Palemoon crashes trying to restore session

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
cosmo666

Palemoon crashes trying to restore session

Unread post by cosmo666 » 2020-06-08, 20:56

The window which normally allows me to tell it not to restore the previous session flashes on the screen, then Palemoon crashes.
Xubuntu 16.04 Pale Moon 28.9.3

When I try loading from the command-line with:
palemoon -p
I get 'TSTBrowser::restoreTree'
level=1
tabsToRestore = 1
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Is there a restore file I can delete to prevent Pale Moon trying to restore?
Command line option to prevent restore attempt?

thanks for any suggestions.

The Squash

Re: Palemoon crashes trying to restore session

Unread post by The Squash » 2020-06-08, 22:30

First off, when you say "Pale Moon", do you mean "Pale Moon"? I know the answer seems obvious but not necessarily.

Second, what does the "-p" switch to Pale Moon even do? If you don't know, where did you see it mentioned? I couldn't find any evidence that it even existed.

Third, is this the official Pale Moon (from the tarball), is this Steve Pusser's Pale Moon build, or is it an unofficial build?

Fourth, try the following procedure (somebody's probably going to tell me this is stupid, but it worked for me in an earlier era with Firefox):
First, open your home directory in your preferred file manager.
Next, make sure your file manager shows hidden files.
Next, navigate to the directory '.moonchild productions'.
Next, navigate to the directory under that called 'pale moon'.
In that directory should be at least one directory and one file. Navigate to the directory which contains your current profile. If you have only one profile then the proper profile directory should end with the string 'default'.
Now delete the following files under that directory:

Code: Select all

sessionstore.bak
sessionstore.js
sessionCheckpoints.json
Please launch Pale Moon from the command line again and tell us how that works out.

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2020-06-09, 14:19

cosmo666 wrote:
2020-06-08, 20:56
Is there a restore file I can delete to prevent Pale Moon trying to restore?
Command line option to prevent restore attempt?
Go to the palemoon menu in a running instance: Tools - Preferences - General Tab - "When Palemoon Starts" - select "Show my home page" or "Show a blank page". That will prevent the restore previous tabs function.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2020-06-09, 14:54

Now delete the following [session restore] files under that directory
I'd think it better that he rename the files (as I suppose he may want his session data).
When I try loading from the command-line with:
palemoon -p
Does that bring up Profile Manager, allowing your to select a Profile, or does it crash outright?
(And to be clear, you're only typing 'palemoon -p' & not something like 'palemoon -p myprofile'?
Does palemoon -profilemanager do the same?)

cosmo666

Unread post by cosmo666 » 2020-06-24, 04:53

Thanks for the suggestions. After removing the sessionstore files and running palemoon <username> from the commandline,
I got: Segmentation fault (core dumped).

Having not used Palemoon since making the original post, this time it came up with the session-restore option screen, and it stayed there for something on the order of 30 seconds, during which I attempted to find something I could click on, to no avail (including attempting to close the window). Finally, at maybe 45 seconds, it closed itself. After that, I tried several times again, only in those instances, it reverted to 'instant crash mode'. In order to get a screen shot, I had to setup a screen video recorder, then play back the video slowly (see attached).

This instance of Pale Moon was my 'primary use install', so I've been avoiding purge/re-install, and trying to get by with Firefox. But need to get Pale Moon back and working, so going to go ahead and start over. Thanks again for the responses and suggestions.
sshot.pale_moon_fail.jpg