Compile Pale Moon from source - failed to ./mach package Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
gh_origin

Compile Pale Moon from source - failed to ./mach package

Unread post by gh_origin » 2020-07-12, 08:23

Traceback:

Code: Select all

0:01.27 Traceback (most recent call last):
 0:01.27   File "/data/VirtualBox/platform/toolkit/mozapps/installer/packager.py", line 416, in <module>
 0:01.27     main()
 0:01.27   File "/data/VirtualBox/platform/toolkit/mozapps/installer/packager.py", line 410, in main
 0:01.27     args.source, gre_path, base)
 0:01.27   File "/data/VirtualBox/platform/toolkit/mozapps/installer/packager.py", line 166, in precompile_cache
 0:01.27     errors.fatal('Error while running startup cache precompilation')
 0:01.27   File "/data/VirtualBox/platform/python/mozbuild/mozpack/errors.py", line 103, in fatal
 0:01.27     self._handle(self.FATAL, msg)
 0:01.27   File "/data/VirtualBox/platform/python/mozbuild/mozpack/errors.py", line 98, in _handle
 0:01.27     raise ErrorMessage(msg)
 0:01.27 mozpack.errors.ErrorMessage: Error: Error while running startup cache precompilation
 0:01.29 make[2]: *** [/data/VirtualBox/platform/toolkit/mozapps/installer/packager.mk:41: stage-package] Error 1
 0:01.29 make[2]: Leaving directory '/data/VirtualBox/obj-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/palemoon/installer'
 0:01.29 make[1]: *** [/data/VirtualBox/platform/toolkit/mozapps/installer/packager-uxp.mk:16: make-archive] Error 2
 0:01.29 make[1]: Leaving directory '/data/VirtualBox/obj-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/palemoon/installer'
 0:01.29 make: *** [/data/VirtualBox/platform/../palemoon/build.mk:9: package] Error 2
 0:01.29 make: Leaving directory '/data/VirtualBox/obj-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu'
This time I tried to compile Pale Moon with Clang 9. The compilation went smoothly with CC='clang' CXX='clang++' ./mach build but CC='clang' CXX='clang++' ./mach package failed with this.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Compile Pale Moon from source - failed to ./mach package

Unread post by adesh » 2020-07-12, 08:27

You forgot to include the actual error message in your code post. Also, probably you'd need to provide more details about your setup environment.

Btw, it was very hard to figure out what you were asking because of the way you've worded it.
Last edited by adesh on 2020-07-12, 08:29, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-07-12, 08:28

Just stop. We don't support clang as a compiler for anything other than OS X on a technical level. Indeed we don't support people compiling at all on a policy level. The policy is you are on your own and we aren't likely to help you.

I don't even understand why you aren't just using the binaries provided.

EDIT: Adesh, the error is that the startupcache compilation failed which means xpcshell failed which means his binaries failed because he is using an invalid compiler on Linux.

tl;dr morons should not try and compile UXP applications.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2020-07-12, 08:31

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-07-12, 08:28
EDIT: Adesh, the error is that the startupcache compilation failed which means xpcshell failed which means his binaries failed because he is using an invalid compiler on Linux. tl;dr morons should not try and compile UXP applications.
Off-topic:
Yeah. Thanks! I figured it myself a minute after posting it. I was kind of in hurry.

gh_origin

Unread post by gh_origin » 2020-07-12, 11:43

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-07-12, 08:28
Just stop. We don't support clang as a compiler for anything other than OS X on a technical level. Indeed we don't support people compiling at all on a policy level. The policy is you are on your own and we aren't likely to help you.
I don't know about that. Sorry. I only know Mozilla uses Clang for their Linux builds by default. So I tried to see if there is any benefits of using Clang over GCC. This is not the first time I compiled Pale Moon, though. The Pale Moon I'm using to post this post is compiled on this machine with GCC 9.3. But it's the first time I tried to compile Pale Moon with Clang.

I don't have any CS background so I don't know about stuffs like LTO, ThinLTO, PGO,... that phoronix usually posts when comparing Firefox's Clang builds vs GCC builds. Don't know if Pale Moon currently use these stuffs or not, or how it could improve the performance.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-07-12, 11:58

You could take the time to read our project's information before you try to compile. We state what our expected compile environments are.
We are not Mozilla
We don't care that Mozilla has moved to clang-everywhere (including Windows)

Please stop treating this project as if it's a rebuild of Firefox. Forget what you think you know.
Start here: https://developer.palemoon.org/build/linux/
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

gh_origin

Unread post by gh_origin » 2020-07-12, 12:12

Moonchild wrote:
2020-07-12, 11:58
Please stop treating this project as if it's a rebuild of Firefox. Forget what you think you know.
Start here: https://developer.palemoon.org/build/linux/
This is the very guide I used to build the Pale Moon I'm currently using to type these texts!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-07-12, 12:17

Does prerequisites list anything but GCC? no.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

loser

Unread post by loser » 2020-07-15, 16:45

Moonchild wrote:
2020-07-12, 12:17
Does prerequisites list anything but GCC? no.
As people have used GCC and Clang interchangeable. Clang was designed as a drop in replacement for GCC. So, unless explicitly stated, that Clang is not supported, it's implicitly understood that the guide for GCC also works for Clang, just replace gcc with clang and g++ with clang++. This is true for all of the projects I have encountered. But this caused the unnecessary trouble for me here. Please edit your guide and explicitly state that Clang is not supported, to prevent other to encounter the same trouble as me.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-07-16, 01:09

loser wrote:
2020-07-15, 16:45
Clang was designed as a drop in replacement for GCC.
Well, hate to break it to the people thinking it, but it isn't. So their design failed.