Delayed Scrolling

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
greyowl

Delayed Scrolling

Unread post by greyowl » 2020-07-22, 02:15

I am running antiX 17 and the current version of PM.

When I open a webpage, the scrolling is delayed for several seconds after the webpage is fully open. I move the scrolling wheel on the mouse but nothing happens. This does not happen with other browsers, but has been happening with PM for some time now.

Is there a way of fixing this?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Delayed Scrolling

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-07-22, 03:05

Try turning off smooth scrolling if it's on, under Preferences, Advanced, Scrolling.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

hunghung

Unread post by hunghung » 2020-07-22, 05:08

Could this be related to my issue?

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=24834

Try turn off HW acceleration.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-07-22, 09:25

If you've turned off HWA already due to other problems, then smooth scrolling may also be impacted. Turn both on and off together and see if it makes a difference either way.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2020-07-22, 11:25

I do not have any delayed scrolling problems when I'm using, at this time, 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.11.0 running in 64 bit linux Mint 20 (Ulyana) Xfce. The user agent mode is Firefox Compatibility.

In my settings, I have Hardware Acceleration turned off, but I have Smooth Scrolling turned on.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

greyowl

Unread post by greyowl » 2020-07-22, 19:54

Thank you for the suggestions.
I experimented with every combination of HWA and Smooth Scrolling,
It had no effect on the problem.
As I mentioned, the problem started a few months ago. Before that the scrolling was fine. My settings have been SS on and HWA off.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2020-07-23, 05:46

Is that the version from the antiX repos or from Pale Moon?

greyowl

Unread post by greyowl » 2020-07-23, 11:48

stevepusser wrote:
2020-07-23, 05:46
Is that the version from the antiX repos or from Pale Moon?
It was installed with PM Installer, ie "pminstaller.sh", back when it was available.
I just checked Synaptic Package Manager and antiX Package Installer and neither are showing that PM is installed.
When I update PM, I use the updater within PM.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2020-07-23, 12:48

FWIW, I do not use the adapter within Pale Moon to update.

I manually (uninstall/install) linux Pale Moon every time Pale Moon updates to a new version. I've been doing it this way since linux Pale Moon was first released way back in January of 2014 and I've never experienced any problems with linux Pale Moon.

The above is just food for thought.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox