No add-on icons in toolbar

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
vansloneker

No add-on icons in toolbar

Unread post by vansloneker » 2020-06-24, 15:43

I had recently installed PaleMoon from the repository on Linux Mint 18.3 XFCE/32 and now wanted to continue my setup with some add-ons. Classic Add-ons Archive was stalling so I manually added Ublock 1.13.10 from a saved file.
Ublock appears in add-ons but no icon on any toolbar showed up, neither in the customize toolbar menu.
I then added AdBlock plus 2.8.2 and this also has no visible icon. However I could access the setting via add-ons and loaded my filters which do work.
Ublock settings are not accessible in add-ons.

I update PaleMoon to 28.10.0 and hoped the issued might have been solved but no luck.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: No add-on icons in toolbar

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-06-24, 16:03

You need to install the legacy version of uBlock, not anything from CAA or anywhere else.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2020-06-24, 17:47

vansloneker wrote:
2020-06-24, 15:43
I manually added Ublock
vansloneker wrote:
2020-06-24, 15:43
I then added AdBlock plus
Two points...

One: Adblock Plus, no matter the version, is not compatible with Pale Moon.
It has a long history of causing browser breakage.
(you cannot assume that everything in the Classic Add-ons Archive "just works" with Pale Moon)

If you want an ABP-family adblocker, use either Adblock Latitude or ABPrime available on the Pale Moon Add-ons site.

Two: Do not use two different adblockers together. It invites trouble.
Pick just one: uBO Legacy, or Adblock Latitude, or ABPrime.

vansloneker

Unread post by vansloneker » 2020-06-24, 18:53

I'll explain I added Adblock because Ublock didn't work and I wanted to check if it was just that or something else.

I loaded Ublock-legacy as suggested and it shows the desired icon.

Thank you both for pointing me in the right direction.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2020-06-25, 06:43

Off-topic:
Time to introduce strict compatibility? This is getting worse.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-06-25, 07:19

adesh wrote:
2020-06-25, 06:43
Off-topic:
Time to introduce strict compatibility? This is getting worse.
It's well established that jetpack/boostrap/addon SDK 'restartless' extensions are total shit when it comes to compatibility with Pale Moon, and they mess up the toolbar all the time. Frequent problem is when you make a custom toolbar and add extension icons to it, and they all vanish after the next restart.
Off-topic:
Before Pure URL there was one called Clean Links which had this same irritating habit of vanishing from the toolbar. It's what prompted me to fork Pure URL as a toolkit only extension. Even looking at the code of any bootstrap extension it is a horrible mess of dynamically constructing the UI through Javascript calls instead of a clean separation of XUL overlays. Separation of presentation from application logic is a pretty basic principle of good software development, and was easily possible with XUL for the UI and javascript for the logic unlike with these.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

vansloneker

Unread post by vansloneker » 2020-06-25, 18:16

[also off-topic]
I'm not entirely blank with PaleMoon but it sunk down a bit.
It is a bit difficult for people to understand how a somewhere FF based browser is not that compatible, don't blame them.

I had taken the Ublock file presuming it was from the pre-what's it how FF calls the extensions now but apparently it had been updated at some point.
The installation at that moment actually was hardly modified, PaleMoon went straight where FF went wrong.
It was on my "CrapTop" a low spec older laptop saved from the trash where I fixed the fan with one from a real trashed laptop, put in a SSD, upgraded the cpu to a C-M440 and the memory to a whopping 2GB's!
Therefore I tried to keep the browser as lean as possible.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2020-06-25, 19:03

moonbat wrote:
2020-06-25, 07:19
It's well established that jetpack/boostrap/addon SDK 'restartless' extensions are total shit when it comes to compatibility with Pale Moon, and they mess up the toolbar all the time.
However crappy jetpack/bootstrap may be... The issue with uBO 1.13.10 is that it's an xul/webextension hybrid, incompatible with PM and released for no purpose but to facilitate the transition between xul->webext for Firefox users.
(version 1.13.8, albeit ancient and full of unfixed problems, does display its toolbar button)

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2020-06-25, 19:06

vansloneker wrote:
2020-06-25, 18:16
Off-topic:
[also off-topic]
Off-topic:
You can indicate "off topic" by using the off topic tags. Select all the off topic material, then click the offtopic button in the post editor:
post-editor.png

vansloneker wrote:
2020-06-25, 18:16
Off-topic:
It is a bit difficult for people to understand how a somewhere FF based browser is not that compatible, don't blame them.
Pale Moon offers considerably more customizability and user control than other browsers. But with that comes user responsibility.

It really IS the individual user's obligation to inform himself to the greatest possible extent about the software he plans to use. That would include becoming familiar with PM's website and forum (including searching your topics of interest). And in the case of extensions, looking through Pale Moon's own add-ons site, rather than presuming things about which you had no knowledge. You would have found the relevant adblockers there.

And FYI, the Classic Add-ons Archive includes a version history for each extension, with compatibility information and release notes. It will serve you well to read that before installing things from CAA.