Question about Skia

Discussions about the development and maturation of the platform code (UXP).
Warning: may contain highly-technical topics.

Moderators: trava90, athenian200

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Question about Skia

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-02-21, 11:01

This is more of a curiosity than anything else, but I'm trying to understand why various rebuilds based on Pale Moon code decided to disable Skia in their configuration.
What's the reasoning behind this? Is it something we should consider?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Question about Skia

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-02-21, 11:23

I don't see any significant font differences...
Attachments
Cairo.png
Direct2D.png
Skia.png
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2020-02-21, 11:32

Me neither, and roytam1 did not disable skia, AFAIK. Perhaps Fedor2 has something to add.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-02-21, 11:40

Remember they are XP. So rendering may be different between the two on old and insecure operating systems from 19 years ago.

roytam1

Unread post by roytam1 » 2020-02-21, 14:02

JustOff wrote:
2020-02-21, 11:32
Me neither, and roytam1 did not disable skia, AFAIK. Perhaps Fedor2 has something to add.
I do want to try disabling it because Skia doesn't look good with CJK ideographs.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2020-02-21, 14:17

Is the Direct2D/Hardware acceleration on/off status related to this?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-02-21, 15:40

roytam1 wrote:
2020-02-21, 14:02
Skia doesn't look good with CJK ideographs
Do you have an example page that is particularly troublesome so I can compare?

Of note, we haven't used Skia for content, only for canvas for quite a while, it's either direct2d+cairo, cg, or cairo depending on your O.S., but that has been primarily because of stability concerns around the UXP fork point (and it doesn't play nice with XRender either).

Fedor2

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2020-02-22, 08:59

So the skia story: before 52 firefox things looked good and i did not know such words at all, but b mozilla changed skia code and made put it before cairo in the 52. It was dirext2d,cairo,skia and became dirext2d,skia,cairo. That was bad for winxp users, fonts showed tired and strike eyes, meanwhile win7 users did not noticed that because they have direct2d first. I decided to exclude skia from building to save the binary code, but recently i was asked to restore skia, well code will be plumper than.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-02-22, 09:31

Thanks for responding.

As stated above I tested on Win 7 in all 3 modes and didn't see any issues in the current release version. Direct2d isn't always available (depends on HWA being available and enabled or not, etc.).
By the way direct2d,cairo,skia makes no sense because cairo will always be there and usable, so skia will never be selected in that case. That order would have been a genuine bug.

If the consideration is only for XP's font handling then that answers my question. Thank you.