PM jumps to previous page randomly

Users and developers helping users with generic and technical Pale Moon issues on all operating systems.

Moderator: trava90

Forum rules
This board is for technical/general usage questions and troubleshooting for the Pale Moon browser only.
Technical issues and questions not related to the Pale Moon browser should be posted in other boards!
Please keep off-topic and general discussion out of this board, thank you!
Campus
Moongazer
Moongazer

PM jumps to previous page randomly

Unread post by Campus » 2020-02-17, 22:02

Hi,

I'm a long time PM user on Windows and never had any big issues. Now I am evaluating Linux as my main platform and also installed PM into my home directory as described in the according install guide.
To keep my setup I copied my Windows profile to Linux and updated settings to use it. While surfing the net I experienced jumps back to previous pages randomly. So let's say I enter the first address and scroll down the page and read some stuff then PM starts going back to the initial page loaded when opening PM. When browsing even more it could also happen that PM jumps back to a page that was previously open on another tab.

My first attempt to fix this was creating a new empty profile via about:profiles without installing any additional extensions. Unfortunately the problem still occurs from time to time so I am now out of ideas and hope for help here.

My system is Kubuntu 18.04 LTS.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: PM jumps to previous page randomly

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-02-17, 22:35

Campus wrote:
2020-02-17, 22:02
To keep my setup I copied my Windows profile to Linux
Please NEVER do this. If you want to synchronize your Windows and Linux installations please use the Pale Moon Sync service. Just copying a profile from one OS to a different one creates corrupt profiles (might not be immediately obvious, but e.g. paths stored in various files will be dead wrong and cause problems internally)

As for the navigation issue, please check if you're not inadvertently using additional mouse buttons (e.g. thumb buttons that are often default linked to navigation) or potentially gestures configured in your desktop environment.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Campus
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Campus » 2020-02-17, 22:58

Moonchild wrote:
2020-02-17, 22:35
Campus wrote:
2020-02-17, 22:02
To keep my setup I copied my Windows profile to Linux
Please NEVER do this. If you want to synchronize your Windows and Linux installations please use the Pale Moon Sync service. Just copying a profile from one OS to a different one creates corrupt profiles (might not be immediately obvious, but e.g. paths stored in various files will be dead wrong and cause problems internally)
Ok, thanks for the hint. I will create my profile from scratch then.
Moonchild wrote:
2020-02-17, 22:35
As for the navigation issue, please check if you're not inadvertently using additional mouse buttons (e.g. thumb buttons that are often default linked to navigation) or potentially gestures configured in your desktop environment.
With your idea I searched the gesture settings but none was used by PM. Then I learned that FF had a setting that clicking the middle button has additional functionality which lead me to
middlemouse.contentLoadURL
which fixes the problem when changed to false.
Is this option used for other things as well or is it safe to be changed through about:config?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-02-17, 23:09

Ah yeah that would be it. It would load whatever URL is on your clipboard if middle-clicking the content area by mistake (except for textboxes which will paste)
It's perfectly safe to disable this if you don't want this behavior (it's Linux specific to have that default to true, by the way); it's not used for anything else.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-02-17, 23:18

The other issue with sharing profiles is set prefs that == the default are cleared from user set status so if you turm that pref off in linux then back on windows the user set pref will be the same as the windows default state and the redundent user set status will be cleared then back on linux where the default is different will be the state used because there is no user set state of the pref.

Another reason not to copy or share profiles between target platforms.