When you set dark styles in Xfce, the font in the google trends search bar turns white

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
inFlowiaLab

When you set dark styles in Xfce, the font in the google trends search bar turns white

Unread post by inFlowiaLab » 2020-04-18, 13:50

If in Xfce choose a shell style:
- Materia-dark
- Blackbird
- Adwaita dark
it becomes impossible to read the text of the search query on the internal pages of Google Trends. The problem does not occur on the first page: https://trends.google.com/trends/?geo=RU but on the next after entering a search query

Ubutnu Studio 19.10 (Xfce
Pale Moon 28.9.1 (x64)
In vanilla profile - the same.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: When you set dark styles in Xfce, the font in the google trends search bar turns white

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-04-18, 14:58

... and why exactly do you think specifically that this is a browser issue?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: When you set dark styles in Xfce, the font in the google trends search bar turns white

Unread post by adesh » 2020-04-18, 16:01

inFlowiaLab,

This happens when websites fail to define one of background and foreground (text) colors. In such a case, missing color is picked from system theme and the result generally does not look pretty.

inFlowiaLab

Unread post by inFlowiaLab » 2020-04-18, 16:28

Moonchild wrote:
2020-04-18, 14:58
Because in Firefox everything is ok ...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-04-18, 19:02

inFlowiaLab wrote:
2020-04-18, 16:28
Moonchild wrote:
2020-04-18, 14:58
Because in Firefox everything is ok ...
Then Firefox doesn't do it right ...

I checked. It's an <input> element, meaning a form element which is styled as system style by default unless the page overrides the style.
Foreground colour on the input isn't set, so defaults to -moz-fieldtext, which is the system-defined colour (which is white on dark themes)
Background is set to transparent, overriding the system colour, so it picks up the colour of whatever opaque element behind it which is the container DIV which sets the background to white explicitly

Result: white text on white background, caused by poor page design.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

inFlowiaLab

Unread post by inFlowiaLab » 2020-04-19, 09:03

From an end-user perspective, Firefox is doing well.
I just started using the dark color scheme yesterday, and today I ran into this problem a second time. And this is the site Yandex.ru, namely its form in the "Yandex.Collections" service.
If you don’t know, Yandex for Russia is like Google for the rest of the world. That is a categorically important and respected site. I think this means that I will encounter such a problem more than once on other sites if I continue to use the dark color scheme, and I doubt that I will be able to contact all site owners and ask them to fix this problem.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-04-19, 09:10

inFlowiaLab wrote:
2020-04-19, 09:03
From an end-user perspective, Firefox is doing well.
Good for Firefox.
Unless you want the browser to completely ignore system colors and never style native controls using them, there is no way around dealing with this website error. Pale Moon is doing exactly what it is supposed to be doing.
inFlowiaLab wrote:
2020-04-19, 09:03
And this is the site Yandex.ru, namely its form in the "Yandex.Collections" service.
Just because they are big doesn't excuse them from properly styling their websites.
I think this means that I will encounter such a problem more than once on other sites if I continue to use the dark color scheme, and I doubt that I will be able to contact all site owners and ask them to fix this problem.
And why not? All it takes is a minute to send them a message alerting them to the problem in their styling. The problem is the website, you are using their service and you are unhappy with their error in their design. Nowhere does that involve us as a browser developer. You should solve it with them.

Lootyhoof
Themeist
Themeist

Unread post by Lootyhoof » 2020-04-19, 11:49

It looks like Firefox basically just works around this in a weird way (bug #1527048) by forcing use of the Adwaita theme for content controls. Not really system-native at that point, though.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-04-19, 11:59

Yet another hack.

Honestly, they should use some of that waning influence they still have to advocate for proper web design, not just hack around errors this way.

mr tribute
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mr tribute » 2020-04-19, 13:11

Mozilla is drinking the Gnome kool-aid. Gnome considers all GTK3 themes "a hack". Adwaita means "One and Only" and the tooltip for the theme says "There is only one".

So as much as I like GTK2, GTK3 isn't the future for Linux customization. GTK3 just removed all menu icons from LibreOffice so I'm still using GTK2 integration there.

So in a way, Mozilla is doing what GTK/Gnome tells them. There is only one GTK3 theme: Adwaita. Everything else is a hack.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-04-19, 14:52

This hack won't work on GTK2. Also, Moonchild check your logs because we have discussed this before.

The short of it is GTK3 can set theme as an environmental varable and indeed a user can too on their launcher or cli using env.

But again, this will ONLY work if it is GTK3 even if we did the hack.

mr tribute
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mr tribute » 2020-04-19, 15:17

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-04-19, 14:52
This hack won't work on GTK2. Also, Moonchild check your logs because we have discussed this before.

The short of it is GTK3 can set theme as an environmental varable and indeed a user can too on their launcher or cli using env.

But again, this will ONLY work if it is GTK3 even if we did the hack.
FYI: GTK2 can also set themes as environment variables:

https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/how-to- ... tions/2514

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-04-19, 15:36

But that isn't a feature all GTK2 Linux distros have, I have actually tried it before. Doesn't matter anyway cause no such hack is being considered at this time.

The core issue of course remains with poor web design choices and thus not our problem.

RESOLVED WONTFIX

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-04-19, 16:43

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-04-19, 14:52
Also, Moonchild check your logs because we have discussed this before.
Sir, yes, sir!