ηMatrix/eMatrix support thread

Dedicated board for extension releases/support threads

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Forum rules
Please do not create new topics here unless you are an extension author in need of a dedicated releases&support thread!
vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: ηMatrix/eMatrix support thread

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-04-01, 19:34

Updated to address the discontinuation of one of the default filter lists.
You are not really missing anything as the remaining ones are more than enough. I've been living with the now-removed list disabled for some months already and I didn't really meet any issue.
There are also some internal changes, so report any error you see in the error console (as long as they are from this extension, that is.)

Utnapishtim
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Utnapishtim » 2020-04-25, 23:44

I'm having this sort of problem on eMatrix where some CSS styles and images just don't get loaded even though they're whitelisted, and I have to F5 a lot to get them to work (press F5 some 4-5 times then wait a second or two and press again and so about 4-5 times total). Example (DuckDuckGo):
duckduckgo partial load.PNG
Sometimes whole parts of the page are missing:
duckduckgo partial load 2.PNG
Happens on various computers, both Windows and Linux. Anyone else got this problem?

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-04-26, 02:29

I don't. Have you tried on a new profile where only eMatrix is installed and where no settings have been changed?

EMH_Mark_I
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by EMH_Mark_I » 2020-04-28, 16:34

I see the same results with DDG as Utnapishtim. Reloading the page a few times works. As suggested, I'm going to create a new profile and leave eMatrix as the only extension installed. If all goes well, I'll slowly bring in the other few to see if they are interfering.
Devuan Ceres | XFCE4
"Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the Lord thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee."

Utnapishtim
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Utnapishtim » 2020-04-28, 21:12

I haven't yet done the new profile thing but I've removed or disabled several addons and it didn't stop it from occurring. So far I've vindicated Decentraleyes and GreedyCache, a few others I only disabled. I thought initially it could be Stylem since I have userstyles for all of the websites I remember being affected. However it still shows up when Stylem is disabled, and I have userstyles for pretty much anything where I allow CSS and JS, so that's not really settled.

I'm gonna try to make a new profile and see what happens. This is pretty sporadic tho, some days it happens all day, some not at all. It'll take a while to be sure.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-04-28, 23:14

Unfortunately as I've said it never happened to me.
I even tried today just to be sure: I went to DuckDuckGo with the default settings for eMatrix and the CSS loaded just fine.
When it happens, can you check all the consoles the browser gives (web console (F12), error console, browser console) to see if there are any error messages?

EMH_Mark_I
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by EMH_Mark_I » 2020-04-29, 04:47

There are some error messages. There seems to be some trouble with loading "https://duckduckgo.com/s1891.css" in particular since it's a common recurrence across my other computers.

Screenshot 1: https://i.imgur.com/OQjrdvY.png
Screenshot 2: https://i.imgur.com/Wb7uSwO.png
Screenshot 3: https://i.imgur.com/t8zUNGo.png
Screenshot 4: https://i.imgur.com/mWNLN8T.png

I've also attached an archive of the network status: "Archive 20-04-28 22-38-19.zip"
I've also attached a text file of the error console log: "error_console.txt"
I've also attached a snapshot of the memory: "25031504.zip"
I've also attached the umatrix rules export file: "my-umatrix-rules.txt"

I'm going to test now without eMatrix and a new Pale Moon profile to see if this could be caused by anything else.
Attachments
error_console.txt
(1.21 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
Archive 20-04-28 22-38-19.zip
(523.6 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
25031504.zip
(749.69 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
my-umatrix-rules.txt
(702 Bytes) Downloaded 13 times
Devuan Ceres | XFCE4
"Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the Lord thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee."

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-04-29, 09:53

Thanks, I'll check them out.

Andrew Herbert

Unread post by Andrew Herbert » 2020-04-29, 19:18

CNAME handling works properly after allowing first-party stuff in the global scope. :)

Andrew Herbert

Unread post by Andrew Herbert » 2020-05-03, 04:35

To clarify, the new whitelist (for uncloaked CNAMEs) wasn't working before, so I guess the new feature isn't implemented for the global scope.

KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2020-05-07, 08:32

Now that I installed it, and figured out how to use it through trial and error, I have 2 questions:

— If a certain website is blocked outright unless I tell ηMatrix to "do nothing just this once", can I permanently whitelist the domain somehow?

— By using ηMatrix, am I making uBlock Origin completely unnecessary?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-05-07, 08:58

KlarkKentThe3rd wrote:
2020-05-07, 08:32
— By using ηMatrix, am I making uBlock Origin completely unnecessary?
Yes
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2020-05-07, 23:58

Well..... that is technically untrue. Because with that 1 website I don't know how to whitelist, uBlock is useful by doing its job.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-05-08, 00:50

Also uBlock can hide DOM elements that uMatrix can't. Blocking ads still leaves blank areas on pages where the ad banner was supposed to appear - the element picker is handy here to create rules to collapse and get rid of them. Plus filter out specific scripts from a given domain as opposed to uMatrix which is either on or off per domain.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2020-05-08, 07:32

There's going to be some disparity between the two extensions wrt feature list and mode of operation. But the the main thing is that both of these are used to block content and get rid of unnecessary stuff on websites, and in general Matrix will block more stuff that Origin Block (think of superset). So, yes, having Matrix makes the Block Origin unnecessary.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-05-08, 08:02

Small variations aside they do perform the same task; having multiple blocking extensions for the same type of content installed might also not be a good idea because they may interact badly (e.g. one trying to remove something the other is already removing) so choosing one or the other would be the way to go.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-05-08, 08:36

I try not to subscribe to the same lists in both. uBO has lists that include DOM/CSS filters which are useless for u/eMatrix.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2020-05-09, 05:00

I think I will reinstall uBO and disable it per site.

Also, still want to learn how to whitelist a site in Matrix. I don't want to just "allow everything, block nothing".

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-05-09, 06:37

KlarkKentThe3rd wrote:
2020-05-09, 05:00
I don't want to just "allow everything, block nothing".
You have that backwards - by default it blocks everything and you have to make exceptions for what's allowed. That's what a whitelist is. Click on the grid cell corresponding to the permission - clicking the upper part makes it green (allow), lower part red (deny). If it's pink, then it is being denied by default. If you want a permission to be globally applied, click the asterisk at the top left in the top row (next to the hostname of the page you're on) to switch to global scope.

KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2020-05-09, 06:52

I did not get it backwards, you just did not understand. There is nothing I could click to make nMatrix run the site, it would prevent the site from even attempting to load. All I could do was click the "on/off" symbol, which simply allowed all scripts.

The site is 4shared.com by the way, I used to store movies and music there, and it was a surprise to me to learn that nMatrix hates it.