PepperFlashPlayer for Pale Moon in Linux

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Baloo
Fanatic
Fanatic

PepperFlashPlayer for Pale Moon in Linux

Unread post by Baloo » 2020-06-27, 16:58

Hello,

Just wanted to see if anyone knew how to install PepperFlashPlayer for Linux in Pale Moon. I stumbled across this old thread here: viewtopic.php?t=13355

I built the file by source using the instructions here: https://wiki.debian.org/Freshplayerplugin. File seemed to build successfully, I ended up with the "libfreshwrapper-flashplayer.so" file in the folder as required.

I then placed that file in the lib/palemoon/browser/plugins folder. Now, while Pale Moon does recognize the Flash Player plugin as version 0.0.0.0, I cannot seem to get it to function properly compared to the downloadable file from Adobe, which supposedly has an EOL of December of this year. Adobe's "libflashplayer.so" file in the same plugins folder works fine. Does anyone have any tips as to what I may be doing wrong as to where I am placing this file? Or am I missing some other files alongside "libfreshwrapper-flashplayer.so" to ensure that it functions in Pale Moon for Linux?

Here is what I'm getting with PepperFlashPlayer in Pale Moon for Linux: Image

And here is of course the Adobe Flash Player plugin working fine on the same test page: Image

Thank you.
Last edited by Baloo on 2020-06-27, 17:04, edited 1 time in total.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: PepperFlashPlayer for Pale Moon in Linux

Unread post by Moonraker » 2020-06-27, 17:02

I use the ordinary NPAPI plugin available from most repos or the adobe site and it works perfectly.i see no reason to use the pepper plugin. :)
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-06-27, 17:40

When Flash dies it will die across the board so I see no reason to even bother at this point.

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2020-06-27, 17:51

I experienced sound lagging with normal Flash Player on Linux, even with the standalone version from adobe and also in SeaMonkey.
Also on different systems, all with Ubuntu from 17.04 to 20.04.
With the pepper-based one no problems, I used Freshplayer-Wrapper.
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

Baloo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Baloo » 2020-06-27, 18:11

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-06-27, 17:40
When Flash dies it will die across the board so I see no reason to even bother at this point.
That was the only reason I was seeing if Pepper worked, unless basically the same thing will happen with Pepper too where it is programmed to simply not execute after December of this year.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2020-06-28, 03:31

Neither PPAPI or NPAPI Flash contain a time bomb in the code that will make them stop working after 2020--they simply will not be supported with security updates any longer, and most websites will move away from it in response. Any site that still demands it should be shunned.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-06-28, 04:12

Obviously, but my point is that since npapi flash for linux never stopped like it was supposed to back like 3-4 years ago and the general death of flash in any form there is little point to pursue that npapi to ppapi stuff in this day and age.

stevenpusser
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by stevenpusser » 2020-06-29, 05:13

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-06-28, 04:12
Obviously, but my point is that since npapi flash for linux never stopped like it was supposed to back like 3-4 years ago and the general death of flash in any form there is little point to pursue that npapi to ppapi stuff in this day and age.
True that! Seems like classic XY problem here. Watch out that Pale Moon doesn't end up farpotshket as a result!

Baloo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Baloo » 2020-06-29, 07:51

Well, thanks for this info folks. I'll just use the Adobe flash plugin then. Anyone know if Silverlight is able to be installed in some fashion in Pale Moon for Linux as well? I'm having a hard time finding a package that I can use, if not I'm going to try to build Moonlight from source next. For some reason Microsoft Silverlight exe does not work in WINE.