Pale Moon 28.8.0

Discussions for the Apple Mac OS builds of Pale Moon

Moderator: dbsoft

Forum rules
Important note:
The old Mac OS versions of Pale Moon were provided by various people and not official or in any way organized. Please make sure you check the date of topic threads to know if the topic is current or relevant! We are using this board for both old discussions and new development of Pale Moon on Mac.

Any specific bugs you find that don't have their own topic yet: please make a new topic; one bug per topic please to keep things organized.
KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Pale Moon 28.8.0

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2020-01-23, 23:03

That may be so, but it does play for half the people.

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2020-01-30, 21:03

I have not been active on the forum for some time. I am about to move from Windows to Apple for my desktop system. I would really love to have Pale Moon make the move with me.

From what I have read here support for P M for Apple is somewhat sketchy. I am wondering if there were some amount of funding available which would be used to compensate the people doing the work on the Apple version and/or to purchases apple hardware so folks could use it to road test P M for Mac code. if that would help? Are there enough Apple users who want P M that we might be able collectively to donate enough to provide some form of financial support? I am not talking about providing people with a living wage, rather something that makes it worthwhile to give their time to such a project. Once I get my new Mac system set-up, if such a funding project were to make sense, I offer to donate $50/month for the next 18 months.

Right now my plan is to buy a Mac Mini and then get the rest of the hardware (keyboard, mouse, screen, external HD etc.) I want online. I had planned to have this all done by now, unfortunately health issues delayed those plans. I expect I will be back looking for help with P M for Mac in the near future.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-01-30, 21:23

No amount of funding short of hiring someone to be a full time apple developer is going to help the situation on Macintosh. Not to mention there is no real expectation that a paid developer will be ANY BETTER than someone who is passionate-for-a-time about Pale Moon, talks a big game, is given responsibility, then fails to live up.

Unless that changes, machintosh support is second class AT BEST. Unless you want to buy either Moonchild or my self a semi-modern Machintosh system with the specs needed to build the thing.

As for our series of successions in Pale Moon for Macintosh builders the only one out of what FIVE now that hasn't lost my respect is SpockFan02 and while he has done some stuff back in 2018 maybe a little in early 2019 as it stands today it is just drive-by builds. Not an official release with support.

KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2020-01-30, 22:37

I wouldn't call PM on Mac "sketchy", since it works as intended. Only minor and rare website incompatibilities, most of which are solved by faking a Firefox user agent.

asimperson
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by asimperson » 2020-02-07, 22:18

We're probably just playing semantics, but it mostly works. I use the Windows and Mac versions of Pale Moon everyday and there are definitely Mac-specific issues that haven't been fixed because there's no one actually working on it. Forward/back gestures have been broken for a while and there's a bug with certain themes that causes windows spawned by the UI (like the URL bar dropdown or the uBlock window) to not appear.

HarmonicResonance

Unread post by HarmonicResonance » 2020-02-08, 00:27

It's definitely not sketchy.

I think the idea of pooling money for hw/sw, even putting financial bounties on certain bugs is a great idea. I can contribute.

To pick up a prior thread, I also think it's a bit of a bummer that nobody was willing to be part of a team to build PM regularly.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-02-08, 02:44

There were people willing to but only to a point. Then they vanish or go anti-Pale Moon when the going gets tough.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2020-02-09, 18:51

Does the 28.8.1 security announcement also mean that the current 28.8.0 New Moon/Mac version is affected? Best not to use until a newer one is released?

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2020-02-09, 19:31

back2themoon wrote:
2020-02-09, 18:51
Does the 28.8.1 security announcement also mean that the current 28.8.0 New Moon/Mac version is affected?
Yes. As it says, "All versions of Pale Moon prior to v28.8.1" are vulnerable.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

HarmonicResonance

Unread post by HarmonicResonance » 2020-02-09, 23:08

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-02-08, 02:44
There were people willing to but only to a point. Then they vanish or go anti-Pale Moon when the going gets tough.
I think it would be helpful if people who could contribute to some degree could join together. We wouldn't need any one person to do 100% of it, as long the team members could split up the work, whatever that entails (I'm a bit fuzzy on the details).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-02-10, 10:03

HarmonicResonance wrote:
2020-02-09, 23:08
I think it would be helpful if people who could contribute to some degree could join together.
You're asking people to actually cooperate and coordinate out of their own volition? That's very rare these days.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by dbsoft » 2020-02-21, 17:51

I am interested in helping out, I haven't specifically tried building Pale Moon on the Mac, but I have participated in Mozilla development years ago on a different platform (OS/2) and I am a cross platform developer, my own personal development library (Dynamic Windows) https://hg.dbsoft.org/dwindows supports Mac in addition to Unix (GTK2/3), Windows and OS/2.

I have several Macs from a Powermac G4, MacPro1,1 MacPro3,1 MacPro11,1 and MacBookAir7,2.

I test my software on macOS 10.4 (PPC), 10.6, 10.7, 10.11, 10.12, 10.13, 10.14 and 10.15.

I can offer up these environments to build and test Pale Moon builds on.

What kind of specific coordination would you require, I would like to help get Pale Moon to be fully supported on the Mac. Pale Moon is my favorite browser on Windows and while I use Firefox primary on the Mac I do download builds from this forum regularly. I had been waiting for official builds to switch over from Firefox on the Mac.

Thanks,
Brian Smith

disconect

Unread post by disconect » 2020-02-23, 21:58

dbsoft wrote:
2020-02-21, 17:51
I am interested in helping out, I haven't specifically tried building Pale Moon on the Mac, but I have participated in Mozilla development years ago on a different platform (OS/2) and I am a cross platform developer, my own personal development library (Dynamic Windows) https://hg.dbsoft.org/dwindows supports Mac in addition to Unix (GTK2/3), Windows and OS/2.

I have several Macs from a Powermac G4, MacPro1,1 MacPro3,1 MacPro11,1 and MacBookAir7,2.

I test my software on macOS 10.4 (PPC), 10.6, 10.7, 10.11, 10.12, 10.13, 10.14 and 10.15.

I can offer up these environments to build and test Pale Moon builds on.

What kind of specific coordination would you require, I would like to help get Pale Moon to be fully supported on the Mac. Pale Moon is my favorite browser on Windows and while I use Firefox primary on the Mac I do download builds from this forum regularly. I had been waiting for official builds to switch over from Firefox on the Mac.

Thanks,
Brian Smith
I think you should do it, you sound perfect. I hope someone can provide official builds soon. I'm trying to build it myself and struggling. I just started using a Mac and not having Pale Moon is driving me CRAZY!