-09-29, 06:40

They never do - even Winamp would be an excellent candidate for being open sourced since it was discontinued in 2013, but no.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-09-29, 09:29

IMHO there's a difference if there are plenty alternatives out there to display the creative content (like MP3s). In the case of Flash, there aren't, which makes it quite a special case being the only way to fully display it as-intended.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

brokenweb

Unread post by brokenweb » 2020-11-01, 15:29

How do I install the Flash Plugin on a Linux system like Mint? I had downloaded copies of the player myself, but I'm not sure what the next step is and I can't quite figure it out on my own...

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2020-11-13, 10:35

Code: Select all

sudo apt install flashplugin-installer
should work for Ubuntu and I also think that will work on Mint.
What distribution do you use?
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2020-11-13, 12:42

There are websites which I visit everyday and some of them needed Flash to work properly. Now, all of them have quit using Flash.

But when I needed to install Flash for those websites in the past and since the newest version of Mint 20 does not install Flash by default in the distro I did not use the command line linux Terminal to install Flash. I used the Synaptic Package Manager. All I did was use the Search function in the SPM to find Flash in the Mint repository and the SPM did the installing of Flash for me.

In other words, the linux Terminal is "not" the only way to install programs in some linux distros. To make my point, when I was using linux Teamviewer, the creators of Teamviewer made a .deb file for TV. And when I needed to install the newest version of TV in Mint, since I'm no fan of the linux Terminal and Mint is a fork of Ubuntu, I used the Gdebi Package Installer, which is a default program in Mint when one installs Mint to their hard drive, to install TV for me.

And if I have to uninstall programs I no longer need, I use the Synaptic Package Manager to do that also and not the Terminal.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

brokenweb

Unread post by brokenweb » 2020-11-18, 00:22

Pentium4User wrote:
2020-11-13, 10:35

Code: Select all

sudo apt install flashplugin-installer
should work for Ubuntu and I also think that will work on Mint.
No good. There are multiple 404 errors attempting that method and it won't install. apt install/apt-get is an idiotic installation method regardless since it's dependent on being able to connect to whatever online server you need the packages and other such tat from. I have the .so file downloaded locally so if there's a method that doesn't necessitate outside connections that would be preferable.
What distribution do you use?
Mint 19 for the machine I want to put it on, but I'm somewhat of a distro hopper because all Linux distros are terrible in one way or another. Everything is either a diet botnet or is totally impenetrable to laymen.
Night Wing wrote:
2020-11-13, 12:42
I used the Synaptic Package Manager. All I did was use the Search function in the SPM to find Flash in the Mint repository and the SPM did the installing of Flash for me.
Also no good. Same 404 errors, just in a tidy GUI format.

I also tried looking for both the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and /usr/lib/nsbrowser/plugins filepaths to copy the .so file into but Mint 19 has neither of those. Now what?

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2020-11-18, 05:21

Then please show the full output of the apt command you ran.
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

arkaland
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by arkaland » 2020-11-18, 17:50

:thumbup: brokenweb,
If your Debian-type package manager can't (or won't) do the job for you, you can simply install it yourself. Just make yourself "root" and use your file manager to create the directories you need -- or, if you prefer, use 'mkdir' in the terminal to create them. Then, copy over the file(s) you need into the appropriate directories you just created, making sure the .so file is executable. Pale Moon will detect the plug-in and you can enable it in the browser itself.