When Pale Moon eats over 2 GB RAM, it stucked and black screen again?

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
SGvagon

When Pale Moon eats over 2 GB RAM, it stucked and black screen again?

Unread post by SGvagon » 2020-05-22, 10:56

Hello,

I have back an issue with black screen and stucking Pale Moon. When Pale Moon have over 2 GB of RAM usage (+- 250 MB) , it stuck and after awhile all browser window goes to black and I must kill Pale Moon from task manager in processes. Because after click on X button for close, Pale Moon is still in Task Manager with over 2 GB of RAM usage.

It's very strange, I have 16 GB RAM Kingston 1600 MHz and Pale Moon have problem with 2 GB.

I have the latest Pale Moon 28.9.3 32bit (I tried new profile now, same issues) on Windows 7 PRO x64bit. Laptop you know what I have (Lenovo Y50-70 with Core i5 4210H , Nvidia GTX960M 4GB, SSD 500GB WD Blue) .

This problem shows usually when I am on Facebook and then try open some Youtube video. I hear the video but browser is stuck at this moment. So I click on X button and wait (10-15 seconds) . Then browser close, but still in Task Manager.
Or when I am in Deviantart gallery with lots of images (scrolling starts choppier and choppier and then browser goes to black screen and I can't do anything) .

It's not a hardware issue, because in Firefox or IE I can have 4-5 GB of RAM usage and browser still running. I checked RAM in Memtest86+ with no errors, SSD in Crystaldisk says disk is OK.

Does anyone have same issue?
Last edited by SGvagon on 2020-05-22, 11:13, edited 1 time in total.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: When Pale Moon eats over 2 GB RAM, it stucked and black screen again?

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-05-22, 11:08

SGvagon wrote:
2020-05-22, 10:56
I have 16 GB RAM Kingston 1600 MHz

I have the latest Pale Moon 28.9.3 32bit on Windows 7 x64bit
Why on earth would you use the 32 bit browser on a 64 bit OS with way more than 4 GB RAM, which is the upper limit of what can be addressed by a 32 bit application?
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2020-05-22, 11:18

moonbat : I am still using some 32bit plug-ins (like VLC, Acrobat reader, Unity player, ... ) . In 64bit version, these plug-ins not working/missing.

On my desktop PC I have 16GB RAM and 32bit Pale Moon too, and there is no issue with black screen or stucking.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-05-22, 11:25

Sounds like you're having trouble with hardware acceleration which is quite common on hybrid GPU systems, unfortunately.
Please try to set your system up so Pale Moon uses the Intel GPU and not the NVidia one. That might help (albeit might be slightly less performant)
Most mainstream plugins by the way DO have 64-bit versions of them so you really might want to look into that and switching to a 64-bit browser.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2020-05-22, 11:35

Moonchild : Ok I will try that (Pale Moon in Nvidia Control Panel is set on automatic: Intel GPU, so I set it to only Intel) .

And about 64bit version, ok I will try migrate on it too. I know, that some plugins are not necessary, but Acrobat for PDF files is important for me at this time.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2020-05-22, 11:38

32-bit process can only use - at most, 4 GB of RAM.
So having 16 GB or RAM doesn't really make a difference.

Different computer systems react differently (as you see).
With 32-bit, I'd think when you're getting close to 2 GB, one is apt. to starting running into "limitations" - even though that is well below the potential maximum.
Some systems may fare better then others.
Even with 64-bit browser, in "legacy" browsers, you may still run into "issues" even staring around the 2 GB mark - depending, & even considering theoretical maximums are well above that. (Even with 64-bit browsers of other ilk, Quantum or Edge or... at some point, again even at relatively low RAM usage numbers, issues can [& will] crop up.)
It's not a hardware issue
Could be - between PM & your hardware.
Could be outdated (video) drivers, where newer could help.

Are FF / IE 32-bit also?
If they are using 4-5 GB of RAM, I'd say not.

For some sites, situations, in particular these days, sometimes a "foreign" browser simply works better.

Plugins. VLC, not sure what that does for you? Acrobat, you can get Isaac's pdf.js, might suffice. (Not familiar with Unity?)

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2020-05-22, 11:46

therube : You right, Firefox and IE are 64bit yes :-/ , because in Windows 7 after update on IE 11 , they disabled 32bit IE in 64bit systems. And Firefox looks like download automatically 64bit. That's one of the reason, why I am still running on Pale Moon.

And Unity web player is require for browser games on Unity engine, for example this on my website http://manhetn.info/poradna/viewtopic.p ... p=290#p290 Click on Spustit hru. Unity end of support this player, but on the internet there are still lots of great Unity games.

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2020-05-22, 19:11

Hm, it happened again even if I set Pale Moon to the Intel GPU :| . I had opened few phpbb pages, Youtube and Facebook. Pale Moon using 1,7 GB RAM and when I tried switch on Facebook tab, all browser turned to black window and stuck.

Lurker_01
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Lurker_01 » 2020-05-23, 09:28

Considering you are using 32 bit version and have 2 GB usage, it seems like Pale Moon is running out of avaliable for 32 bit process memory like in my own old post viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23551
Moonchild unfortunately didn't tell exactly why the browser locks up/dies/turns the graphics to black other that 32 bit Pale Moon has limitations.

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2020-05-23, 09:42

If you need the 64 bit Unity plug-in, here's one place you can get it. viewtopic.php?f=47&t=16855&p=126957#p123263

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2020-05-23, 12:51

Cassette : Ok, thank you :) . Unity web player now working on Pale Moon x64bit too. So, 64bit is maybe only solution to avoid this black screen and stucking Pale Moon.

Can I use 32bit PM profile or I need to create new one?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-05-23, 13:06

SGvagon wrote:
2020-05-23, 12:51
Can I use 32bit PM profile or I need to create new one?
Using your existing 32-bit profile on 64-bit should be perfectly fine.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-05-23, 14:20

Uninstall Pale Moon 32bit WITHOUT HITTING THE CHECKBOX THAT SAYS SOMETHING LIKE REMOVE SETTINGS then install 64bit.

It will then just work.

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2020-05-23, 14:43

New Tobin Paradigm : Yes, I backup Moonchild Productions from roaming folder before uninstall 32bit Pale Moon.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-05-23, 15:15

SGvagon wrote:
2020-05-23, 14:43
New Tobin Paradigm : Yes, I backup Moonchild Productions from roaming folder before uninstall 32bit Pale Moon.
That is not at all what he said.

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2020-05-23, 16:04

Moonchild : The problem is, that in the Uninstall process there wasn't any check box about removing settings. Maybe because I have two profiles in Pale Moon?

Al6bus
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Al6bus » 2020-05-23, 18:53

SGvagon wrote:
2020-05-23, 12:51
So, 64bit is maybe only solution to avoid this black screen and stucking Pale Moon.
I guess 64bit is only solution to avoid this black screen and glitching Pale Moon at ~2.5 GB Ram or a bit more, thanks to SSD :)
Windows 7 Pro x64 - Pale Moon x64
We hope for multiprocessing

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-05-23, 21:09

SGvagon wrote:
2020-05-23, 16:04
Moonchild : The problem is, that in the Uninstall process there wasn't any check box about removing settings. Maybe because I have two profiles in Pale Moon?
No, I don't think that is still part of the uninstaller, period. I'm guessing Mozilla removed that option because enough stupid people were losing their precious data.

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2020-05-23, 21:17

Moonchild : I am only replying on what Tobin said
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-05-23, 14:20
Uninstall Pale Moon 32bit WITHOUT HITTING THE CHECKBOX THAT SAYS SOMETHING LIKE REMOVE SETTINGS then install 64bit.

It will then just work.
So I backuped (copied) Moonchild Productions folder from %appdata% (roaming) on desktop. If something goes wrong after install 64bit version. That's all :) .

Ok thank you all for help :) . I hope, that I will not see black window again. It irritated me in some moments, when I had opened few important tabs and I must restarted Pale Moon because black window.

SGvagon

Unread post by SGvagon » 2020-05-27, 04:04

Ok, Pale Moon x64bit seems to work better without any black screen :) . I must only set Pagefile for RAM in Windows like this:
Pagefile.png
Because with automatic pagefile Pale Moon was slower and scrolling choppier (little more than x32bit Pale Moon) .

This setting makes Pale Moon more quicker without slowing down for ex. while loading pages.