Basilisk 32-bit Linux builds

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

Do you want these builds?

Yes
42%
No
25%
Don't care
33%

Total votes: 12

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Basilisk 32-bit Linux builds

Unread post by adesh » 2020-03-12, 19:14

Download here: https://nextcloud-fi.webo.hosting/s/kco7k9tHjNz45dk

This is a continuation of Have mercy on us 32-bit souls

I know 32-bit computing is dead but accessibility is a big thing for me. I do not use Basilisk myself and these builds are only provided so some people in the community do not feel left behind.

These builds are just unbranded version of Basilisk built with close-to-official build configuration. No code changes were made.

I've attached a never ending poll to see if there is actually any need for this. I'll try my best to provide these builds if there is at least one person who says "Yes".

arkaland
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Re: Basilisk 32-bit Linux builds

Unread post by arkaland » 2020-03-12, 20:29

adesh,
32-bit computing may be unofficially "dead", but there are still some of us who are still using (and will continue to use for good reasons) 32-bit computers. I did not cast a vote since I don't use Basilisk (I'm a longtime Linux Pale Moon user), but I've been dreading the day that Pale Moon is no longer available in an official 32-bit build. As far as I know, that's supposed to be the case by the end of November.
I myself would be very, very grateful if you (or someone else) could put out a decent 32-bit build of Pale Moon when that time comes (I simply cannot compile it myself on my computer).
Just a suggestion (I do hope it's not just wishful thinking), but I'm quite certain that there are others who would also be very interested in that.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-03-12, 22:01

Well, looks like you got your required "1 vote"
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-03-13, 14:14

Just what we need more unsupported unbranded builds.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-03-13, 15:23

I guess I'll have to upgrade the unofficial branding.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2020-03-15, 08:41

arkaland wrote:
2020-03-12, 20:29
I myself would be very, very grateful if you (or someone else) could put out a decent 32-bit build of Pale Moon when that time comes (I simply cannot compile it myself on my computer).
Let's see. I have no objection if the God permits.
Moonchild wrote:
2020-03-12, 22:01
Well, looks like you got your required "1 vote"
Didn't expect it within a day. Maybe I should raise the bar! :P

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2020-03-15, 09:12

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-03-13, 14:14
Just what we need more unsupported unbranded builds.
Moonchild wrote:
2020-03-13, 15:23
I guess I'll have to upgrade the unofficial branding.
Please note that I'll not do this if you have any objection (even if the license/branding/law allows it). I understand unsupported builds can be a problem causing fragmentation, unnecessary support requests, confusion etc.

Off-topic:
I did this because there was no objection from project governance in the past, though someone from the community had a problem with the branding. Now I feel like I should just stop doing everything. I already have a difficult life; last thing I want is more burden, fight and disagreement. I think my main form of contribution to this project is going to be monetary only. Though I'd keep reporting bugs and helping community support requests, I'd try to avoid coding/compiling work for others. I'd act selfish and shall not share my work!

Please excuse the tone of the post, and take what you want from it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-03-16, 09:12

Well the thing is I can't stop you if you really want to make them, and it's your call if you really thinkit should be done, but I would greatly prefer you didn't.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2020-03-16, 10:44

Cool. I'll not do it. Preference is honoured.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-03-16, 10:53

Thanks, it's appreciated.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-03-16, 14:34

That being settled. We still like you adesh and hope that the earlier post was just a bad day for you and also hope that you don't see too many of those in general.

arkaland
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by arkaland » 2020-03-17, 18:04

Moonchild and Tobin,
I am both baffles and sorely disappointed by your reactions to adesh's attempted willingness to help those of us who must stick with 32-bit computers. Many, like yours truly, are longtime Pale Moon users who simply will NOT be able to "upgrade" Pale Moon anymore with any "official" build after November. As adesh put it in the original post, "I do not use Basilisk myself and these builds are only provided so some people in the community do not feel left behind."

The sad truth is that without some sort of "unofficial" build, people like me will be left behind. I realize that you guys have little (if any) regard for 32-bit, and that a number of other Web browsers have
discontinued putting out 32-bit releases, but Pale Moon has always been known as an "alternative" browser, and it has been a very good one for years now. I did not notice that adesh needed any "help" in order to build a 32-bit version of Basilisk, so why would he need any to do the same for Pale Moon near the end of this year?
Why should "branding" or "unsupported" status be such a stumbling block? Why should you in effect practically force us 32-bit users to search for a different Web browser near the end of the year? In short, please, please "have a heart" and reconsider your reactions.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-03-17, 18:27

This has nothing to do with other browsers. This has to do with strict requirement of the system and infrastructure that an official build is produced on.

In order for it to run on old distros and old systems it has to be produced on an old version of a distro from that era. That means EL 6 with its 2.12 glibc version. RHEL/CentOS 6 is end of life in November. After that there will not be a suitable platform with suitable tools and dependencies for producing official compatible release quality binaries.

If we continue using old and insecure build infra something will go wrong eventually and if we use something else or something newer it will never be as genericly compatible and will still leave people behind maybe including you depending on what you run.

So the choice is to slowly leave more and more behind as linux32 continues to disappear from the landscape causing long term frustration or set a date for it to be retired and give people plenty of notice.

We simply can not produce a high quality widely compatible generic binary after November for linux 32 bit systems. However, you can roll your own for your own personal use and distro specific packagers can produce packages targeting their remaining 32 bit systems.

That is the situation and those are the facts. If you still don't understand or you feel that you don't need to bother to then none of us can do much for you.

As an aside, if none of us had any regard for linux 32bit we would have killed it 3 years ago like some including me thought we should or I would have taken advantage of the absence of Travis last year to tell you to fuck off and ended 32bit linux then and there instead of rediscovering the secrets of how to produce the compatible 32 bit generic binary again. Which, btw, was quite frustrating but I accomplished in the end.

So do not try and guilt or shame us into doing this forever. You will not survive the attempt.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2020-03-17, 20:31

I am on 32bit at the moment as this laptop was given to me by my father..i do plan on upgrading at some point in the year.
Just out of general curiousity how long could a november 32bit build be used for past the EOL.?...Just for general use mind.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-03-17, 21:05

3-4 weeks, sec point updates not withstanding. Same as if it continued.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2020-03-17, 21:06, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-03-17, 21:05

Moonraker wrote:
2020-03-17, 20:31
Just out of general curiousity how long could a november 32bit build be used for past the EOL.?...Just for general use mind.
You could use it indefinitely, but since the web browser is your primary interface to a potentially very hostile web, you have to wonder whether you should. And I'd say you generally shouldn't keep using a browser that is at the very most more than a few months behind in security updates (although some things depend on exactly what new vulnerabilities have been found, of course) because it's taking an increasing risk as time progresses (more so than e.g. O.S. updates that generally don't deal with hostile environments directly).