Does Pale Moon have a 'Task Manager'?

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Mike_Walsh
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Does Pale Moon have a 'Task Manager'?

Unread post by Mike_Walsh » 2020-04-27, 11:06

Morning, guys.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I am absolute rubbish at searching through forums of any stripe. Quite simply, does Pale Moon have an equivalent to the built-in 'Task Manager' used in most other browsers?

I was never a big user of the older Mozilla browsers, so never found out if this sort of thing even existed.....I'm kinda guessing here, it's true, but I'm assuming that many of the older processes/keyboard shortcuts from these earlier browsers are sort of the same in Pale Moon, since it's adapted from the earlier code-base?

Feel free to "have a pop" at me for asking a stupid question, if you want.

Mike. ;)
Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Does Pale Moon have a 'Task Manager'?

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-04-27, 11:24

No, because we are only one process EXCEPT for npapi plugins and even then that is by default. YOU CAN run npapi plugins in-process if you want.

This has been asked before but only once as far as I can remember. Sure isn't the same question everyone asks half-a-dozen times a month like some OTHERS. So it is more (more but not completely) understandable you may not have found the right combo of search terms to find it.

I am not sure how Mozilla handles that concept since they enabled e10s by default nor do I really care cause lolmozillasucks and all that :P

HOWEVER, I don't see what this has to do with Linux specifically, so please try and post in the correct boards.

MODERATOR: Please put this thread elsewhere.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-04-27, 14:23

Task manager is meaningless for a single process browser as Tobin described. As of now, Pale Moon is the only one that isn't multiprocess, so not surprising many people think that having multiprocess is somehow essential to all browsers.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-04-27, 15:48

Just Pale Moon? So not Basilisk, not my applications, not the Hyperbola applications? Just Pale Moon, huh.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-04-27, 16:24

Ah, my bad. All UXP based apps would be a more accurate take? Since I doubt anyone is going to tack on e10s or anything like it.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2020-04-27, 16:39

I just use the puppy task manager for a rough estimate.No need for specifics and pale moon has always run good.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Mike_Walsh
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Mike_Walsh » 2020-04-28, 09:40

Ah, fair comment, guys. Like so many others, I'm that used to multi-process browsers that I kind of assumed Pale Moon was crafted along the same lines. I stand corrected....

This doubtless explains, in part, why Pale Moon is so blazingly fast (especially in 'Puppy', which is super-lightweight to begin with). OK; thanks for the info, and the explanation. I can now pass on the information to the Puppian who asked me about this over at Murga-linux the other day. And apologies for putting this in the Linux section; wasn't deliberate, I just don't use anything else.....so never considered it any further!

Cheers.

Mike. ;)
Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

[ghost]

Unread post by [ghost] » 2020-05-17, 22:57

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-04-27, 11:24
No, because we are only one process EXCEPT for npapi plugins
Moderator note: Unnecessary quoting of whole post removed. Please follow the forum rules and quote selectively.

Incorrect, there is about:performance.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-05-18, 00:35

techboyg5 wrote:
2020-05-17, 22:57
Incorrect, there is about:performance.
...which is not at all the same thing.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite