ηMatrix/eMatrix support thread

Dedicated board for extension releases/support threads

Moderators: FranklinDM, Lootyhoof

Forum rules
Please do not create new topics here unless you are an extension author in need of a dedicated releases&support thread!
vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: ηMatrix/eMatrix support thread

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-01-31, 21:33

Does it happen on a clean profile?
(Though yeah I might have missed a closed parentheses. Sorry, just delete it and try again. I'm a bit unable to right now...)

Suetonius

Unread post by Suetonius » 2020-02-03, 16:18

Hi, the icon of ematrix is not very stable and sensitive to changes in the toolbar caused by manual positioning of icons or new addon installations. ematrix icon disappears reproducibly both from toolbar and and customize window by installing following addons and restarting browser: HTTPS Always 5.2.24, HTTPS Inquirer 0.93. Same problems with some versions of umatrix except umatrix 0.9.3.6 which is the most stable. Anyone else out there with similar problems? Hope it can be fixed sooner or later. :?: Best regards :wave:

P.S.: My post applies to all versions of ematrix. Last examinations have been made by using version 4.1.5

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-02-03, 18:32

It's a known problem, but I don't know what causes it yet so I can't fix it, sorry.

Edit: using an uncustomized profile (it's not 100% clean since it's for development, but I didn't really touch any particular setting especially in about:config) I can't reproduce it.
I installed eMatrix and then HTTPS Always. I restarted the browser and the toolbar button was still there. I also moved the buttons using customize and after restart it was in the correct position. I then installed the other extension and eMatrix was still there.

Suetonius

Unread post by Suetonius » 2020-02-03, 22:28

First of all thank you a lot for keeping ematrix (umatrix) alive for Pale Moon and thanks for your quick response! :thumbup: I can confirm in a new profile no problems here but in an old customized profile with a lot of add-ons and settings ematrix toolbar icon becomes unstable. I think it is a combination of add-ons and settings which causes the vanishing of the toolbar icon. I couldn't observe such problems in umatrix 0.9.3.6. Maybe some code has changed and can be backported. I'm not a developer or programmer. It's just an idea. I'll investigate the problem in my new fresh profile and report if I find reproducible situations. Best regards :coffee:

doofy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by doofy » 2020-02-03, 23:56

Here, using uMatrix 1.1.4, I take it for granted that a new extension that demands a restart and adds a button to the toolbar is very likely to knock uMatrix (and probably also uB0) off.
Never lost either from customize though.

Andrew Herbert

Unread post by Andrew Herbert » 2020-02-04, 19:29

There are unofficial versions of uBlock Origin for pre-Catalina Safari and pre-Chromium Edge. Did Gorhill not allow you to use the name "uMatrix"? :eh:

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-02-05, 00:44

Andrew Herbert wrote:
2020-02-04, 19:29
There are unofficial versions of uBlock Origin for pre-Catalina Safari and pre-Chromium Edge. Did Gorhill not allow you to use the name "uMatrix"? :eh:
Not sure what you are asking.
They are different programs so they have different names.

About the toolbar button, certainly code changed, but it was changed by gorhill since I started the fork at version 1.x.
Even if I were to revert the button handling code, I wouldn't be able to actually check if it fixes the issue since I can't reproduce it.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-02-10, 10:47

I pushed an experimental feature to uncloak first-party trackers ( viewtopic.php?f=66&t=23298 ).
If possible, it would be useful if some of you test it out.
To try it you will have to build the extension from git's master branch, it's not associated with a release number due to its status as experimental.
Make sure to read the help text in the settings!
If no major issues are found (or enough time has passed), I'll officially release it as 4.2.0.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-03-09, 12:39

4.2.0 is out.
If you have automatic updates you'll get the new version eventually; otherwise, remember to update the extension.

karlkracher
Fanatic
Fanatic

missing text in settings

Unread post by karlkracher » 2020-03-09, 14:33

Pale Moon 28.8.4, german language pack, ematrix 4.2.0

First setting under "Konforteinstellungen" probably is missing a translation and defaults to english.

But what are the last one under "Matrix" and "Privatsphäre" respectively?
matrix.png

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-03-09, 15:51

They are new strings I forgot to add to non-english locales.
Sorry about that, I'll fix it as soon as possible.
By the way, english on non-english locales does mean a lack of translation, so if you want to help... :)

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-03-09, 16:27

Managed to fix it pretty much immediately.
Should work now with 4.2.1, hopefully. :coffee:

Andrew Herbert

Unread post by Andrew Herbert » 2020-03-09, 17:53

Reddit doesn't work properly anymore, only after disabling eMatrix on Add-ons Manager. :(

Edit: Or disabing Resolve CNAME records on eMatrix settings.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-03-09, 18:15

Andrew Herbert wrote:
2020-03-09, 17:53
Edit: Or disabing Resolve CNAME records on eMatrix settings.
Please read the helpful tooltip before toggling any setting.
It clearly explains that the feature breaks existing whitelists.

Andrew Herbert

Unread post by Andrew Herbert » 2020-03-12, 15:23

How about adding an option to disable CNAME handling per-scope? This feature exists in the official uMatrix (and also it would be nice to have recipes).

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-03-12, 16:30

Andrew Herbert wrote:
2020-03-12, 15:23
How about adding an option to disable CNAME handling per-scope? This feature exists in the official uMatrix.
When I learn how to do it it will happen.
Patches are welcomed.
Andrew Herbert wrote:
2020-03-12, 15:23
(and also it would be nice to have recipes)
Not going to happen.
If you use this extension you implicitly agree to learn how the websites you visit work and what to do to fix them if they break.
No shortcuts made by other people.

mabloom

Unread post by mabloom » 2020-03-19, 22:28

Not going to happen.
If you use this extension you implicitly agree to learn how the websites you visit work and what to do to fix them if they break.
No shortcuts made by other people.
While I consider myself technically proficient in a number of areas, an attribute I believe I share with many, and perhaps most, of those who use web browsers is that I can't count knowledge and understanding of the protocols protocols used by today's web browsers and web servers as being among my own proficiencies (although a few years before the end of the last century, following layoff of most of the Unix Kernel development team I was part of, I was able to quickly learn enough raw HTML and Javascript to ride off the time between jobs with a consulting gig, manually writing most of the browser side code for a "second tier" Japanese car manufacturer's web site... But I'm no longer the same person. I've lost an indeterminate number of grey cells since my retirement). I suspect that at the same time as most users want and believe that they should be able to expect a safe and secure web experience, most also lack the all of the knowledge and experience of Pale Moon's developers. I have seen nothing on the Pale Moon download site to tell users that they might need it, or be expected to have it. The closes thing there is the "Welcome to become involved".

I'd like to hope that, when suggesting that the extension Pale Moon officially sanctions for script security is not intended to be used by those who are either not prepared to, or are not capable of "fixing it when it breaks", either some alternative means of making Pale Moon safe in a sea of potentially dangerous scripts be recommended, or that potential Pale Moon users be warned prior to downloading it that it's developers have asserted that it can't be used safely by anyone who lacks some specified amount of proficiency with web protocols. That way, at some future time, when they eventually become aware of the dangers inherent in the scripts that get downloaded as part of web traffic, they won't feel blindsided in being told that the extension which is sanctioned (I hesitate to use the words " extension which is supported", after only just now having learned what it is that I've "implicitly agreed to") for making Pale moon safe for them to use is only intended for those capable of sharing in it's maintenance.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-03-19, 23:14

Please don't reflect your inability or unwillingness to accept the extension authors' word about their extension on the "Pale Moon developers" (myself included).

It's not advertised that it's needed because it isn't. We go through great lengths to give you a perfectly safe and secure browser out of the box without any extensions installed. If you decide you want to use extensions to shape the browser to your preferred way of working, then you have to accept that certain extensions work a certain way. If you don't like it then you are always free to fork or create your own extension to do it more exactly to your liking.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-03-19, 23:25

Just because an extension is on the Add-ons Site doesn't mean it is recommended by anyone or even wise to use. We don't play that game. While every effort is made to make sure extensions don't fundamentally bust the application or cause direct harm or compromise the security of users that is the extent of which we extend our influence to what is on the Add-ons Site.

There are no top 10 lists no recommended extensions no popularity contests.. Just what is there is what is there and it is YOUR responsibility to choose to use them or not.

If you want a browser vendor that will think for you then perhaps try one of the Five Flavors of Chrome. They will make all sorts of warm and fuzzy claims and give you no way to be sure what they are saying is the truth let alone change it.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-03-20, 01:14

I'm only going to clarify some points, just in case Moonchild and Tobin's posts are not enough and you want a word from the author himself:
  1. The Pale Moon and Basilisk authors have nothing to do with this extension. Any particular decision is made entirely by me, either on my own or after hearing from other users of the extension.
  2. The use of this extension is a starting point to learn how the modern web works. The extension shows you (as much as possible) what goes on with a website; learning how the extension works means learning how modern websites works. This is the main reason why "recipes" are a no-go.
  3. I will update the description on the add-ons site to spell the words "For advanced users only" in bold.