Add a new toolbar option.

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Spudozo

Add a new toolbar option.

Unread post by Spudozo » 2020-01-05, 10:54

Hello and Happy New year,

Under 'Customize Toolbar' there is the option to 'Add New Toolbar'

I have clicked on that added a name and seen an empty (as expected) toolbar appear!
However once you close the Toolbar window by clicking 'Done' the new toolbar vanishes - never to return!

Woe is me! Can anyone explain what/why is happening and what I should do to get and keep an extra toolbar?

Thanks.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Add a new toolbar option.

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-01-05, 11:10

Empty toolbars are always removed when you close the customize window (since there is no manual "remove" option).
What you need to do is create the toolbar and while still in the customize window, add or move something to it so it's not empty.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-01-05, 11:21

Moonchild wrote:
2020-01-05, 11:10
Empty toolbars are always removed when you close the customize window (since there is no manual "remove" option).
What you need to do is create the toolbar and while still in the customize window, add or move something to it so it's not empty.
Trouble is, they vanish even when there are icons on them after a restart and can't be brought back from the rightclick menu. If I open a new window, then the toolbar appears again on it. I had posted earlier about this.
I've gotten around this for now by adding addon buttons to the bookmarks toolbar in conjunction with 'Roomy bookmarks toolbar' - which iconifys all bookmarks till you mouseover them to create more space.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Spudozo

Unread post by Spudozo » 2020-01-05, 14:53

Hi,

Thanks for the responses.

I dragged an icon and it worked and is still there after a restart or two. Happy Days :D

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-01-05, 14:53

I just tested this (yet again) and it work as it should. I created a new toolbar, gave it a temp name, put an icon from the customize winow on it by dragging and dropping (history, if it matters), closed customize. toolbar was there. Restarted the browser. toolbar was still there. Customized again, removed the icon and closed customize, and the toolbar was deleted. All of that is as it's supposed to happen.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-01-05, 19:14

Try adding zero space or flexable space item to it if the buttons are all from bootstrap or jetpack extensions and none are the built in toolbar items. Should help.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-01-05, 23:23

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-01-05, 19:14
Try adding zero space or flexable space item to it if the buttons are all from bootstrap or jetpack extensions and none are the built in toolbar items. Should help.
Yes, this is what I was trying to do as well - I wanted some buttons on the left side and some on the right with flexible space in between.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Jalkhov
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Jalkhov » 2020-05-06, 13:06

Moonchild wrote:
2020-01-05, 11:10
Hi, in my case when I add icons to the new toolbar and restart the browser it disappears and the icons I added before go to the customization window, no matter how much I restart the browser, it does not appear again.
🧠 Learning...

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-05-06, 13:16

Jalkhov wrote:
2020-05-06, 13:06
Hi, in my case when I add icons to the new toolbar and restart the browser it disappears and the icons I added before go to the customization window, no matter how much I restart the browser, it does not appear again.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-05-06, 13:20

I've learned to live with this feature not working properly.
2020-05-06, 13:16
This didn't work for me.
My solution - I use the existing bookmarks toolbar in conjunction with Roomy Bookmarks Toolbar from CAA - it lets you iconify all bookmark icons on the toolbar. So there's plenty of room on the bookmarks toolbar for bookmarks as well as shortcuts to my frequently used extensions.

If there was another way to retain custom toolbars between browser restarts I'd appreciate that too.

Jalkhov
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Jalkhov » 2020-05-06, 13:23

2020-05-06, 13:16
Jalkhov wrote:
2020-05-06, 13:06
Yes, I did, and it keeps disappearing. Could you explain to me what "buttons from bootstrap or jetpack extensions and none are the built in toolbar items"?
🧠 Learning...

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-05-06, 13:24

I already have. Search the forum.