How to emulate Firefox's behavior with Youtube on Pale Moon? Topic is solved

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
gh_origin

How to emulate Firefox's behavior with Youtube on Pale Moon?

Unread post by gh_origin » 2020-07-05, 12:46

I posted here since I'm using Pale Moon for Linux.

I always opened all of the videos I want to watch in background tabs and Firefox doesn't load them until I clicked on them, thanks to it multiprocess ability. But on Pale Moon when opened in background tabs, all of the videos started to play. Since they all played at the same time, I have to go to each tabs to stop the video playback myself. It's very inconvenient. So I found a workaround using Lull The Tabs to force unload of all background tabs. It's worked but also inconvenient, too. Since I only want this behavior to apply with Youtube but not other sites, I asked the author to add blacklist feature: https://github.com/JustOff/lull-the-tabs/issues/12

He said it's a specific use case and he will not add it soon. So currently I only turned Lull The Tabs on when visiting Youtube and disable it when using other sites. Very fortunate for me, Lull The Tabs doesn't need to be restarted to disable/enable. But it's still a bit inconvenient. Is there any other solutions/workarounds I could use to archive the same behavior? Thanks.
Last edited by gh_origin on 2020-07-05, 13:10, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: How to emulate Firefox's multiprocess behavior with Youtube on Pale Moon?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-07-05, 12:51

gh_origin wrote:
2020-07-05, 12:46
Firefox doesn't load them until I clicked on them, thanks to it multiprocess ability.
Totally wrong assumption. That has nothing to do at all with e10s.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

gh_origin

Re: How to emulate Firefox's multiprocess behavior with Youtube on Pale Moon?

Unread post by gh_origin » 2020-07-05, 13:05

Moonchild wrote:
2020-07-05, 12:51
gh_origin wrote:
2020-07-05, 12:46
Firefox doesn't load them until I clicked on them, thanks to it multiprocess ability.
Totally wrong assumption. That has nothing to do at all with e10s.
I'm not sure. But at least Firefox doesn't start the video playback at all until I opened the tab and clicked to start it. Pale Moon on the other hand start the video playback immediately after the background tab was opened without having to be activated by clicking on it.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: How to emulate Firefox's behavior with Youtube on Pale Moon?

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-07-05, 13:13

Open about:config in a new tab, accept the warning, and change media.autoplay.enabled to false. If that doesn't work, install Youtube Lazy Load.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

gh_origin

Unread post by gh_origin » 2020-07-05, 13:22

moonbat wrote:
2020-07-05, 13:13
Open about:config in a new tab, accept the warning, and change media.autoplay.enabled to false. If that doesn't work, install Youtube Lazy Load.
The about:config hack worked but buggy. The video will keep loading without being played but if we clicked on it to start the playback, it will not start. You have to click the play button two more times (to turn playback of then turn it on again) to have it actually started the video playback.

The extension developer clearly stated that it doesn't work with modern Youtube layout, that I'm currently using.

So, none of them are really the solution at all.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2020-07-05, 20:29

gh_origin wrote:
2020-07-05, 13:22
The about:config hack worked but buggy.
Try the following setting - it disables video autoplay in background tabs, but retains autoplay for the currently selected tab...
about:config ->
Set media.block-autoplay-until-in-foreground to true

(in conjunction, reset media.autoplay.enabled to its default, true)

Btw... A more accurate and informative topic title IMO would be something like: "How to prevent YouTube videos from autoplaying in background tabs".

gh_origin

Unread post by gh_origin » 2020-07-06, 10:25

coffeebreak wrote:
2020-07-05, 20:29
gh_origin wrote:
2020-07-05, 13:22
The about:config hack worked but buggy.
Try the following setting - it disables video autoplay in background tabs, but retains autoplay for the currently selected tab...
about:config ->
Set media.block-autoplay-until-in-foreground to true

(in conjunction, reset media.autoplay.enabled to its default, true)

Btw... A more accurate and informative topic title IMO would be something like: "How to prevent YouTube videos from autoplaying in background tabs".
Your solution is perfect.