Previous tabs and sessions

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
kitanokuma

html pages not kept from one session to the next

Unread post by kitanokuma » 2020-03-25, 09:29

linux ubuntu 18.04
palemoon 28.9.0 (64 bits)

Since the upgrade to 28.9.0, my choice at opening (I retranslate into English from French):
show last tabs and windows
is no longer enforced.

Even if I can see the correct title on the tab, the page is blank and if I force a refresh I obtain a new blank tab.

andreliddle

Previous tabs and sessions

Unread post by andreliddle » 2020-03-25, 10:40

For some time now the option "show my windows and tabs from last time" does not work. The privacy settings are to remember history and the Tab Plus is also set to "show my windows and tabs from last time" (from the Firefox settings).
This is most annoying, as many times, I have a number of tabs open when I have to close down to travel, and then when I restart Pale Moon the tabs are gone and the previous session option is either greyed out or shows me todays tabs.
Please advise.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: html pages not kept from one session to the next

Unread post by therube » 2020-03-25, 10:52

Are you using an extension to facilitate your session restores, or are you using PM's built-in Session Restore feature?

andreliddle appears to be using an extension in his case & his problem seems to have pre-dated 28.9.0.1.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Previous tabs and sessions

Unread post by therube » 2020-03-25, 10:54

Link to this "Tab Plus"?

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: html pages not kept from one session to the next

Unread post by therube » 2020-03-25, 11:02

Confirmed.

At times, built-in Session Restore restores tabs as blank (about:blank, actually).

Don't know if it's pertinent?

Code: Select all

Content Security Policy: Ignoring ‘x-frame-options’ because of ‘frame-ancestors’ directive.  
(unknown)
DARLA notice: 405  
I have PM set, on Startup, to, Show my windows and tabs from last time, & Home Page: as about:blank.
I installed uBlock Origin 1.16.4.20 & that's about it.
I quit from, File | Exit.

This occurs even after removing uBlock.

"Tab history" (right-click on the back-arrow) may show actual history, or may show about:blank or combinations depending on how much history a tab has.

Two windows, four tabs in each.
Started with a new Profile. Only changes as noted above.

Win7 x64, PM 28.9.0.1 x64.
i5-3570K, Intel HD 4000 graphics (on chip)

Oh, & some times, a tab (not focused yet) will show the correct name, but when you actually focus the name, it reverts to about:blank.

Setting Home Page: to default, Pale Moon Start Page, does not change anything.
Alt | File | Restart... does the same.

In my case, only dealing with only two windows, the first window does not appear to be affected.
The first tab in the second window seems to persist. All others are likely to end up end up blank.

Perhaps related?
Changed the browser's behavior when restoring tabs from previous sessions. To prevent stale pages, it will now by default perform a "soft refresh" of the page instead of drawing it purely from cache without checking if the page needs updating. If you prefer the old behavior, set browser.sessionstore.cache_behavior to 0 in about:config.
A quick looks says that's it.
Can you push a "soft fix" to revert that Pref?

I'm running the Portable version of PM.
Portable disables /cache/ by default.
But setting browser.cache.disk.enable;true does not help me for this issue.

So far, only setting browser.sessionstore.cache_behavior;0 works.

(Separately, the long standing issue with closed windows being restored on opening from Session Restore still exists, & also window ordering along the [Windows] taskbar.)

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-03-25, 12:14

If it's just a matter of keeping pages within sessions, then why don't you use bookmarks?
You can then delete them if you don't need them anymore. It's certainly more reliable than tabs, especially when there are some pages you visit everyday.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-03-25, 13:52

Merged topics ; will revert this change for causing issues for some people for as of yet unknown reasons.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

rseiler

Unread post by rseiler » 2020-03-25, 15:38

Mentioning this because it may be related, but since this week's versions, and never before, I'm seeing tabs restored in reverse order (oldest on the right) with about every other start of PM. I'm set for "show my windows and tabs from last time" but am using Tab Mix Plus.

[PCMartin]

Unread post by [PCMartin] » 2020-03-25, 20:04

This seems like the most appropriate topic for me to post under...

Background: I'm writing about Pale Moon x64 for Windows, which I run on post-end-of-life Windows 7. I use Firefox extension Session Manager 0.8.1.7 and Pale Moon extension Tab Mix Plus 0.5.8.1 and consider both to be among my most important extensions. I also use Steve Pusser's Pale Moon PPA in Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon, with a nearly identical user profile (except for one Windows-only extension), but I haven't updated it to 28.9 yet and will probably hold off on doing that until this problem is resolved. All of my tabs, pinned and unpinned, are set to "restore on demand."

Problem: Beginning with 28.9 yesterday, and continuing with 28.9.0.1 today, based on several browser restarts and several "cold" starts:
  • After a browser restart, all restored tabs except the first (leftmost) pinned tab are replaced by blank "new" tabs when selected. (Again, all of my tabs, pinned and unpinned, are set to "restore on demand.")
  • After a "cold" browser start, and after loading a previous Session Manager session, the first (leftmost) unpinned tab is replaced by a Google Search page when selected. (Google is still, with ever-increasing reluctance and remorse, my default search provider.) Other tabs seem to load properly.
Possible Workaround: Never restart Pale Moon. Instead, exit, save the session, and do a cold start. Then, after loading a browsing session, right-click the first (leftmost) unpinned tab and choose Duplicate Tab. The original tab is replaced by a Google Search page when selected, but the duplicated tab loads properly.

Unfortunately, I'm a "non-technical" user and have no way of even guessing what might be going on, but I get the impression from previous posts that this general class of problem may not be limited to sessions restored by Session Manager. I hope the source of the problem can be readily traced to whatever code changes occurred in 28.9 and is fixable without too much effort.

In the alternative, perhaps the old Firefox Session Manager extension is a good candidate for forking. I even have a suggestion for improvement that was never acted on by the original pre-WebExtensions-Firefox developers...

Until some clear answer/solution emerges, I think I will probably downgrade to 28.8.4 in Windows and hold off on upgrading in Linux Mint.

As always, I appreciate Pale Moon's commitment to user control and privacy, and I hope all of your coders and users and their families are staying safe and healthy. I've been sick and self-isolated for a couple of weeks, unable to get tested, but with no sign of pneumonia so far ... "hooray," I guess? All the best.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2020-03-25, 20:34

Quick looks say 28.9.0.2 is OK.

rseiler

Unread post by rseiler » 2020-03-27, 01:28

rseiler wrote:
2020-03-25, 15:38
Mentioning this because it may be related, but since this week's versions, and never before, I'm seeing tabs restored in reverse order (oldest on the right) with about every other start of PM. I'm set for "show my windows and tabs from last time" but am using Tab Mix Plus.
Does anyone else see this happening? It still does here even with the latest 0.2 release. It's the oddest thing, since it's basically every other run.

[PCMartin]

Unread post by [PCMartin] » 2020-03-27, 19:49

I feel stupid now, because I had skimmed through the release notes for 28.9 before upgrading, but apparently this one didn't fully register:
  • Changed the browser's behavior when restoring tabs from previous sessions. To prevent stale pages, it will now by default perform a "soft refresh" of the page instead of drawing it purely from cache without checking if the page needs updating. If you prefer the old behavior, set browser.sessionstore.cache_behavior to 0 in about:config.
At any rate, I downgraded to 28.8.4, and the problem was fixed ... and after reading the release notes to 28.9.0.2 and finally taking in the full import of the earlier release note, above, I upgraded to 28.9.0.2, and the problem appears to remain fixed. I've done several restarts, and several exit+starts, and I haven't noticed any problems with saved tabs not being properly restored.

Many thanks to the developers, who have (once again) been quick to effectively respond to problem reports.

PS: The above pertains to Pale Moon for Windows, as Steve Pusser's Ubuntu PPA hadn't been updated last I checked yesterday (an unusually long delay, in my experience). However, I have no reason to expect different results in Pale Moon for Linux.