bookmarks and memory

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
MikeMc

bookmarks and memory

Unread post by MikeMc » 2020-06-17, 03:47

I have a PIII running Debian 7.3 and PaleMoon 27.8. I've only got 1/2Mb memory and noticed that PaleMoon stores extranious data in the bookmarks, hence in memory that benefit me little. Is there a way to tell PaleMoon not to store ADD_DATE, LAST_MODIFIED, LAST_CHARSET, ICON_URI and especially ICON data? This would appreciably reduce PaleMoon's memory foot print.
Thanks,
Mike

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: bookmarks and memory

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-06-17, 07:57

Get a computer from the past decade and not run old and insecure versions of software and learn that the name of the software you use is two words.

Also, explain how you are running anything in 512k of ram. You sure this is a pentium machine or an IBM XT?

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2020-06-17, 08:55

MikeMc wrote:
2020-06-17, 03:47
I have a PIII running Debian 7.3 and PaleMoon 27.8. I've only got 1/2Mb memory and noticed that PaleMoon stores extranious data in the bookmarks, hence in memory that benefit me little. Is there a way to tell PaleMoon not to store ADD_DATE, LAST_MODIFIED, LAST_CHARSET, ICON_URI and especially ICON data? This would appreciably reduce PaleMoon's memory foot print.
Thanks,
Mike
You need at least a CPU with SSE2, so you definitely need a Pentium 4 (or a corresponding Celeron) or Athlon 64, Athlon XP doesn't has this. The reason is that only the latest PM version is supported and it definitely needs it.
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-06-17, 10:34

Your operating environment is completely out of design scope, also for v27.
We won't be making any adjustments for it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

The Squash

Unread post by The Squash » 2020-06-18, 01:15

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-06-17, 07:57
[E]xplain how you are running anything in 512k of ram. You sure this is a pentium machine or an IBM XT?
Excuse me Tobin, but you misread MikeMc's post. It said "Mb", which means "megabit". Therefore it doesn't have 512KB of RAM, it has a good 64KB of RAM. Pale Moon on a Commodore 64, baby!

In reality, if you hadn't already figured it out, MikeMc most likely meant 512 MB of RAM, or 1/2 GB.

MikeMc

Unread post by MikeMc » 2020-06-19, 21:59

MoonChild,
I wasn't asking you to make changes for me, rather whether there is a config I could change to stop PM from eating up memory and disk space that I have other uses for.

Tobin,
I await your check so that I might get a newer computer, you were offering to spend your money rather than mine weren't you?

I don't run games or watch movies on my computer. 95% of what I do on the computer is text based just like this forum.
A PIII with 512 MB memory does those things well.

Stay well,
Mike

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-06-19, 22:51

MikeMc wrote:
2020-06-19, 21:59
MoonChild,
Who?
MikeMc wrote:
2020-06-19, 21:59
I wasn't asking you to make changes for me, rather whether there is a config I could change to stop PM from eating up memory and disk space that I have other uses for.
There isn't. End of story.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

The Squash

Unread post by The Squash » 2020-06-24, 01:07

MikeMc, if you're like me and have a Pentium III with even that much RAM, and you only need text and stuff, I'd suggest Midori, not Pale Moon. The latter is just a little too bulky for such hardware. Believe me.

EDIT:
Actually Midori is pretty good. It can render a lot of things, not just text. It's missing some features like compatibility with a lot of Firefox / Netscape externsions, but I think it makes up for itself with its small footprint. If you truly don't need anything but text, try ELinks.