How to activate webcam in Zoom

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
14themoon

How to activate webcam in Zoom

Unread post by 14themoon » 2020-03-22, 02:16

I set up a new Zoom account on my Lenovo Laptop T540p and I am unable to get the webcam to work. The image at the bottom of the screen has an icon of a camera with a red slash through it. I'm unable to activate the camera. The audio, however, works fine. Can someone explain how to open the webcam? I am using Debian 10. Thank youj.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: How to activate webcam in Zoom

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-03-22, 12:18

As far as I know, Pale Moon does not support webcams. Try with Basilisk.

THX-1139
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by THX-1139 » 2020-03-22, 13:25

A Webcam needs a Webcam client (program) to work, usually included with the product. No browser is necessary for it to
function,even using skype you don't need a browser IIRC.
From what little detail you provided in your OP I think this is what you may be looking for: https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/202952568-My-Video-Camera-Isn-t-Working
Pale Moon 32.5.0 (64) Win7 pro (64) Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz-16 GB DDR3

"The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove they're not a robot."

"Man needs difficulties; they are necessary for health." ~Carl Jung

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2020-03-22, 14:23

I appreciate that. But I already have a Zoom account installed and I've tried it at home. The audio works fine and I can see the other party but the other party doesn't see me. I have heard that with webcam Trojans out there, the default is sometime "disabled" and you have to turn it on to get it to work. I just don't know how to do that. There must be a way, I just don't know what it is. Thanks again.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2020-03-22, 16:27

@ 14themoon

I can't help you with your webcam problem simply because I don't use Debian 10. I use Linut Mint in the XFCE desktop environment. In order to use a webcam in linux Mint, we have to install a utility program named, "Cheese".

This utility program allows us to see the other person and the other person can see us via webcams. Cheese is not installed by default in Mint. Cheese is in the Mint repositories. In order to install Cheese in Mint, I use the Synaptic Package Manager so I don't have to mess with the linux terminal.

Ask in the Debian forums and see if they have an equivalent program.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

EMH_Mark_I
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by EMH_Mark_I » 2020-03-23, 06:02

Use the desktop client. Zoom supports Linux distributions, check it out!

https://zoom.us/download?os=linux
Devuan Ceres | XFCE4
"Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the Lord thy God, he it is that doth go with thee; he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee."

Spudozo

Unread post by Spudozo » 2020-03-24, 18:18

Excuse my ignorance but where does Pale Moon come into the Zoom equation?

I have Zoom installed (Linux Mint - Mate) direct from their download site and it works - I thought - stand alone.

I must get out more - Oh I forgot: 'lock-down'!

Cheers.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-03-24, 21:03

Spudozo wrote:
2020-03-24, 18:18
where does Pale Moon come into the Zoom equation?
They probably have a "web application version" to run in browsers. Very likely only working properly in Chrome and/or clones and/or browsers with WebRTC.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

mmouse
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by mmouse » 2020-03-25, 22:53

"browsers supporting WebRtc'

any chance that Palemoon supports it ? I read here that well, not a chance:

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=23292#p178689

is WebRTC evil and if yes why ?
I have just setup a JitsiMeet instance and the WebRTC interface is the preferred way to connect to it, in fact it's the only supported way. JitsiMeet works more or less with Firefox, Basilisk connects but seems not to work, and Palemoon refuses (of course) to do anything with micro and camera. That's not a reason to give up on Palemoon, but I'd prefer to keep this Firefox instance only for reference, not for real use.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-03-26, 02:51

Search the forum but tl;dr it is a privacy nightmare and the userbase voted against it being in Pale Moon. But it is in Basilisk but not much attention goes into webrtc development.

mmouse
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by mmouse » 2020-03-26, 22:30

If the question has been asked it could be a candidate for a FAQ (that I searched before posting)
And if you don't mind there is something difficult to understand between 'it's a privacy nightmare' and 'it's in Basilisk'.

Anyway Zoom seems indeed a privacy nightmare
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/k7e5 ... ok-account
but the culprit is (the use of) GraphQl, not WebRtc itself.

14themoon

Unread post by 14themoon » 2020-03-29, 17:11

With respect to the question about "Why Pale Moon at all with Zoom?" it's because if you're entering as a guest, you need to get to the email invite from the host. You find that through email which of course is accessed through your browser. I find it works on Chrome but not with Pale Moon. The same is true of WebEx on which I joined a conversation this morning. I got nothing when I entered through Pale Moon. Then I accessed the link through Chrome and--voila--I got right in! I have Cheese incidentally and I don't see where that helps. So is that these webcam sites are not supported by Pale Moon?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-03-29, 17:33

Pale Moon does not support the technology they are using but that isn't the ONLY way that sites could offer the features. So it is in this singular instance a mutual incompatibility because we don't support the specific technology they want and they refuse to support any other technology.

This has been discussed on this forum before.. You should search for it.