Having to sign in every other day.

About this bulletin board and the Pale Moon website

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Having to sign in every other day.

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-04-08, 09:31

It's just something I noticed, I get signed out from the forum after a couple of days and have to sign in again. Not a problem since I've saved the credentials, but I'm wondering if this was changed at the website level, or is it something at my end.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Having to sign in every other day.

Unread post by Night Wing » 2020-04-08, 10:03

I'm always logged in to the forum. Been this way for over 8 years. So I'm thinking it is something on your end causing the problem.

At this time I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.9.0.2 running in 64 bit linux Mint 19.3 (Tricia) Xfce. The only addons/extensions I'm using are NoSquint and uBlock Origion with UBO disabled for this forum. The PMF site sees my user agent mode as Firefox Compatibility.

I do use a theme for linux Pale Moon and it is Micro Moon.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-04-08, 10:31

Your logged-in sessions should resume normally unless you're clearing required website data, your IP changes regularly, or any of the other criteria that phpBB uses to determine whether your return visit is to be trusted. Extensions/blockers can play a big part here. Cookie settings and caching also.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-04-08, 10:38

I haven't changed anything, maybe clearing the cache will help.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2020-04-12, 12:46

Moonchild wrote:
2020-04-08, 10:31
Your logged-in sessions should resume normally...
They're not. It gets worse... I leave a window with a couple of tabs on palemoon.org open a couple of days. I go to a tab and refresh {CTRL}{R} and find I'm logged out. I log in and check the stuff on that subforum.

Then I go to the other tab and refresh {CTRL}{R}. I'm logged out on that tab, and have to log in on that tab, even though I just logged in to palemoon.org in the other thread.

Notes...
  • Yes, I'm using the official AMD64 Pale Moon 28.9.1, on Gentoo linux, not my homebrew version.
  • This has started in the last month or so. Can you check whether the hosting service has done any upgrades recently?
  • This behaviour does NOT happen on Slashdot or Bitchute or DSLReports or any other webforum I frequent. With them I can close Pale Moon entirely, and restart, and I'm logged in. This appears to be a website problem not a webbrowser problem. My first guess is that the website is handing out session cookies with a short lifetime, expiring after 24 hours or so.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2020-04-12, 13:37

I am logged in on two different computers with "remember me". I am always logged in to forum no matter how often I restart the browser. My IP also changes multiple times a day, so that's also not an issue.

BTW, the log out can happen if you try to share same profile (session/cookies) between two browser instances.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-04-12, 16:25

Walter Dnes wrote:
2020-04-12, 12:46
This has started in the last month or so. Can you check whether the hosting service has done any upgrades recently?
Nothing has changed on the hosting side. Even if so, they'd better not touch the contents of my VM without my knowledge ;)
Walter Dnes wrote:
2020-04-12, 12:46
My first guess is that the website is handing out session cookies with a short lifetime, expiring after 24 hours or so.
Your guess is wrong. In fact, the sessions tagged with "remember me" will last for 90 days.

It doesn't matter how many tabs you have open to the forum. Once you're logged in, that's it. You will be logged in in all tabs. UNLESS you don't allow the necessary storage in which case it will be php session bound which has a short lifetime (and your URLs will in most cases have an sid= parameter in them in that case)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-04-12, 17:46

If there was an issue server side I would know because I would be affected as I have a few specific and touchy sessions on the forum. They only break down when there is a legit issue. Since they haven't there isn't one and so whatever your issues are they are your issues not ours.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2020-04-13, 01:39

Moonchild wrote:
2020-04-12, 16:25
UNLESS you don't allow the necessary storage in which case it will be php session bound which has a short lifetime (and your URLs will in most cases have an sid= parameter in them in that case)
Thank you very much. That seems to have been the problem. The URLs did have "sid=".I looked at settings in my "Pale Moon" profile. ALL cookies/storage were blocked. This was a surprise, because I go out of my way to enable site cookies for any webforum profiles that I set up.

I don't recall having changed any settings in this profile recently, so I don't know why this problem popped up recently. A bit of experimentation shows that enabling all cookies, including 3rd-party, allows me to close the window, and restart with all tabs logged in. Again, thanks for your help. This looks like it's solved for me. If @moonbat can check his settings under "Privacy", we might mark this thread "SOLVED".
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2020-04-13, 09:05

Walter Dnes wrote:
2020-04-13, 01:39
A bit of experimentation shows that enabling all cookies, including 3rd-party, allows me to close the window, and restart with all tabs logged in.
Off-topic:
Forum does work even with first party cookies like most sites do, but enabling all cookies won't hurt too.

Walter Dnes
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Walter Dnes » 2020-04-13, 12:11

adesh wrote:
2020-04-13, 09:05
Off-topic:
Forum does work even with first party cookies like most sites do, but enabling all cookies won't hurt too.
Thanks. That works too. I was being cautious. BTW, talking about settings for logging into the forum seems totally on topic in the "Forum and website" sub-forum.
There's a right way
There's a wrong way
And then there's my way