YouTube "doesn't support this browser".

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Gilgaearel

YouTube "doesn't support this browser".

Unread post by Gilgaearel » 2020-05-01, 21:29

Hi everyone.
I'm glad to join this forum for a second time as the account that I used to have here disappeared, thought my email address remained in the database and so I couldn't open a new account with my email. :lol:
So I had to sign up for a second time, but the account I made, took that long to be confirmed that the issue that I wanted to report, got resolved with the next Pale Moon update! :lol: :lol:
I understand that security is a serious matter, but deleting the older accounts of this forum and forcing people as a consequence people to sing up with new accounts is not the safest of options neither the most helpful one.

Anyway.... after waiting for more than two weeks to access this account, I shouldn't have had theoretically any problem to report , but I do have one.

YouTube claims that it doesn't support this browser, those very few times that visit this video platform. And it seems that it doesn't indeed as the fonts are huge, the side bars tremble ( yes they do so) and it is almost impossible to navigate, click on urls etc. The videos though still play normally.

I run the latest version of Pale Moon 28.9.1 on Linux Mint.
Any idea why this happens? Is Pale Moon incompatible with Youtube or Youtube doesn't like Pale Moon?

Thank you in advance for the any replies.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: YouTube "doesn't support this browser".

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-05-01, 22:50

Do you use an extension to chamge the user agent string?
As for the other problems you are meeting, it's web 4.0 quality code, so welcome to the future.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2020-05-01, 23:24

@ Gilgaearel

I spend a lot of time on YouTube and I have no problems with YT using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.9.2 running in 64 bit linux Mint 19.3 (Tricia) Xfce. The only addson/extensions I use are NoSquint and uBlock Origin with UBO enabled for YT. YouTube sees my user agent mode as Firefox Compatibility and I have hardware acceleration turned off.

My desktop tower computer has an Intel i7 processor in it with a speed of 2.80, 16 GB of memory and an old AMD Radeon HD 6450 graphics card.

BTW, you're linux Pale Moon 28.9.1 is not the newest version of Pale Moon.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Gilgaearel

Unread post by Gilgaearel » 2020-05-02, 02:13

vannilla wrote:
2020-05-01, 22:50
Do you use an extension to chamge the user agent string?
As for the other problems you are meeting, it's web 4.0 quality code, so welcome to the future.
Hi vanilla and thanks for the immediate reply. No I don't use any because I'm trying to run as few addons as possible. But... if I use an extention to change the user agent string , what this agent string should be? Compatible with what?

I don't know what is this web 4.0 code but it looks like crap.. :lol:

Gilgaearel

Unread post by Gilgaearel » 2020-05-02, 02:34

Night Wing wrote:
2020-05-01, 23:24
@ Gilgaearel

I spend a lot of time on YouTube and I have no problems with YT using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.9.2 running in 64 bit linux Mint 19.3 (Tricia) Xfce. The only addson/extensions I use are NoSquint and uBlock Origin with UBO enabled for YT. YouTube sees my user agent mode as Firefox Compatibility and I have hardware acceleration turned off.

My desktop tower computer has an Intel i7 processor in it with a speed of 2.80, 16 GB of memory and an old AMD Radeon HD 6450 graphics card.

Hi Night Wing and thanks for the information.

You shouldn't spend that much time on youtube itself because it is literally spying you. If you want to watch youtube videos try invidio.us that is some sort of proxy for YT. You can watch the content without having the trackers spying on you. And it has also a very nice layout.
But I asked about YT because those very few times that I have to visit it, it crashes the browser.

You pc is very advanced compared to mine.

I want to thank you also for informing me that there is yet another update. The matter is that I have switched to manual updates because way too many of the most recent updates were spoiling things instead of fixing them.
The previous one crashed the browser when I visited some websites for instance. I wanted to report this issue but my account on this forum had gone too. I tried to make a new account but the forum informed that my email was already in use. I had to make a new email account in order to join the forum but then I had to wait for ages for the new forum account to be activated.

Is it me (that I'm getting old) or this is completely counter productive???

Pentium4User
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Pentium4User » 2020-05-02, 05:48

Go to about:config and post the value of general.useragent.override.youtube.com
The profile picture shows my Maico EC30 E ceiling fan.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2020-05-02, 12:34

Gilgaearel wrote:
2020-05-02, 02:34
Night Wing wrote:
2020-05-01, 23:24
@ Gilgaearel

You shouldn't spend that much time on youtube itself because it is literally spying you.

You pc is very advanced compared to mine.

I want to thank you also for informing me that there is yet another update. The matter is that I have switched to manual updates because way too many of the most recent updates were spoiling things instead of fixing them.

Is it me (that I'm getting old) or this is completely counter productive???
When it comes to YouTube and spying on me; most of the time when I'm using YouTube I'm mostly using it to find music videos, doing research on prone surfing videos for prone surf boards and standup paddle boarding videos for the different specs on these types of boards for flat water paddling and sup surfing. I do not care what YouTube thinks of my choices in music, what it thinks of my my prone surfing boards or stand up paddle boards specifications I'm hunting for for the wind and water conditions I'm going to encounter on lakes and beachfront surf waves.

In other words, there is nothing YouTube is going to "find about me when it comes to privacy" other than what I allow YouTube to find out about me. I'm not as paranoid as some privacy types are, here on the Pale Moon Forums site.

As for what you think is my advanced desktop tower computer in my post to you above, it was bought way back in May or June of..............the year 2010. When I bought it, I didn't go "bare bones" on the hardware inside the tower. At that time, I planned on keeping it for a long time. During the last 10 years, off of the top of my head as I type this post, I've replaced the power supply and the graphics card in it.

Too many people buy a computer and it is under powered in my opinion because websites add a lot of "stuff" to their sites. And over time, things do not work so well on some sites. Not having enough memory is one of those things people skimp on. In the computer shop where I volunteer at, when people come in to buy a new computer, for a 64 bit laptop, I always recommend a minimum of 8 GB of memory with a good computer processor speed of at least (2.80). For a 64 bit desktop tower computer, at least 12 GB of memory and again, with a minimum processor speed of (2.80). This way, they can buy a computer which they can use for many years without any problems for a changing internet.

As for my 64 bit linux Pale Moon, I don't do conventional wisdom. In other words, "I don't run with the pack". I think it would be safe for me to state, I'm the "only" one on this Pale Moon Forums site whose linux Pale Moon is "not" installed in 64 bit linux Mint or in any of the other linux distros I've used since 2012 which would include the distros of Mint, Debian, Linux Lite, SolydXK, Manjaro and Chalet OS with their Xfce desktop environments.

And by not installing linux Pale Moon, I never have to worry about running into any problems with regards to installing and uninstalling linux Pale Moon. And like you, I've always manually updated both linux Pale Moon by using the linux tarball which Travis offers since he is the linux Pale Moon maintainer (which I'm grateful for) so people like me don't have to mess around with the linux terminal if something goes wrong if problems arise.

So if Travis is reading this post to you, thank you, Travis.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Gilgaearel

Unread post by Gilgaearel » 2020-05-02, 15:18

Pentium4User wrote:
2020-05-02, 05:48
Go to about:config and post the value of general.useragent.override.youtube.com
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0 PaleMoon/28.9.2

Gilgaearel

Unread post by Gilgaearel » 2020-05-02, 15:34

Night Wing wrote:
2020-05-02, 12:34

Too many people buy a computer and it is under powered in my opinion because websites add a lot of "stuff" to their sites. And over time, things do not work so well on some sites. Not having enough memory is one of those things people skimp on. In the computer shop where I volunteer at, when people come in to buy a new computer, for a 64 bit laptop, I always recommend a minimum of 8 GB of memory with a good computer processor speed of at least (2.80). For a 64 bit desktop tower computer, at least 12 GB of memory and again, with a minimum processor speed of (2.80). This way, they can buy a computer which they can use for many years without any problems for a changing internet.
1.8 GB memory and it runs just fine for the work that I want it to do. Updating the hardware in order to match with the needs of a website loaded with useless features doesn't make any sense. Web designers have to understand that they must make lighter and better designed web pages.
I don't see at the end of the day, why I should be the one who has to spend money to upgrade my pc in order to access a website that is overloaded. If those who make the websites want to increase their traffic then they should be the ones who will spend instead of money, their time to make them lighter and easily accessible.

The problems that I encounter now on some pages don't seem to have something to do with the memory of the pc, but mostly with the coming and going incompatibilities of Pale Moon.
I' don't mean to offend anyone and I'm more than thankful to those who maintain the project ( I have Pale Moon from 2011 or something- I can't even recall any more), but the updates are not most of the times stable.

For example I updated the browser to the 28.9.2 version and it started again to struggle to load certain websites that it didn't have any problem to load on the 28.9.1 version.
So this is not a matter of hardware but a matter of the update.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2020-05-02, 15:41

Gilgaearel wrote:
2020-05-02, 15:34
For example I updated the browser to the 28.9.2 version and it started again to struggle to load certain websites that it didn't have any problem to load on the 28.9.1 version.
Off-topic:
You can report such problems when they happen, describing the problem, URLs and browser configuration with one topic each for the problem.

carly

Unread post by carly » 2020-05-02, 16:46

Hi everyone,

I am experiencing the same issue with Basilisk x64, currently version 2020.03.04.

But also with the previous releases.

Is it true that Youtube will not support Basilisk anymore?

Last edited by satrow on 2020-05-02, 18:02, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed odd URL...

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2020-05-02, 16:49

Gilgaearel wrote:
Night Wing wrote:
2020-05-02, 12:34

1.8 GB memory and it runs just fine for the work that I want it to do. Updating the hardware in order to match with the needs of a website loaded with useless features doesn't make any sense. Web designers have to understand that they must make lighter and better designed web pages.
I don't see at the end of the day, why I should be the one who has to spend money to upgrade my pc in order to access a website that is overloaded. If those who make the websites want to increase their traffic then they should be the ones who will spend instead of money, their time to make them lighter and easily accessible.

The problems that I encounter now on some pages don't seem to have something to do with the memory of the pc, but mostly with the coming and going incompatibilities of Pale Moon.

So this is not a matter of hardware but a matter of the update.
I'm going to play "Devil's Advocate" with you.

Although 1.8 GB of memory runs fine for the work you do with linux Pale Moon in your linux distro of choice, other people may need "more OR a lot more memory" for what they do than what you do. Like some of the people who run podcasts on YouTube.

And in Mint, on the Mint site, it states "officially" how much memory is needed in the link below and the memory is 1 GB.

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3834

"Unofficially", the BARE minimum amount of memory for Mint to run is 2 GB and I "never" go with the bare minimum. So when I deal with people who don't want to go with more memory than what they want, I give them an old adage to "seal the deal". And the old adage is; "Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it". So for me, "needs" come before "wants".

When people finally want to give up their Windows 7 machines or they loathe their Windows 10 machines, I work with them to find out if they would be a good candidate for transitioning over to a linux distribution. If they can, then I usually show them my Mint distro with linux Pale Moon as my browser of choice with linux Firefox as my backup browser. With these two browsers installed, I have no problems and this seals the deal for them. And I let them play with my 14" laptop with 64 bit linux Mint 19.3 (Tricia) Xfce with 8 GB of memory, with an Intel i5 processor in it with a processor speed of 2.66 at the shop for a few hours so they can get a feel for linux and linux Pale Moon.

After these people have been using a linux distro for awhile, either Mint or Ubuntu, they come back to the shop and tell me they're quite happy with their linux distro and with linux Pale Moon and linux Firefox.

Some people's problems are their use of NoScript or they are using an extension which is now no longer compatible with the newest version of linux Pale Moon. They don't check their extensions for version compatibility. Some don't list the extensions they use. Or they don't list the customizations they've made which have inadvertently caused problems in both linux Pale Moon. And some don't want to test out a new clean profile.

And lastly, they don't list or provide the direct clickable links to the websites where linux Pale Mooln is not working (or windows Pale Moon).

The power users who can help on this site, the power users "don't have a crystal ball which can read people's minds" when said people are having problems with linux Pale Moon or windows Pale Moon and these people who are having problems, getting information out of them is like "pulling teeth without novocaine".

Gilgaearel

Unread post by Gilgaearel » 2020-05-02, 18:43

adesh wrote:
2020-05-02, 15:41
Gilgaearel wrote:
Off-topic:
You can report such problems when they happen, describing the problem, URLs and browser configuration with one topic each for the problem.
They happen every other update as it seems.
Never mind. I'll wait for the next update and then I'll stick with it. :)

Gilgaearel

Unread post by Gilgaearel » 2020-05-02, 18:54

Night Wing wrote:
2020-05-02, 16:49

I'm going to play "Devil's Advocate" with you.

Moderator note: excessive quoting removed.
I don't have that much time to play as I'm currently very busy.
My only problem is that the browser that I use for almost a decade, misbehaved after some updates. I have already told you what are the problems that I encounter, but they are not that important to make me change my whole setup or proceed to upgrades.

I also use linux for the last 16 years, I use Linux Mint for the last 11-12 years previously with Gnome, now with Mate, and I don't upgrade my hardware for the sake of the overloaded websites that most of the times don't even interest me that much to miss them. The most overloaded with useless features websites, are usually the less serious ones. The web though is so vast that there are always alternatives.

Lunokhod
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Lunokhod » 2020-05-02, 20:36

YouTube works here. Have you tried Vimeo, it seems a good alternative? It has a lot of the same sort of videos you would find on YouTube, but is a different provider, whether you would find them preferable, I don't know. Memory requirements also relate to processor cores. A high spec 4 core i7 with hyperthreading (some i7's have only 2 which is confusing, I used to think they had 7 when people first started talking about them!) will run 8 processes in parallel. It would then have only 1GB per process, so 8GB would certainly be needed then. I have a 2 core CPU with only one thread per core, even building Pale Moon I haven't seen more than about 2GB of my 8GB RAM and 16GB swap used when watching in "top" so it's nice to have plenty of RAM but is complete overkill on my hw, with 4GB available per process. It's equivalent to 32GB RAM on a 4+4 i7.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been...

Gilgaearel

Unread post by Gilgaearel » 2020-05-02, 23:10

I don't know what they have changed on YT but it looks a mess to me. Perhaps I should try to change the user agent string as it was suggested above. My current is this one:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0 PaleMoon/28.9.2

Can you please tell me what is yours in order to change mine on the about:config. Just in case that it works.

I rarely watch youtube videos on youtube, I watch them on invidio.us that has a better layout and doesn't run a trillion scripts. But this incompatibility with YT messes up the embedded videos too, that I can't maximize on some websites.
Perhaps...I don't know... changing the user agent string might fix this problem. :)

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2020-05-02, 23:44

Gilgaearel wrote:
2020-05-02, 23:10
I don't know what they have changed on YT but it looks a mess to me. Perhaps I should try to change the user agent string as it was suggested above. My current is this one:

I have no problems with YouTube. My user agent for YouTube is the default user agent when using linux Pale Moon 28.9.2 is below:

Code: Select all

And this is the exact same user agent for YouTube that you have listed.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-05-03, 13:02

Perhaps you should update the browser, too.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Gilgaearel

Unread post by Gilgaearel » 2020-05-05, 01:49

Isn't 28.9.2 the latest version?

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2020-05-05, 03:24

Gilgaearel wrote:
2020-05-05, 01:49
Isn't 28.9.2 the latest version?
Yes, it is.

Which means you're having problems with YouTube with the above newest version of linux Pale Moon 28.9.2 whereas I am "not" experiencing any problems with YouTube with the same newest version of linux Pale Moon 28.9.2 which you are using.

The only conclusion I can come to is.........the problem is on your end someplace and it is not the newest version of linux Pale Moon.

Below is just food for thought.

With regards to linux, it is best if one matches the bit of the motherboard when it comes to installing and running programs in linux. I've seen some people's computer have a 32 bit motherboard and they installed a linux 64 bit program. But sometimes the 64 bit linux program will not install and if it installs, it doesn't work properly. This has happened down at the computer repair shop where I work and they blame the program when in reality, they themselves was the cause of the problem.

I'm not saying you did this. I'm just saying people inadvertently make a mistake and they don't realize they made the mistake which caused a problem.