Trying to build, struggling

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Re: Trying to build, struggling

Unread post by dbsoft » 2020-03-01, 17:10

adesh wrote:
2020-03-01, 16:34
There is no reason to behave like you behaved
Well that is what I felt about your comment. You could have just linked that URL, I am new to this so I asked. Telling me I shouldn't ask that accomplished what? It was just rude in my opinion unless I was breaking some forum rule I didn't know about.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-03-01, 17:32

Off-topic:
dbsoft wrote:
2020-03-01, 17:10
Well that is what I felt about your comment. You could have just linked that URL, I am new to this so I asked. Telling me I shouldn't ask that accomplished what? It was just rude in my opinion unless I was breaking some forum rule I didn't know about.
Let me try and translate this for you then...
"You shouldn't be asking this question" is not the same as "telling you not to ask the question" and it being a faux pas. There's a subtle difference here but perhaps without tone of voice that kind of subtlety is easily lost. I'm sure what was meant was that "all things considered, there is no reason for you to ask the question", considering you are familiar with svn and mercurial and as a result with how repositories work. Repositories have commit histories for a reason, and it's really expected that someone interested i the repo enough to actually want to produce builds does some research into repo activity, i.e.: checking the kind of work done, how the repo is organized, etc... even if ever so briefly.

On top, you don't need to know all git commands... or even any, if you use a GUI client, for that matter (e.g. SourceTree), but even as said visiting GitHub would give you an overview without having to "know" git commands.

So, let's just chalk this up to a miscommunication, and not get hung up on it, shall we? :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by dbsoft » 2020-03-01, 17:41

Moonchild wrote:
2020-03-01, 17:32
So, let's just chalk this up to a miscommunication, and not get hung up on it, shall we? :)
I am not hung up on it... just didn't appreciate someone going through the effort of posting just to say I shouldn't be asking a question which seems like a reasonable question to ask.

I asked it as an aside to the post I was already making, if I wasn't posting already I wouldn't have bothered posting individually to ask that question I would have done some more research into it.

All it did was annoy me, so I just kindly ask that future thoughts like that be kept to themselves and go through the effort of posting just to say that. ;)

Was my posting of my build in the MacOS forum fine?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-03-01, 18:14

dbsoft wrote:
2020-03-01, 17:41
Was my posting of my build in the MacOS forum fine?
Should be, I guess? I have no way of verifying since I don't own a Mac.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by dbsoft » 2020-03-01, 18:20

Moonchild wrote:
2020-03-01, 18:14
Should be, I guess? I have no way of verifying since I don't own a Mac.
Well allowed I mean, wasn't sure if there were any requirements for posting a build. I made it with the suggested settings on Build Pale Moon on macOS and targeting 10.7 like it said Official builds would be.

Didn't expect you would test it yourself. ;)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-03-01, 19:54

No, posting them is fine. As long as you're not using official branding on them, that is ;)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-03-02, 07:10

I checked. It isn't using official branding.

BTW, you don't have to run it to check basic things.. Branding is in browser omnijar and buildconfig is in gre omnijar. 7zip currently allows full passthrough from dmg to omnijar. Go 7zip!

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by dbsoft » 2020-03-02, 10:57

I have discovered the problem with the builds done on Catalina. Apparently in 10.15 dladdr() returns the absolute path of the file instead of the path of the symlink. Here are (some of) the contents of New Moon.app/Contents/MacOS:

Code: Select all

lrwxr-xr-x   1 ....  staff     91 Mar  1 12:30 libnss3.dylib -> /Users/..../work/github/UXP/obj-x86_64-apple-darwin19.3.0/config/external/nss/libnss3.dylib
lrwxr-xr-x   1 ....  staff     84 Mar  1 12:30 libsoftokn3.dylib -> /Users/..../work/github/UXP/obj-x86_64-apple-darwin19.3.0/dist/lib/libsoftokn3.dylib
It attempts to load libsoftokn3.dylib by using PR_GetLibraryFilePathname() which uses dladdr() to determine the path to libnss3.dylib. Prior to 10.15 this would return the New Moon.app/Contents/MacOS/ path on 10.15 however it uses the real path which is /Users/..../work/github/UXP/obj-x86_64-apple-darwin19.3.0/config/external/nss/. And libsoftokn3.dylib is not located there causing NSS to fail. Mozilla fixed this by copying the files to the .app/Contents/MacOS instead of using symbolic links.

Here is the patch that fixes Mozilla builds:

https://hg.mozilla.org/releases/comm-es ... 071a78d512

If you want to implement a similar fix for Pale Moon.

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by dbsoft » 2020-03-03, 15:07

So if I wish to get this fix into the palemoon tree so builds can be done and tested on Catalina, is the Mozilla patch enough? Do I need to make a patch specifically for palemoon/basilisk? Do I need to create a patch/fork on github that you can pull in? It isn't clear to me what the next step is to get this fix implemented.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-03-03, 15:28