Can't download image from pixabay Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
inFlowiaLab

Can't download image from pixabay

Unread post by inFlowiaLab » 2020-04-02, 08:07

On page https://pixabay.com/photos/ford-auto-ve ... e-1730889/
i press "free download", select size, 1280x853, enter captcha, press download, a browser dialog appears where I have to choose: "open" or "save as" file. I choose save as, the dialog disappears but nothing happens. File not downloaded and this problem has occurred periodically and earlier on other sites.
If I download this image through Firefox - everything is fine.

Pale Moon 28.9.0.2 64-bit

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Can't download image from pixabay

Unread post by Night Wing » 2020-04-02, 10:14

Since I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 28.9.0.2 running in 64 bit linux Mint 19.3 (Tricia) Xfce, I thought I would give your Pixabay a shot. BTW, I don't own a Pixabay account.

After clicking on your link, I was taken to the site where a big red Ford engine, coming through the hood is shown. I "did not" left click on the big green "Download" button. Instead, I right clicked right on the picture of the red colored Ford and a context window pop opened.

In the context window, I chose "save image as" and another context window opened up with the title already highlighted. In Xfce, I chose to download the image to my Desktop since the Dekstop button was already highlighted. Then I left clicked on "Save" and the Pale Moon's "Download Upside Down Pointed Arrow" button was lit.

I then left clicked on the PM's download arrow and it confirmed the image was downloaded. I then left clicked on my "minimize all open windows button" which took me to my Desktop and the downloaded Ford engine icon was there. Then I right clicked on the icon and a context window opened up.

In the context window, I left clicked on "Open with Image Viewer" and the Ford engine was there for me. And then I could have saved the image to my Mint's Pictures folder if I had wanted to, but I did not and the image icon is still sitting on my Desktop.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-04-02, 10:55

Following the steps in the OP and I can't reproduce the issue. Was able to save the 1280 jpeg to my desktop fine.

inFlowiaLab

Unread post by inFlowiaLab » 2020-04-02, 10:55

I tried to save by pressing the right button on the image and the option "save image as ..." but nothing happens. The save dialog does not appear.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2020-04-02, 12:20

The image downloads fine here too, with either method (using the exact steps in the first post, or via right-click > context menu > save as).

Have you checked your adblocker settings?

Try in safe mode.

inFlowiaLab

Unread post by inFlowiaLab » 2020-04-03, 05:51

I do not use adblocker.
Today I tried to do the same on the MATE 1.22.2 shells installed on the same Xubuntu 19.10 - the same behavior as on Xfce - I can’t download it.

inFlowiaLab

Unread post by inFlowiaLab » 2020-04-03, 17:19

I tried it on Ubuntu Studio 19.10 and it downloads normally. Apparently this is a problem specifically that OS installation.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2020-04-04, 02:40

inFlowiaLab wrote:
2020-04-03, 17:19
on Ubuntu Studio 19.10 ... it downloads normally. Apparently this is a problem specifically that OS installation.
coffeebreak wrote:
2020-04-02, 12:20
Try in safe mode.
The problem is specific to your browser profile in the PM installation in the other OS.

If the problem persists in safe mode, test in a fresh, vanilla profile.

inFlowiaLab

Unread post by inFlowiaLab » 2020-04-06, 11:01

Successfully downloaded on a clean vanilla profile. In safe mode did not download.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2020-04-06, 15:46

That sounds like your problem is caused by some custom setting(s).
I'm afraid I don't know what setting (or settings combination) might cause this.

You can try troubleshooting by flipping your personal settings one by one.

Or in the alternative, try resetting all prefs to default values using the option presented during the safe mode dialog.
(first back up prefs.js in your profile)
safemode-dialog.png

inFlowiaLab

Unread post by inFlowiaLab » 2020-04-07, 09:03

Yes, I have already solved the problem. Inadvertently dropped the entire profile when starting safe mode. With all the bookmarks ... Ok! No profile is a problem. Created a new one - downloading works well)